Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2016, 05:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Which models? The chassis is different as you go up the food chain.
Entegra Anthem and Newmar Mountain Air (if this is a comparable unit). Trying hard to compare apples to apples in the different brands.

HarleyOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2016, 05:48 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
It's a tough call. At one time Spartan was the clear winner but Freightliner has caught up to great degree. When I shopped for a Dutchstar in 2002, FL was standard and Spartan was a $6000 option. I drove both on the same afternoon, and decided that the Spartan drove better and was worth the upcharge. That was easy to analyze, because the two coaches I drove were identical except for the chassis.

Today, Newmar offers either chassis at the same price. Ideally, you could do as I did, and drive the Mountain Aire with both chassis to make your own comparison. You can't do that with an Anthem, as they only come with a Spartan chassis.

Old 05-13-2016, 04:42 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
...I bought a new 2014 freightliner...they need independant front suspension...
Freightliner has an IFS in the higher end coaches and, based on information received at a rally this week, FL has 80% of the MH market.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:29 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyOutlaw View Post
Pardon me for wanting information that isn't 2 model years old. I did a search and the newest inflo is from 2015.
Sorry. Both are manufactured so both have strengths and issues. If the newest information is 2015 it is pretty new. Chassis design does not change significantly from year to year. As well it generally takes a bit of time for issues to arise.

Many times issues are a result of the chassis selection by the coach manufacturer. An example is the recent issue with Newmar and the front axle issue on the DS line.

Good luck in your search.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:43 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Freightliner has an IFS in the higher end coaches and, based on information received at a rally this week, FL has 80% of the MH market.
wish they would make it in the smaller size... I wanna drive around town in a 26'r and get there in a 44'r
Old 05-13-2016, 06:55 AM   #20
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyOutlaw View Post
Entegra Anthem and Newmar Mountain Air (if this is a comparable unit). Trying hard to compare apples to apples in the different brands.
If you specify the Spartan chassis on the Mountain Aire both would be on a K2 chassis. A quick scan of the specs, however, shows the Anthem comes with a 17k steer axle, the MA with a 20k axle (even the Freightliner comes with 20K steer axle on the Newmar).

The Mountain Aire comes with the 500hp ISX, 1645 lb ft of torque to the Anthem's 450hp and 1250 lb ft of torque, that's like a 30% difference in torque.

There may be other differences, I've not done a detailed analysis, perhaps others can add something.

I've never driven a coach on a Freightliner chassis so I can't make a direct comparison on ride or handling, except the Comfort Drive is universally lauded by those that have it - not available on the Anthem, but either would be a good choice and would provide miles of memories.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 07:03 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
It comes down to BMW or Mercedes. Both are great machines. Number 1 decision should be the floorplan that works best for you. For me, I hate the majority of Entegra floorplans as they require you to watch TV with your head turned as the TV is off to the side of your seating position. Other than that, I would take either machine, they are both great choices.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:27 AM   #22

If you havent had a tag axle motorhome, you are going to find a significant difference .
I had a 2001 Monaco Diplomat 38. I realize that technology has changed over the years.
I had trouble with the Spartan chassis wondering and large trucks moving me all over the road. I had some inprovements done to it, but no much helped. Last summer I traded at Buddy Gregg Knoxville, Tn for a 2009 Gulfstream Tourmaster 45g. It had a Freightliner chassis. What a difference. I was not exhausted after driving 4-5 hundred miles. Now I realize that the length and weight are all contributing factors. And I am not cutting down Spartan. The larger coach rides very nice and the wife will drive it at times.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:55 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Spartan ;-). I looked at FL and since Daimler/Benz has taken them over I feel they are over engineered. The independent front suspension is a real plus in ride and handling over the straight axle. Also Spartan has kept their product the same throughout the years so parts and service is much easier to deal with. Good luck with your decision.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2010 Chevy Colorado 4X4
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:19 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Sorry. Both are manufactured so both have strengths and issues. If the newest information is 2015 it is pretty new. Chassis design does not change significantly from year to year. As well it generally takes a bit of time for issues to arise.

Many times issues are a result of the chassis selection by the coach manufacturer. An example is the recent issue with Newmar and the front axle issue on the DS line.

Good luck in your search.
We're good. Thanks
Old 05-13-2016, 08:22 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbones View Post
It comes down to BMW or Mercedes. Both are great machines. Number 1 decision should be the floorplan that works best for you. For me, I hate the majority of Entegra floorplans as they require you to watch TV with your head turned as the TV is off to the side of your seating position. Other than that, I would take either machine, they are both great choices.
I like the 44B floorpan in the Entegra. TV is in a corner but seems fine to me. I haven't really found a floorpan in the Newmar line that jumps out to me. Different strokes.........
Old 05-13-2016, 01:55 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
spartan is independant frt suspension and has better air ride....
Quote:
I bought a new 2014 freightliner...they need independant front suspension..
They have do IFS. Just because the coach you bought doesn't include that feature doesn't mean Freightliner doesn't make it.

The only real difference as manufacturers is that Frieghtliner makes available low-end chassis models & configurations that makes them practical for lower priced coaches. Spartan's least chassis model is well into the Freightliner mid-range, so yu won't find Spartan's on low-priced brands or models. If you go to higher-priced coaches, you will find both Freightliner and Spartan, with similar features, e.g. IFS, electronic diagnostic systems, side radiators, etc.

Can anyone seriously claim that a Freightliner SL series chassis is not the equal of anything that Spartan makes?
SL Chassis | Freightliner Chassis RV

Disclosure: I own an American Tradition with a high end Freightliner chassis, including a ZF IFS. The very same coach is available on a Spartan chassis, so it's fairly easy to compare. American Coach owners have been debating Spartan vs Freightliner for a dozen years and about the only thing that is clear is that each has some pluses and minuses. The list of owner complaints is different between the two, but the lists are about equal length.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:18 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
I don't think there are a lot of folks out there who could tell you the difference. Very few of them have had the opportunity to drive identical coaches with the two chassis. Assuming the choice the manufacturer made is similar between brands.

It would take a very controlled situation to set up identical weight distribution and proper tire pressures to drive down the same road in the same conditions.

I doubt there is a whit of difference if the truth be known.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:40 PM   #28

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When we ordered our 2000 DSDP FL chassis with beam axle and CAT 3126 was standard. When we ordered our 2002 paid the extra for the Spartan with IFS and ISC 350.
Now there is very little difference between the two chassis and I'm not sure which I'd order if I were placing an order today.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, freightliner, spartan