Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2019, 10:40 PM   #1

Unhappy Freightliner Dash Guages

Hi, I have a 2007 Fleetwood Expedition with the same problem with my dash guages. They sometimes work, and sometimes won't. I've spent many trips to Freightliner dealers and RV shops to try and get this problem resolved, but no one has found the root of the problem. Freightliner in Gaffney, S.C., had me or the Freightliner Technicians replace all the guages wiring twice, both air gauges, the Tachometer, and the Light Control Bar. This has gone on since 2017. I read the Bulletin mentioned in the Troubleshooting guide mentioned above, but it doesn't apply for my year RV. I completed a 6500 mile trip to Utah and back to Maine, and they worked the whole trip. ONE day I went in my RV to get some items, and had to start it to open the slides. Then, it happened again, they quit. I am at my wits end in bringing my coach to anyone, as no one seems to know how to tackle this problem. The Techs at Freightliner in Gaffney, don't have any idea what the problem is, except to say replace the guages. The guages aren't the problem, as they work when, whatever stops them from working, decides to kick in again. If anyone can help with my issue, it will greatly be appreciated. I don't believe that I'm the only one with this issue, with this particular Model and year Expedition or Fleetwood brand.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2019, 07:52 AM   #2

does your coach have the dreaded Freightliner VDC?
It just sounds like a cold solder joint somewhere.... or a loose ground wire?
When they stop working, do they all stop working or just certain gauges? My fuel gauge was intermittent, and it was a bad ground to the dash. My air pressure gauge stopped working, but it was actually the gauge that went bad. (And i re-soldered my VDC too.)
RVPastorKevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV2GOFLORIDA View Post
Hi, I have a 2007 Fleetwood Expedition with the same problem with my dash guages. They sometimes work, and sometimes won't. I've spent many trips to Freightliner dealers and RV shops to try and get this problem resolved, but no one has found the root of the problem. Freightliner in Gaffney, S.C., had me or the Freightliner Technicians replace all the guages wiring twice, both air gauges, the Tachometer, and the Light Control Bar. This has gone on since 2017. I read the Bulletin mentioned in the Troubleshooting guide mentioned above, but it doesn't apply for my year RV. I completed a 6500 mile trip to Utah and back to Maine, and they worked the whole trip. ONE day I went in my RV to get some items, and had to start it to open the slides. Then, it happened again, they quit. I am at my wits end in bringing my coach to anyone, as no one seems to know how to tackle this problem. The Techs at Freightliner in Gaffney, don't have any idea what the problem is, except to say replace the guages. The guages aren't the problem, as they work when, whatever stops them from working, decides to kick in again. If anyone can help with my issue, it will greatly be appreciated. I don't believe that I'm the only one with this issue, with this particular Model and year Expedition or Fleetwood brand.
I believe you are dealing with a data link problem. My 2002 freight liner has this system and information for the dash is transmitted over from the Engine Control Module (ECM) through a single data line. An open or short in this line will shut it down. You should search out a freight liner dealer that has a competent tech and the required scan tool to check this out. Freightliner Co should help with finding on in your area. There should be a contact number for them in your manual. Hope this helps.
Joe O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, freightliner