Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2016, 09:24 PM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I stand corrected Ed. Thanks.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2016, 03:49 PM   #44

Different perspective. We have a 2013 coach on a Freightliner. We are full time. Rides fantastic. Only have had one warranty issue. All other trips to Freightliner were for scheduled maintenance. My biggest issue with them is they don't make appointments so it's first come first served. My last visit to them, or should I say attempt, was for an alignment. They offered space in their lot but it would be 2 or more days before they could even look at it. This is pretty much across the board with them. Haven't found one who would accommodate us. I will more than likely start to ween myself from them and start patronizing independents from now on.
Martinichuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:36 PM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinichuck View Post
..........My biggest issue with them is they don't make appointments so it's first come first served................,This is pretty much across the board with them........

It's not across the board. Which shop(s) are you speaking of? It's worth noting that every Freightliner shop in the country is a locally owned franchise except one. That one Freightliner owned shop is in Gaffney, SC. They do everything by appt., and they do it very well. We always try to work our way through Gaffney annually for routine service, and I know folks from TX, SD, MI, PA, and FL who do the same.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element
NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:41 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
All other trips to Freightliner were for scheduled maintenance. My biggest issue with them is they don't make appointments so it's first come first served. My last visit to them, or should I say attempt, was for an alignment. They offered space in their lot but it would be 2 or more days before they could even look at it. This is pretty much across the board with them.
Agree with JFXG and we do the same.

I don't know who "they" is, but it's not Freightliner itself. Apparently a local policy at some franchise? Is it an Oasis (motorhome-qualified service) shop or plain old Freightliner truck dealer. Freightliner Custom Chassis is a separate business from Freightliner trucks and not all Freightliner dealers are Oasis shops, which commit to providing services specific to motorhomes.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:06 AM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
I was able to make an appointment with a local Freightliner dealer for service. They would give me a day but not a time.

I got there when they opened and was out in the early afternoon. Nice waiting area and I took a lunch.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:11 PM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W View Post
Usually we agree, but not here. Cornerstone and London Aire would be more comparable.

MADP has 500hp, LADP has 600hp, Cornerstone has 600hp. MADP is roughly 100K less than Cornerstone and LADP. Cornerstone has Spartan K3 chassis, same as LADP with Spartan option. MADP with the Spartan option has a K2 chassis.
Brian, you are correct. Somehow I had king aire on the brain. I would agree, somewhere around london aire to essex would be a better comparison.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:18 PM   #49

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The word we got from Guaranty RV in OR was that the LADP was brought back specifically to compete with the Cornerstone.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:22 PM   #50

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinichuck View Post
Different perspective. We have a 2013 coach on a Freightliner. We are full time. Rides fantastic. Only have had one warranty issue. All other trips to Freightliner were for scheduled maintenance. My biggest issue with them is they don't make appointments so it's first come first served. My last visit to them, or should I say attempt, was for an alignment. They offered space in their lot but it would be 2 or more days before they could even look at it. This is pretty much across the board with them. Haven't found one who would accommodate us. I will more than likely start to ween myself from them and start patronizing independents from now on.
Not surprised. A few years ago we had a starter go out on our ISC Cummins. CN called and was told that the local FL dealer could get it right in. Got towed there and the dealer denied ever saying that and it would be at least a week before they could even look at it. CN then was persuaded to tow it to another dealer but the tow driver and we had the rig back just after midnight that night (a Friday too). FL is set up to service the OTR rigs and not motorhomes.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:03 PM   #51

Spartan used to be king, but Freightliner has passed them in the last few years with new innovation. I have driven both and I really can not tell a difference on the ride. They both have the four big air bags and you can get IFS on both if that is what turns you on. I much prefer the solid I-beam then IFS. Lot of your tour buses have I-beam front suspension.
Freightliner even come out with the Comfort Drive that so many really like which is a TRW innovation.

The thing is that Spartan has had lots of problems with ball joints and has had several recalls in the last two years.

And the best thing about Freightliner is that they are big and have shops every where in this country. They are also big on big road trucks hauling freight. The RV industry is just a small token for that big company.

But either chassis would not be a deal breaker for me.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:03 AM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Usually we agree, but not here. Cornerstone and London Aire would be more comparable.

MADP has 500hp, LADP has 600hp, Cornerstone has 600hp. MADP is roughly 100K less than Cornerstone and LADP. Cornerstone has Spartan K3 chassis, same as LADP with Spartan option. MADP with the Spartan option has a K2 chassis.
Not correct on K2 on MADP, it has a K3, the K2 is offered on the DSDP. Also the Anthem is more in line with the Dutch Star not the Mountain Aire!
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:38 AM   #53

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakebuster View Post
Not correct on K2 on MADP, it has a K3, the K2 is offered on the DSDP. Also the Anthem is more in line with the Dutch Star not the Mountain Aire!

When I wrote this 5 moths ago, the 2017 Mountain Aire wasn't even on dealer lots. The 2016 Mountain Aire came with a K2 as an option at a cost. The 2017's are the first year with the K3. When I wrote this 17 Entegra's were already on dealers lots, Newmar had just finished up dealer days a few weeks earlier, and were still finalizing options.

Aspire, not Anthem was upgraded to go head to head with Dutch Star. Base MSRP for a 17 Aspire is 425k, DSDP 448K. Base MSRP for a MADP is 533K, Anthem 500K. Newmar allows many more options that can make the Mountain Aire get into LADP/Cornerstone range.

Though forum rules prohibit me from saying what brands we carry at my dealership, I'll let you guess at 2 of them.

Not quite sure why I got the exclamation mark.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:04 AM   #54

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
When I wrote this 5 moths ago, the 2017 Mountain Aire wasn't even on dealer lots. The 2016 Mountain Aire came with a K2 as an option at a cost. The 2017's are the first year with the K3. When I wrote this 17 Entegra's were already on dealers lots, Newmar had just finished up dealer days a few weeks earlier, and were still finalizing options.

Aspire, not Anthem was upgraded to go head to head with Dutch Star. Base MSRP for a 17 Aspire is 425k, DSDP 448K. Base MSRP for a MADP is 533K, Anthem 500K. Newmar allows many more options that can make the Mountain Aire get into LADP/Cornerstone range.

Though forum rules prohibit me from saying what brands we carry at my dealership, I'll let you guess at 2 of them.

Not quite sure why I got the exclamation mark.
i purchased my 2015 DS when the 2016's had first come out and did not want to deal with the Front axle issues. I also looked at MADP and Anthem for the 2016 model year.
Anthem had smaller tires than Newmar
Anthem has ISL9 as in DS not the ISX-12 as in MADP
Allison 3000 as DS not the Allison 4000
Did not have Valid air leveling as MADP
Do not get me wrong the Entegra was in our top 3 list to buy, but could not see it priced closer to the MADP without the additional drivetrain upgrades.
One year ago the aspire did not have Nova awnings (integrated) tire size also was down.
After driving the Anthem 44B, Allegro Bus4 5OP and DS4369 we chose the DS in part from Comfort Steer, large pantry on side of refrigerator and watching TV straight on in recliners.
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:12 AM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakebuster View Post
i purchased my 2015 DS when the 2016's had first come out and did not want to deal with the Front axle issues. I also looked at MADP and Anthem for the 2016 model year.

Anthem had smaller tires than Newmar

Anthem has ISL9 as in DS not the ISX-12 as in MADP

Allison 3000 as DS not the Allison 4000

Did not have Valid air leveling as MADP

Do not get me wrong the Entegra was in our top 3 list to buy, but could not see it priced closer to the MADP without the additional drivetrain upgrades.

One year ago the aspire did not have Nova awnings (integrated) tire size also was down.

After driving the Anthem 44B, Allegro Bus4 5OP and DS4369 we chose the DS in part from Comfort Steer, large pantry on side of refrigerator and watching TV straight on in recliners.

They are both great coaches, and yes, there are some notable differences. But I was only comparing base MSRP to Base MSRP when I wrote that. We have one of them with with over 70k in options alone, which puts it's MSRP in a whole different category.

You have one of my favorite coaches and am looking at it or Aspire. We will be ordering late December for an April delivery. Up to the wife which one we get. I will be tickled pink with either.

Have a great day.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, freightliner, spartan