Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2014, 07:35 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fresh water tank help needed

C'mon knowledge base! I need your thoughts.

We have an '04 Itasca Horizon 40 AD.

The problem is this: We started today with 2/3 of a tank of fresh water. After 250 miles and 5 hours later we have no gallons. Sensors both read empty although there was a little in the tank, something less than 1/3.

The missing water manifested itself in the entertainment bay with wet carpeting, although not enough to account for the missing third of a tank.

I drained the gray and black tanks, but not much there, again not the missing third of a tank.

Where'd it go, and why?

Oh, by the way, we had an issue where the fresh water tank was over full, and I think this is due to a faulty check valve on the pump. Itasca, with their infinite wisdom, vented the tank overflow into ductwork of some sort and that also got the basement carpeting wet.

Thanks in advance for all your help. I'll check back later tonight. We're heading home after being on the road since September...

johno97007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2014, 07:51 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't know much about your MH, but I would think that some or most of the missing water is on the road somewhere. Maybe it ran out the bottom along the floor somewhere?

JudyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:56 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Are you depending upon the gauge to tell you 2/3 or 1/3 full, or you actually looking at the side of the fresh water tank in the right #2 bay? 1/3 of a tank into the entertainment bay would overflow the bay for sure, and the other three as well! The water could not get into the gray tank, unless you left a faucet running.

Most likely source of lost water would be a leaking pipe in the bathroom above the entertainment bay. If you drive with the water pump turned on, that could be the source.

Another possibility would be the 1 1/2" blade dump valve not closing completely. It's on the front of the fresh water tank. I replaced mine and at the same time removed that crazy cable that Winnebago thought was a good idea. You can get to it by climbing into right #2 bay, removing the protective metal cover over the valve. It's a standard Valterra 1 1/2" blade valve. When I filled my tank completely full and drove, I typically would lose the top 1/3 along the road from sloshing around. That would flood #2 bay first, ultimately flooding all four.

Lastly would be a cracked tank, but not likely.
TurtleKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:57 PM   #4

Do you have a dripping tank drain valve? Outside shower?

If you fill half way up and turn off the pump it should isolate the problem to the tank and the line to the pump. A piece of tape on the tank can serve as a level marker to track the level change over something like an hour to start. If you can go a couple of hours with no change you isolated part of it. In that case you can probably power up for short times with minimal damage. The pump should come on for a bit to charge the system and stop. If it keeps going look for why.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:04 PM   #5

Don't know if this is relevant but when we had this problem we found a crack in our tank. The bay under it was wet but it was the bay in the rear under the bed.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:07 AM   #6

My problem was the ice maker water valve. It froze last winter and when I turned on everything the same thing occurred. I replaced the valve problem solved.
Jamie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:22 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
A good RV Technician might be a big help in tracking down your problem. As you can see there can be many causes. The easiest to check might be a low point drain left open, but with the water in the bays I would believe this is some sort of leak.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:27 AM   #8

Check to see if it siphoning out thru the vent. had it happen to me.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:33 AM   #9

I doubt your entertainment bay is water tight so the missing water would be along the road you traveled and evaporated by now.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
Check to see if it siphoning out thru the vent. had it happen to me.
Just had this problem in a 4 year old MH...or maybe I never noticed it before. my overflow valve is on the top wall of the tank, and the water siphons out. My only fill requires a garden hose, and I point the lever to the tank or the lines. Would appreciate hearing how you fixed your problem.
Thanks
Old 09-07-2014, 05:17 PM   #11

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just had to replace the back flow valve that the hose connects to in in the utility box. The valve went bad and water ran back out of the tank from there. Was your utility box wet?

Dan Callahan
North Jersey
2008 Fleetwood Excursion 40E
Freightliner Chassis, Cummins and Allison
Old 09-07-2014, 05:18 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you find no leaks, I would look to water going out the vent. The most frequent answer we found was water going out the vent. Most of the time this was fixed by adding a length of tubing to the vent and going up high with a loop in it.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:08 AM   #13

Smile water fill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacearow View Post
I just had to replace the back flow valve that the hose connects to in in the utility box. The valve went bad and water ran back out of the tank from there. Was your utility box wet?

Dan Callahan
North Jersey
2008 Fleetwood Excursion 40E
Freightliner Chassis, Cummins and Allison
I didn't even know there was a vent there...I have toi see if I can get into it.
Thanks.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:16 AM   #14

Smile resh water tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
If you find no leaks, I would look to water going out the vent. The most frequent answer we found was water going out the vent. Most of the time this was fixed by adding a length of tubing to the vent and going up high with a loop in it.
I'll give it a try...was at a FMCA rally this weekend and got the same advice -- among much more -- from The Committee. They did pull the overflow valve out (it is on the top surface of the tank) and there is NO TUBE going down into the tank. I am not a physicist, but it seems to me that if the exit valve is above the water surface it should not siphon out!

Many thanks.

Tags
fresh water, tank, water