Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2007, 05:29 AM   #1

We are looking to purchase a 38-40 ft. diesel MH and would like to hear any pros and cons of the Freightliner and Spartan chassis.

I like the turning radius of the Freightliner for parking,etc. but would like a comparison. Are both air-ride? I have only driven one deisel and it was on a Freightliner.

Thanks for your help.
Ragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2007, 05:29 AM   #2

We are looking to purchase a 38-40 ft. diesel MH and would like to hear any pros and cons of the Freightliner and Spartan chassis.

I like the turning radius of the Freightliner for parking,etc. but would like a comparison. Are both air-ride? I have only driven one deisel and it was on a Freightliner.

Thanks for your help.
Ragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:05 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Larry:

While I'm satisfied overall with the Freightliner chassis on my current rig, I'd certainly drive something with a Spartan before I'd buy another rig. I believe the Spartan has a more efficient cooling set up in the side radiation configuration (they stack the radiator and intercooler rather than make a sandwich like Freightliner). Both have air ride.

Cruzer has previously posted a good comparison of the two and perhaps will weigh-in here.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:28 PM   #4

Larry, had 2 Freightliners and now have a Spartan. Yes, the FL has a great turning radius;; but, on my coach Spartan has independent front suspension which is a real dream considering the condition of some highways today.

Both of our Freightliners had rear radiator and our Spartan has a side radiator which I much prefer as there is much better access to engine for maintenance and repair. When under warranty this saves you time at a shop-when out of warranty that time saving coonverts to dollar savings.

Overall I think the Spartan has a smoother ride than what we had on either of our FL.

The new front engine diesels, aka FRED do not have air ride even though they are on a Freightliner as it is not a raised rail chassis. Ken,'04 DSDP...
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 05:05 PM   #5

Each makes different levels. FL had XC, Evolution, and others. Spartan has straight front axle, IFS and others. $100,000 makes a big difference in what you get between the two. For years, the FL XC was the standard and what was expected in the lower price ranges. Now, I suggest shopping more carefully to get a better "full" air suspension. Research this point fully - DON'T believe the salesmen on this question!
webhannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 12:09 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I would recommend that you not only do your homework on the chassis issue; as it is an important factor, I would recommend you drive many different makes and floor plans of coach builders as well. They control the balance and center of gravity built onto these chassis. Good luck and enjoy the hunt.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:07 AM   #7

LA Gulf Coast Campers
I would recommmed that you make a list of things you want in a motorhome, then when you find that combination you purchase it with the chassis that manufacturer has.

My must have list was:
Fiberglass roof
Full Queen bed, no shortie queen.
basement central air with heat pump

Then there were a few goodies that I liked:
Front full steel frame with the windshield mounted on the steel frame, not the fiberglass body.
Double insulated windows
Insulated tanks in basement
Diesel with diesel generator
Energy management system.

Then there was manufacturer reputation.
At the time I purchased, my brother was service manager of the local Monaco dealer. They offered me a coach at dealer cost plus $100. My brother recommended I pass on Monaco.

Turns out that Winnebago had all of my "must have" list and also my nice to have ..

With my coach I got a Freightliner chassis. Freightliner has been super. Great support. (no pun).

I would buy the exact same coach today.

Walt
Old 05-01-2007, 05:37 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Both FL and Spartan offer so many chassis options to motorhome manufacturers, so you can't just say one is better or worse than the other. You need to figure out what chassis features are important to you and select a coach that offers those features. And now manufacturers like American Coach and Winnebago actually modify the base chassis to produce their own unique versions of those chassis (Liberty/Spartan for American, Evolution/FL for Winnebago).

You should also consider the Roadmaster chassis that is used in all Monaco/Holiday, Beaver/Safari coaches.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote