Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2018, 10:21 AM   #1

Freightliner X/C chassis Steering

Hello Everyone
I have been a member of IRV2 for some time, but mostly on the side line for several years and of course have been reading threads posted by many of you. One thread in particular that was of interest to me because I shared the original writers issue or concerns.
Well I am writing my message today to say Hello, and I hope you get my message of Thanks
You went into quite some detail to describe your MH steering issues of too much play in the wheel, well I shared the problem, around town not an issue , but on the highway and wind conditions , almost unsafe.
I followed your lead or advice , I changed out the Freightliner Bell Crank for the Supper Steer unit, you were right the Original Freightliner unit was seized and only had 40 to 50 degrees of revolution, it took grease, but the bushings were gummed and seized. So I completed this task. Then I took it on the Highway, there was an improvement, but still way too much movement on the steering wheel.
The next step was to find the Steering sector ( box) and locate the jam nut with the set screw. Just as you stated, it was located on the inside of the C channel frame with 3" of clearance to the generator, and no room to slip a 3/4" wrench between the sector and the frame. So , I considered backing off the steering sector from the frame so as to enable this task, no way the top bolt cannot be reached as it is hidden by a circular type of shield and a lot of electrical wires. So I fabricated a wrench using a 3/4" socket and a 3/4' piece of tubing , I was able to place my screw driver through the center of the socket , once the lock nut was loosened, I turn the set screw approximately 10 degrees, then retightened the jam nut.
Then back on the highway for another test drive, SUCCESS, I now have minimal movement of the steering wheel with no lump or high lobe for the return , It drives like a new chassis would.
In closing, thanks again for your detailed write up. I very much appreciated it.
Best Regards
Dale & Helen Petrie
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2018, 12:39 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Thanks for posting a fix although I'm a little surprised that little amount of adjustment solved the slop. My new ride had too much slop...2" and half a turn was a little to much as I could feel a slight binding near straight ahead. After 1500 miles the binding was gone so I did not back off on the adjustment.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 05:42 AM   #3

X/C Steering issue

I quess what you are experiencing is exactly correct. Each chassis and it's steering sector are individuals, When I said I turned the set screw about ten degrees, if you know how the interior of the bevel and worm gear mess, ten degrees on the set screw is a lot and I have no binding either. They are individuals. A little is OK, more may be too much.

Tags
chassis, freightliner, steering