Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2014, 02:32 PM   #15

Turn radius is a function of wheelbase and front axle wheel cut. A steerable tag's only function would be to keep the tag tires from dragging.

Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2014, 02:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nforus View Post
Hi wnytaxman,

Is the Freightliner Steerable tag being debuted in Louisville different front the Freightliner Steerable tag that's already available as an option on the 2015 Newmar Essex?

I would imagine that they are one in the same. Admittedly the Essex is beyond my pay grade so I wasn't aware that it was offered on the Essex. With the showing of the steerable tag in Louisville, I was under the impression, perhaps or probably erroneously, that it was new.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:05 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Gordon, do you have any information on what a "passive" steerable tag is as opposed to what Freightliner is marketing? I'm curious as to what Spartan has as opposed to what Freightliner is offering.

My main concern is not necessarily tire wear, but handling on a normal driving basis. I have seen some tour buses that have the steerable tag and I watched them maneuver into spaces that most of us would find difficult at best.
Looking at the information I recall the Freightliner is also passive. Having an active steerable means there has to be communication or linkage between the front axle and the tag axle.

IMO tour buses maneuvering into tight spaces is more a function of the driver than the steerable tag. That is if a comparable bus has a tag dump. In both cases the turning radius is determined by the steering cut and the wheelbase (steering axle to drive axle). When the tag dump is utilized the tag tires are able to easily skid. There is a small amount of side pressure but it is not significant IMO.

Now if the non steerable did not have a tag dump there would be a small difference as the wheelbase of the non dump would be longer (from the steering axle to approximately 1/2 way between the drive and tag axle).
Old 12-16-2014, 03:10 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nforus View Post
Hi wnytaxman,

Is the Freightliner Steerable tag being debuted in Louisville different front the Freightliner Steerable tag that's already available as an option on the 2015 Newmar Essex?
The 2015 Essex comes standard with the Spartan K3 chassis with steerable tag. The Freightliner SLR chassis is listed as an option but also as a passive steerable.

IMO the Freightliner listed and the debut model are the same.

Checking the specifications of the Spartan and Freighliner chassis on the Newmar site show the wheelbase, GVW, GAW, tag GAW for both frames are the same. Both have ISX engine so just a matter of which the purchaser prefers.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:21 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Many, many posters here will strongly disagree with my purely personal opinion about this. I believe that a steerable tag is driven more by the marketing department than by the desire to meet a legitimate need. Having the ability to lift a tag or release the pressure on the tag has a certain amount of utility and can be accomplished fairly inexpensively and without introducing fragile complicated components. As tag axles have become the norm on more and more coaches the high end builders have marketing departments that demand to be set apart. Their stock in trade is smoke & mirrors and depend on many buyers succumbing to the newest buzz words.

For those of you who are sure I'm wrong, I'll give you more ammo. I feel much the same about IFS. IFS has more owner/driver benefit but at the expense of ruggedness and complexity.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Hey Steve;
I am with you on this one. There will be some who will buy them and myself who will look on with awe and a bit of jealousy. But not enough practicality for me to change coaches.

Checking the Newmar site I notice the 2015 brochures for both the King Aire and Essex list the steerable tag as a standard feature. We looked at Newmar but decided we liked the Winnebago slightly better. Hopefully this will be our last acquisition but if it is not I wonder what standard features we will have to pay for to get the features we want?
Old 12-16-2014, 03:39 PM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
It sounds like Freightliner is doing this in order to catch up with Spartan who already did it.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:56 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralko View Post
Turn radius is a function of wheelbase and front axle wheel cut. A steerable tag's only function would be to keep the tag tires from dragging.
Spartan "claims" to gain 7% in turning radius............Are the steerable tags fighting with the drive axle now?

Quote: A 7% reduction in curb-to-curb turning radius means you can navigate the twists and tight spaces of parks and parking lots with greater confidence

Spartan Chassis

Freightliner: With UltraSteer, the wheels on the tag axle follow the ideal turning path of the front suspension, with forward-mounted tie rods enabling the inside wheel to have optimal turning range. The result is a 17 percent reduction in the curb-to-curb turning radius – a 140% advantage over typical steer tag axles – as well as a 20 percent tighter turning angle than the nearest competitor. In addition, UltraSteer’s outboard-mounted shocks are more reactive to roll input, greatly enhancing ride and handling, and its wide-track suspension arms provide increased lateral stiffness, also improving handling and safety in sudden maneuvers.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:17 PM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Just the fact that Newell has found it to be important enough to use and now Freightliner has added it makes me think that this is not just a passing fad. I'd really like to drive a coach with the steerable tag and see how much different it would feel.
Ed,

I don't think you will be able to test drive a steerable tag in Grenada!
CoreyinWP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 05:35 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Spartan "claims" to gain 7% in turning radius............Are the steerable tags fighting with the drive axle now?

Quote: A 7% reduction in curb-to-curb turning radius means you can navigate the twists and tight spaces of parks and parking lots with greater confidence
There would only be a difference if you left the non-steering tag down. If you raise the tag, there will be no difference.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:35 PM   #24
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
This is making my head spin. Logically, it seems that wheelbase and front wheel cut would be the determining factor, but it sounds like turning the tag must put some pressure on or take some pressure off the drive axle.

I guess I'll have to wait until 2020 when they come standard on a coach in my price range!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:37 AM   #25

Country Coach Owners Club
Denver FD had a new aerial that had a steerable tag. After training extensively on it's operation and driving courses experienced operators managed to crunch it 3 times or 4 times and they ended up disabling it.
Remember the more complicated you make it the easier it is to break.

Tags
freightliner