Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2014, 08:45 PM   #1

Fresh Water/Pump Question

Hello. I have a 60 gal. freshwater tank. Filled it up prior to a trip, got to the campground and hooked up to city water. Camped for two days taking a shower, doing dishes as normal, etc. Prior to pulling out of my spot and hitting the road my fresh water tank display showed almost empty. My question is: When you hook up to city water, does the water pump (turned on) still take water from the fresh water tank?
I'd like to be able to just roll with my fresh water tank always above half and use campground water, but apparently I now don't understand my water system at all. Should I turn the pump off when hooked up at a campground? Thanks.

2013 Fleetwood Storm 32BH, cheap handling fix, 5-Star tuned, custom cut Tempurpedic mattress, LED'd out, and custom mounted dog kennel. 14' JKU Willys Wheeler toad, SMI Stay-n-Play brakes, Demco Commander tow bar, Roadmaster brackets
nomad10th is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2014, 08:57 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,
When hooked up to city water you should turn off your water pump. When you dry camp or are on the road then you will leave the water pump on.

Good luck!

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:03 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When hooked up to city, don't turn on pump. If you do, every time you use water from the tank along with the fresh coming in also. Good water pressure but, you use more water.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:42 PM   #4

Thanks. I should know that
2013 Fleetwood Storm 32BH, cheap handling fix, 5-Star tuned, custom cut Tempurpedic mattress, LED'd out, and custom mounted dog kennel. 14' JKU Willys Wheeler toad, SMI Stay-n-Play brakes, Demco Commander tow bar, Roadmaster brackets
nomad10th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:11 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just a note. Unless your boondocking you shouldn't require that much water onboard. 60 gals (500 lbs) is one heck of a lot of additional weight to be hauling around if your going campsite to campsite and have on site city water available. Just keep enough to flush the toilet and make some coffee etc. I normally don't travel with more than a quarter tank, for me that 10 gals and I always have most of that left when I get to the next CG.
JM2C

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:37 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
A test of your water pump check valve is to hook up to city water with the pump off and see if the tank fills. I hope you are using some sort of water pressure regulator. Many CGs have very high pressure and that could damage your water system.

I run the pump when the CG pressure is low, which can be the case. Time and conditions will peak your understanding of this process. You will learn what works best for you. Some folks I know use nothing but the pump and tank, filling as needed. This protects their water system from high pressure surges. Again, do what feel best to the situation you are in.
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:45 PM   #7

The pump runs when pressure drops, and shuts off when pressure gets high enough. So with pump on and faucet on, the pump will only run if the faucet pressure is low.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:51 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
The pump runs when pressure drops, and shuts off when pressure gets high enough. So with pump on and faucet on, the pump will only run if the faucet pressure is low.
That's been my experience as well but I still only turn on my water pump when I need water and am not hooked up... that is unless the park has really low water pressure and then the pump can help some... but that's by pulling water from the fresh water tank I do believe.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
That's been my experience as well but I still only turn on my water pump when I need water and am not hooked up... that is unless the park has really low water pressure and then the pump can help some... but that's by pulling water from the fresh water tank I do believe.

Rick
Water pumps always only draw from the fresh tank.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:01 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I think this has been established and we all agree. I think we can all say and agree that the pump is a good supplement for low water pressure too. We must watch the tank if the pump is on to avoid running dry and having a runaway pump because no water is in the tank to build pressure from. Could damage the pump if done too frequently or for too long. But using it is still a choice, as the OP was asking, and does no real harm.

Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:30 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
No argument here.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDSailor View Post
Just a note. Unless your boondocking you shouldn't require that much water onboard. 60 gals (500 lbs) is one heck of a lot of additional weight to be hauling around if your going campsite to campsite and have on site city water available. Just keep enough to flush the toilet and make some coffee etc. I normally don't travel with more than a quarter tank, for me that 10 gals and I always have most of that left when I get to the next CG.
JM2C

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
I have 110 gallons of fresh water capacity. I find my coach handels better with the fresh water tank full. It lowers the center of gravity. I don't think the Cummins ISL struggles with the weight.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:43 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koop View Post
I have 110 gallons of fresh water capacity. I find my coach handels better with the fresh water tank full. It lowers the center of gravity. I don't think the Cummins ISL struggles with the weight.
I don't know about lowering the CoG but I do know it adds, if full, 913 LBS. That's a ton of weight dead weight, 1/2 a ton actually. That kind of weight would stabilize just about anything.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:06 PM   #14

The water pump will only run when city water pressure is lower than the cut-in pressure of the pump. Your easiest solution is to turn the pump off when on city water, unless_the CG city water pressure is too low to live with.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, water