Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2013, 06:48 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Fresh Water Problem

I have a 98 Winnebago Adventure WFG33WQ (model number). When I went out camping this weekend I hooked up the water into the RV at the panel. I set the valve to City Water fill which is for the camp water to enter into the RV. The other side of the valve is for filling my holding tanks. The problem is that durning the evening and morning the overflow on my holding tanks would start to let water out.

I've hooked the water up this way every time we go camping without a problem. The only thing I can think of is that the valve where I hooked up is letting water into the holding tank. Or that the cooler weather had something to do with this.
Ohsirr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #2

That water inlet valve probably has two positions. One is labled "fill" and the other is "normal". In the "fill" position, campsite water will begin filling your onboard water tank. In the "normal" position, that water will bypass that tank and just pressurize your on demand plumbing system.

Dan
Pelledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:48 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
I once had the water inlet valve, check valve stick in the closed position and would not let water in. I could not fill the water tank, or get water into the coach. The repair was to replace the water inlet with a new check valve. No problems since.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:45 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we had the same problem a couple years ago, someone knocked on our door to tell us water was running uder our coach. We had ours hookedup like you stated. We had a mobile repair
Come check our problem and it was the water pump check
valve. He replaced the water pump & have had no further problem
Diane98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:56 AM   #5

My HR Endeavor with a Swan Quik-Fill valve in the utility compartment and a Shurflo pump started doing the same thing last week. I have not fixed the problem yet. I suspect the problem is either the Swan valve or the check valve in the Shurflo pump. I am going to add a standard (Home Depot or Lowes) 1/2" check valve to the output side of the pump as a first try to fix ... the output side is easily accessible on mine.

Shop AMERICAN VALVE 1/2-in PVC Sch 40 Socket In-Line Check Valve at Lowes.com
Old 11-25-2013, 05:40 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I had the same issue in my 2000 Allegro Bay. It turned out to be the valve assembly in the Shurflo Extreme 5.7 pump. It was letting a small amount of water through the pump even when the pump was off and the valve was in the city water position. Might be your issue too. Hope this helps. Good luck.
memphisflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:03 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Usually when we speak of "holding tanks" it is not the fresh water tank we are thinking of.. So I edited my thinking for this reply.

There are two possible issues.

1a:The 3-way Quick Fill valve may be bad, This does happen. You might not have gotten it ALL THE WAY to the Normal position.. Mine will do that if I do not get it ALL THE WAY to normal.

2: The water pump has a check valve, if that valve is not properly closing, many reasons some fixable some replacable, You can get back flow that way.

Depending on how your rig is plumbed there are two ways to test for that...

On all rigs, you can drain the fresh water tank, then place a towel under the water pump inlet strainer and open it (There is some water in it, the towel will absorb).. Then hook up to city water, if water comes out the housing it's the pump.. I not, it's the valve.

On my coach I can operate a couple of valves and if water runs on the ground it's the pump, else it's the valve

My tanks are like this

Tank...cut off valve----drain valve----Pump

Not, actually, the way I'd build it if I were doing it, but it works for this job.
or 1b:
Old 11-25-2013, 10:11 AM   #8

BTW, has anyone found a substitute for the Swan Quik-fill valve?
Old 11-25-2013, 12:29 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I've just replace the waterpump a couple of months ago so I hope thats not the problem. I have a Sureflo pump. So I'm guessing I'm going to have to replace the check valve.
Ohsirr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #10

Installed a separate check valve in the pump output line today. Total cost (excluding my labor) was about $13. All parts were on the shelf at Lowes. A little hard to follow the input/output but the existing long loops of braided vinyl are spec'd by Shurflo to reduce noise and pipe hammer. Not sure whether the problem is resolved but one possible failure point is gone. I can't check the Swan Quik-fill valve because no city water is available at my storage facility.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	check1.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	287.6 KB
ID:	50859   Click image for larger version

Name:	check2.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	50860  

Click image for larger version

Name:	check3.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	360.1 KB
ID:	50861  
Old 11-28-2013, 09:18 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
BTW, has anyone found a substitute for the Swan Quik-fill valve?
New valve here.
osCommerce
Looks like it's a standard 3-way valve.
Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
New valve here.
osCommerce
Looks like it's a standard 3-way valve.

Chuck
Thanks ... saw that one ... balked at the $149.

If necessary I'll just replace the Swan with a separate shutoff, crossover, and 2 check valves ... I don't mind a little work to save $120.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:59 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yeah, it seemed pretty pricey for what it is.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Installed a separate check valve in the pump output line today. Total cost (excluding my labor) was about $13. All parts were on the shelf at Lowes. A little hard to follow the input/output but the existing long loops of braided vinyl are spec'd by Shurflo to reduce noise and pipe hammer. Not sure whether the problem is resolved but one possible failure point is gone. I can't check the Swan Quik-fill valve because no city water is available at my storage facility.
UPDATE:

Problem was resolved with the new external check valve. BTW, the pump is less than 1 year old.

Tags
fresh water, water