Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2015, 10:47 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Fresh water tank Ball Valve

Trying to flush my fresh tank today. Filled the tank a third full and then opened the drain valve. When I tried to close the valve, it would not close all the way. Tried opening and closing, tried running more water through the tank. Still will not close all the way. Checked the exit and looked good. Tried to close it again and broke the handle off. Now I'm really happy!!!
So what is my best option? replace the whole valve or add a new valve at the exit of the drain tube? This is on our Bounder 34F. The area where the current vale is located is very tight. Right below the tank and above the propane tank compartment.

any thought on how to fix this would be great. Anybody know if you can lube the pvc ball valve?

Thanks for reading

Jim
Theroughlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2015, 01:09 PM   #2

If there is room to get the old valve out or cut it out, I would suggest a sharkbite valve for replacement. Easy to install and they don't leak.

SharkBite Valves: Brass, PEX, Quick Connect & Push-Fit Ball Valves
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 03:30 PM   #3

PVC valves are horrible. I bought my Bounder new and very early on replaced that ball valve with a brass valve. (either ball valve or gate valve would be fine). I cut it off with an oscillating tool, slapped on a threaded adapter for the new valve and used soft tubing for new drain output. Easy and gives you flexibility to do it how you want. I capped off the old hard drain that tied into the overflow line. I also put a ball valve on the water heater heater drain with a hose bib outlet.....just put on a short piece of hose, flip the valve and it's draining. Can drain both tanks in no time with not effort and getting it set up was not hard.
BigBadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 01:01 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
update

thanks for the help. so far I am using a vise grip and was able to close the valve.
Theroughlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 02:43 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
If there is room to get the old valve out or cut it out, I would suggest a sharkbite valve for replacement. Easy to install and they don't leak.

SharkBite Valves: Brass, PEX, Quick Connect & Push-Fit Ball Valves
I'm in the process of redoing my water bay because of a leaking city water valve and adding a powered water reel while at it. I'm using a lot of PEX but I DO NOT recommend Sharkbite fittings unless they are easy to access. As an example I am using a Sharkbite check valve but it will be mounted in plain view as seen in the attached picture. The reason I won't use them in out of sight places is because of the vibration they will be subjected to when traveling. For that reason I am using stainless steel crimps in all other places.

YMMV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	114540489_82thumb_770x574.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	97979  
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 03:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I'm in the process of redoing my water bay because of a leaking city water valve and adding a powered water reel while at it. I'm using a lot of PEX but I DO NOT recommend Sharkbite fittings unless they are easy to access. As an example I am using a Sharkbite check valve but it will be mounted in plain view as seen in the attached picture. The reason I won't use them in out of sight places is because of the vibration they will be subjected to when traveling. For that reason I am using stainless steel crimps in all other places.

YMMV
I suggested Sharkbite fittings because the OP had limited space available to work and only one fitting needed (as they are expensive). If the application is PEX then Sharkbite would save the cost of a crimper tool providing there is space to use it.

I do not know of any documented case of a Sharkbite fitting failure do to vibration similar to that in a wet bay. Inquiring minds want to know???
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 04:03 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
I suggested Sharkbite fittings because the OP had limited space available to work and only one fitting needed (as they are expensive). If the application is PEX then Sharkbite would save the cost of a crimper tool providing there is space to use it.

I do not know of any documented case of a Sharkbite fitting failure do to vibration similar to that in a wet bay. Inquiring minds want to know???
I know about the limited space...trust me. LOL While reaching back to replace the valve might sound simple there isn't much that I found simple. Nearly all the work is done in the blind. Brackets that were use to secure the original valve won't fit the newer valves having a need to redo them. Could it all be done in the blind...I suppose so but my knuckles will hate me. So...perhaps since I am doing a total rebuild of the water bay "taints" my opinion.

Do you know what kind of pipe/tubing the OP has that connects things? I don't but I do know that it can be a little of this and a little of that. I know that in my case it isn't easy to replace the city water valve without removing the whole panel. So in MY case I have chosen my course of actions.

So...I don't think it is necessary for me to produce documentation that you seem to need. I gave a reason why I choose not to use and do not recommend the use Sharkbite fittings in tight places in a house that bounces around.

Again...YMMV
Old 06-21-2015, 05:06 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Funny that I should find this topic today. Today I was going to drain the fresh tank to disinfect and re-fill with new water. The black plastic handle on the brass ball valve just spun around and wouldn't open the valve. The screw holding it in place was either stripped or corroded. I elected to pry off the plastic handle, which broke into several pieces. Then I was able to access the stem on the valve to open and close it with a very small wrench. Now the question is, do I want to cut it apart (PEX) and replace the valve or just continue to use the wrench. I probably will not use the valve more than a couple times a year. The valve works fine with the wrench.

I have valves scattered all over my 18 ac property, irrigation, multiple wells, storage tanks, booster pumps, etc. 20 years ago, I installed a lot of brass valves but have evolved into PVC ball valves. The weak link on brass valves, whether ball or gate valves has always been the handles. I have not had one failure of a PVC ball valve on my property over the last 10 or so years.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:15 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
...I elected to pry off the plastic handle, which broke into several pieces. Then I was able to access the stem on the valve to open and close it with a very small wrench. Now the question is, do I want to cut it apart (PEX) and replace the valve or just continue to use the wrench. I probably will not use the valve more than a couple times a year. The valve works fine with the wrench.
As long as you can get it to close with the wrench...replace it when you want to and have the time. We move around enough that we fill the fresh water tank several times a year. We found we needed to replace it because it lost its seal and now the water pump cycles on and off when using it. I also had intermittent leaking behind the fresh water inlet us my bigger project. LOL

Tags
fresh water, tank, water