Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2015, 04:28 PM   #1

Fresh water overflow

Filled our fresh water tank no problem. Went to refill and once half full a smaller line located beside the main drain started flowing and did not stop flowing until tank at half full.
Is there a check valve somewhere I need to reset?
Stranded in Moab no boondocking until we fix.
Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2015, 05:21 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Firs off, welcome to IRV!

In order for us to better identify your problem, we need to know what type, make and model of MH you have? What year is it?

On many MH, there is either a single water connection that can be switched between filling the tank and shore hook-up or dual connections - one for fill-up and one for shore. What do you have?

Is your water pump working fine? Does it have a bypass?

Any additional information that you can provide will help us.

Worst case, there is a TransWest on the west side of Grand Junction that might be able to help depending upon your rig type.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:37 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Can you plug the smaller line? Would not do so unless I was sure it was not the vent line.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:38 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like siphoning! The reason it does it is that the output of the hose (tank vent) is probably too low. When the level in the tank is too high the water starts flowing out the vent. Remember liquid seeks to equalize the level everywhere in the tank and all connections to it. The water is going to keep flowing until the level in the tank reaches the level of the end of the hose. Cut the end of the vent hose off nearer to the top of the tank and it will not siphon as far. There may be some fluid engineers here here will be able to tell you some device to fix it, I just cut it.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:54 PM   #5

You mention having a 2011 Itasca Sunstar 30W in another thread.

Siphoning, as mentioned, is an issue on many Winnebagos. Winnebago did make some changes in recent years though.

Looking at your plumbing diagrams, On sheet 3, section G-G, it looks like you have one of he "fixes" already. The overflow pipe steps up in diameter to try to break the siphon effect when it's overflowing.

There's a few threads here on various fixes (and arguments on what the problem really is and what to call it).

Here's one (first one I found, happens to be one I commented on!)

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:19 AM   #6

Thanks everyone, bunch of info all helpful. First thing I'll do is try filling again with a faucet open in the coach, also pick up a pressure regulator conveniently available at this RV park for a paltry $15.00. Since there are a couple of hardware stores here in Moab I'm betting the regulator is really less than $10.00.
Also grab a few gallons of drinking water and use the fresh tank for showers and toilet only.
If all else fails, we'll just park the sucker somewhere, load what we need on the motorcycle and donate the beast to Goodwill.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:30 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I too have the siphoning problem! I plan to put a cut-off valve in the overflow hose under the MH and as it starts to overflow when I'm filling the tank I will shut off the supply and quickly close the valve to stop the siphoning! Has anyone done this? Seems to me that it should work!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:59 AM   #8

I ran into something like this last week. Vent line seems to be on top of tank. Tank is shallow and long. When I fill, naturally even with the vent you seem to build some pressure in the very plyable tank. If the coach is at all higher in the front, the water flows to the vent, and the pressure that has built in the tank starts the water flowing out of the vent. At that point, even without the pressure, it is going to syphon until it makes an air lock at the top where the vent is. I had it drain probably 1/3rd of a tank last week. Next fill I am going to try raising the rear of the coach so that the air gathers around the vent. We will see if that simply method fixes it.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:05 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Most of the time we fixed this problem by moving the middle of the vent line higher than the tank.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:20 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
If you don't want to cut it off either wedge the end of the vent higher than the top of the tank (or just lower) or attach an extension to the vent tube and put the end of it higher. That should stop it. What I do is just never push it to the full part. I look at the level in my tank and I estimate that the flow is around 3-5 gallons a minute. I'll fill for 5 or 10 minutes, turn it off and check the level in the tank. My sensors are probably not that accurate but I can get an idea and avoid overflowing most of the time. If it does I just wait for it to stop then fill again for 5 minutes or so. It's more critical if you boondock but I haven't yet so no big deal.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:13 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I too have the siphoning problem! I plan to put a cut-off valve in the overflow hose under the MH and as it starts to overflow when I'm filling the tank I will shut off the supply and quickly close the valve to stop the siphoning! Has anyone done this? Seems to me that it should work!
One of our customers did that. He blew up his tank. The pressure built up while filling. The best fix that worked every time was to run the vent end higher than the tank. Having the vent line high in the middle works most times.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:28 AM   #12

I filled yesterday morning without turning the water supply full on. Worked like a charm and filled the tank max as we are boondocking the next 4 days. Then it started siphoning and drained about 20% before stopping. Guess it's just one of the quirks.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:05 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
One of our customers did that. He blew up his tank. The pressure built up while filling. The best fix that worked every time was to run the vent end higher than the tank. Having the vent line high in the middle works most times.

I think you may have misunderstood what I said. I would wait until water was coming out the overflow, the turn off the INTAKE before closing the valve on the overflow hose.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:31 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I think you may have misunderstood what I said. I would wait until water was coming out the overflow, the turn off the INTAKE before closing the valve on the overflow hose.
I would forget to open the valve on the overflow the next time I filled. KABLOOEY

Tags
fresh water, water