Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2012, 12:34 AM   #1

Freightliner XC chassis auxilary fuse/relay box

Bounder 2005 diesel 38N - I researched the iRV2 forums and learned that I have an auxilary fuse/relay box for the trailer connectors. I recently had a Remco transmission pump installed and when I went to leave, and I checked my lights on my toad and determined they weren't working. I called the dealer that installed it and he told me to check the fuses. I finally found the auxilliary fuse box and found that I had 1 bad 20 AMP fuse. It appears that I don't have any power to the terminal posts on the connector. I wasn't sure if maybe the relays might also be bad. I can't tell what each relays service function is. It looks like there is 6 of them (VJ28-95F24-205).
I wanted to check before I started looking for replacements. The pump is working correctly, just no lights.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2012, 05:46 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastrini View Post
Bounder 2005 diesel 38N - I researched the iRV2 forums and learned that I have an auxilary fuse/relay box for the trailer connectors. I recently had a Remco transmission pump installed and when I went to leave, and I checked my lights on my toad and determined they weren't working. I called the dealer that installed it and he told me to check the fuses. I finally found the auxilliary fuse box and found that I had 1 bad 20 AMP fuse. It appears that I don't have any power to the terminal posts on the connector. I wasn't sure if maybe the relays might also be bad. I can't tell what each relays service function is. It looks like there is 6 of them (VJ28-95F24-205).
I wanted to check before I started looking for replacements. The pump is working correctly, just no lights.
I chased a blown fuse to the the bay on the right side of our Newmar which uses the XC. Same thing.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #3

I believe the circuit in the PDM looks simular to the following. The only thing I am not positive about is if the relay coils act as a load to the RV chassis circuit however thats the way Frieghtliner did it on the tractors.

Dave

Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #4

I have a picture that I got from another tread on irv2. It shows 2 rows of relays, so I not sure how your excellent info actually relates to relay position/function. I went under the rear of the coach today, and took a close look at how they did the wiring. My unit originally came with a 7 pin connector. It was left in place, and the Remco connector was installed next to it. Apparently, they spliced into the 7 pin for the lights. However, when I checked the Right & Left turn pins on the 7 pin connector they were both not active. All the fuses are now replaced and good. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. p.s. I have to figure out how to upload image.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #5

I take it your talking about these pictures?

My drawing is a functional one. If you look at the base of the relays in the 2nd picture you will see that like the fuses they engraved what circuit the relay relates to. Part of what the drawing shows is that the toad/trailer portion is isolated from the coach circuit via the relays and fuses. Something can short on the trailer/toad and it will not affect the coach.

Dave
Old 06-05-2012, 07:15 AM   #6

Boy that is some great pictures! I can see you box is in a pretty placement that mine! I can tell you have a tremendious knowledge of relay and circuits. I have a idea of the concept of the relay principles, do you think that one or more of the relays is bad? I realize that I relay seldom go bad.
I am going to try to call Freightliner today, and see if their is a dealer in the immediate area. I am headed to Denver next week and will have access to repair if I can get this figured out myself. Thanks so much for your quick reply and effort to help me. I like the old days when you knew when you have a bad water pump or broken fan belt!
Old 06-05-2012, 01:17 PM   #7

The Remco installation involves both pump and Left/Right/Tail circuit hookups. Before we go any further, exactly what is and is not working on coach side and what makes you think it is not working?

Coach Tail Light (Brown)
Coach Left Turn (Yellow)
Coach Right Turn (Green)
Coach Ground (White)

REMCO PUMP 1 (Red)
REMCO PUMP 2 (Black)

Dave
Old 06-07-2012, 11:20 AM   #8

Unwrapped the wiring harness at the socket and found a couple wires that were not connect according to Remco specs that you gave me. I swithed them around and got everything working except LFT Light. I checked the bulb and it looks good so I'll take another stap at it later. I am happy to get enought working correctly that I can feel safe and legal when I travel again on Monday. I want to thank you for all your assistance in sticking with me and providing me all the valuable assistance.
Thanks again - this forum has certainly been benefical to a new RV'er.

Tags
chassis, freightliner