Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2011, 04:07 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Fresh Water Tank

Hi Folks, I have a question about the fresh water tank in my Motorhome. I have a 2011 Itasca Sunstar 35F. When I fill my fresh water tank water splashes out as I am driving. Over 300 miles it will leak out almost half of the 80 gallon tank. I have tried to see if there are any breaks in the tank but I do not see any. Does anyone know if there is an overflow valve or something that is causing this?? I have never seen the water coming out but people behind me say it looks like the water is coming from a pipe, just a steady flow for miles then it stops until i turn a corner or take off from a light.
Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2011, 04:28 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

There is an overflow relief line and it probably serves as the tank vent as well. Sometimes if you fill the tank too much, the water moves out through the overflow and creates a siphon action that continues to run for awhile. Even so, it doesn't seem like it should lose half from that.

The overflow is supposed to come out the top of the tank or very close to it, so even a siphon should stop as soon as the water drops below the level of the outlet. If it comes out the side, though, it would keep on draining. You might want t contact Winnie Customer Service and discuss this with them. It's definitely not right.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
There is an overflow relief line and it probably serves as the tank vent as well. Sometimes if you fill the tank too much, the water moves out through the overflow and creates a siphon action that continues to run for awhile. Even so, it doesn't seem like it should lose half from that.

The overflow is supposed to come out the top of the tank or very close to it, so even a siphon should stop as soon as the water drops below the level of the outlet. If it comes out the side, though, it would keep on draining. You might want t contact Winnie Customer Service and discuss this with them. It's definitely not right.
x2 you should not be loseing that much water through the overflow/ vent, sounds like you have an opening or fitting that is not sealed. If you fill it up sitting still does it leak down while you are parked, or only going down the road?
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:58 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The tank is shallow and a lot of water will slosh out of the overflow line which is on th etop of the tank and close to the edge.
I put an upside down U in the overflow line that extends the line above the top of the tank, that helps a lot. The U is as high as I could make it, probably at least 6 inches.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:02 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
The water only leaks while moving. I will go have another look for loose fittings and overflow lines. Thank you for your help.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:04 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
The tank is shallow and a lot of water will slosh out of the overflow line which is on th etop of the tank and close to the edge.
I put an upside down U in the overflow line that extends the line above the top of the tank, that helps a lot. The U is as high as I could make it, probably at least 6 inches.
A U in the line sounds good I will try that now. Thank you
Old 12-20-2011, 10:16 AM   #7

It's siphoning out. If you can see your tank, you'll see it is actually collapsing like a bladder until the line can vent some air backwards to break the siphon. It MAY be possible to create a very small hole in this tube higher than the tank and as high as possible to vent air and break the siphon.
raceguy549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaco View Post
, just a steady flow for miles then it stops until i turn a corner or take off from a light.
I understand the concept of siphon but Flaco says it stops and starts....that does not fit my knowledge of siphoning.... once it stops - it stops unless you provide more "vacuum".. I agree on the loose fitting...
Just thinkin
Old 12-20-2011, 05:37 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
had the same problem with my old moho .got a spring clamp at home depot $2.50 clamp off over flow line after filling . no more problem. p.s. if your over flow is your vent take it off when get there! dan &cathy 2007 36' terra xl 8.1 workhorse allison.
teera travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gma-n-Gpa View Post
I understand the concept of siphon but Flaco says it stops and starts....that does not fit my knowledge of siphoning.... once it stops - it stops unless you provide more "vacuum".. I agree on the loose fitting...
Just thinkin
Good point.....unless it restarts when sloshing around and any air in the tank is away from the overflow port. Had a fellow camper with a brand new MH at the fall race at Texas Motor Speedway who had this same problem. Finally, I located the water tank drain line, opened the valve, and blew through it. The tank grew as the air got in and finally the siphon was broken. The tank had dang near collapsed in the center from the partial vacuum created by the siphon. He had filled the water tank at the dump station and driven to his site (about 1/2 mile) and his tank was darn near empty. He then had the tank refilled by a vendor that drives around with a tank of water refilling RV water tanks. It got filled ALL the way up again and most of that siphoned out as well, until I blew air into the tank via the drain line. The vendor came by again a bit later and refilled again at no charge. Called it "warranty" .
raceguy549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:14 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Thank you all for the mountain of info, I have been crawling around under the coach looking at everything. I have been parked in Vegas for the last week & will stay here till mid January so I have lots of time to look. I know where the drain points are but I can not find the overflow, it's hidden somewhere up there so I will fill the tank till it starts to drain. Trial & Error, one thing at a time thanks again and Merry Christmas to all of you.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:05 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Report on frest water tank draining,
I filled the tank here in the RV Park till tank was filled. I shut the water off as soon as water came out of the overflow. Well it started to drian and just kept draining until I had 1/3 of a tank of water left. So I bought a shut off valve and cut the drain line and installed it. Problem solved. I just have to remember to open it when I fill the tank. I really want to Thank all of you for the information you all supplied. Merry Christmas to all and a very happy New Years. Miles of Smiles all
Old 09-09-2012, 05:52 PM   #13

Hi, I recently acquired a slightly-used 2011 Itasca SunStar Model IFE30W. It has the same exact fresh water loss issues as 'Flaco' described his 2011 Itasca SunStar Model 35F as having had. The information in this thread has been very helpful.
Alta Sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:51 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
I had the same problem on a different M/H, I was always getting concerned people waving me down to let me know I loosing what they thought was fuel, I picked up at home depot a 1 1/2" in line check valve, (about $8.00 plus hose ends and clamps) cut my water inlet hose and using pipe clamps installed that in the line, still loose a little water thru vent line but not really noticeable. Hope this solution will help you.
2010 Harley Ultra Classic
racefn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water