Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2018, 04:37 AM   #1

Freightliner Custom chassis tilt steering wheel

Yesterday when getting ready to head home form a short trip, notice the steering wheel tilt not acting correctly. There is a foot pedal at the base of the steering column that releases the tilt lock and allows the steering wheel to be tilted. The tilt occurs at the wheel, not the column base. Normal function is to press the lever and springs return wheel up to non-tilted position.

Yesterday I can lock the steering wheel in the down position but not the up or midway. Got home, parked, unloaded some and went to back into the polebarn and now the steering wheel is like a limp noodle at the top of the adjustment and hydraulic oil got on the top of my left shoe. Release leave having no effect, wheel at top of adjustment with couple inches of flop. It was getting dark and not time last night to troubleshoot. There appear to be 2 covers for the steering column that I can remove to see the guts of the column.

From the previous proper working action, it almost felt like there was a hydraulic cylinder which released the column and allowed the tilt, The release leaver also has a rod with extends up along the column to the steering wheel. Perhaps a release leaver. Later today I'll pull the covers and see what's there. Anyone here worked on one can give advice. Not sure if drivable at this point. Need to turn it around in a couple days so will find out.

I searched for a parts breakdown, exploded view, and couldn't find one.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2018, 04:54 AM   #2

FCCC

Maybe call Freightliner with the last six of your VIN.
1-800-385-4357. They answer 24/7

Webz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 05:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webz View Post
Maybe call Freightliner with the last six of your VIN.
1-800-385-4357. They answer 24/7
I'll try that later today but hoped someone had a parts diagram. That will help in troubleshooting
Old 04-21-2018, 12:03 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Winnebago/FCCC use TRW steering columns if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure when you call Gaffney, they will confirm that one way or the other. TRW has a wealth of information with troubleshooting guides and diagrams on their website as soon as you find the model number of the steering column from FCCC.

Here's an example of one of their service bulletins ...probably not for your particular application but to show how comprehensive they get. Once you find out the model number of your steering column, most likely you can look up the troubleshooting guides for that model.

https://www.trwaftermarket.com/globa...-sp/col104.pdf

Service manual for that model:

https://www.trwaftermarket.com/globa...ns-sm/tc34.pdf

With all that said, Gaffney may be able to just diagnose your problem over the phone and instruct you on the procedure to take to solve the problem.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 12:36 AM   #5

Steering Wheel

I just repaired my steering column. The wheel would go up and down but would NOT tilt. After removing the shrouds around the column these up-down and tilt functions are clearly visible on how they work. Its not complicated at all. There is no grease and or fluids involved at all. Give it a shot, you'll be surprised on how easy it is.

For reference, I have a 2010 Tiffin Pheaton 40QTH with a Freightliner XCR chassis.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:42 AM   #6

Here's where I'm at right now. I took the shroud interior pieces off the steering column, 3 pieces. Exposed, I could see how it supposedly works. The tilt mechanism is controlled by a gas cylinder. Yes this column is made by TRW. I did call the FL help line and the rep was able to send me an exploded view of the column and a number to TRW. Other than that the rep didn't have any diagnostic solutions. While on the phone I did read off the TRW cylinder #.

Here's how it works. The tilt of the wheel is a simple hinge of the top of the steering column. The tilting is controlled by a gas charged oil filled cylinder made by Suspa that goes in the TRW column. The foot pedal releases the telescoping lock and by a cable, opens a relief valve on the end of the gas cylinder allowing it to be extended/retracted. It's a lockable gas cylinder. Apparently I have had an internal failure of the gas cylinder.

Suspa makes all kinds of gas cylinders such as the ones holding a hatchback up, chair positions etc. This one is lockable so it firmly holds the tilt position while driving. By the time I had figured out how it worked and determined what I needed, it was late on Friday afternoon and everybody is closed. I searched the part numbers for sale but nothing on eBay, Amazon, etc. I can find a ton of truck steering columns though. Not the same. Monday I'll be on the phone with Suspa and try to order it. Hopefully I won't have to go through a local FL shop to get it. I probably can reinstall and adjust it in order to move the motorhome but I'll have a floppy steering wheel. I do need to fix it because I'll be selling the motorhome and something like this needs to work correctly.

Thanks for the replies and help.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:49 AM   #7

[QUOTE=theroc;4148944]

Here's an example of one of their service bulletins ...probably not for your particular application but to show how comprehensive they get. Once you find out the model number of your steering column, most likely you can look up the troubleshooting guides for that model.

https://www.trwaftermarket.com/globa...-sp/col104.pdf

Service manual for that model:

https://www.trwaftermarket.com/globa...ns-sm/tc34.pdf

I'll try and find what the TRW model number is for that steering column and see what I can find. There is a TRW number on the Suspa gas cylinder but it's a 12 character number. More research later today. Hopefully I can find a diagram similar to the one you attached.

Tags
chassis, freightliner, steering