Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
A7X

*Fresh Water Tank Issue*

I just took my new to me 2001 Fleetwood Bounder camping this weekend. Everything worked great accept one issue that really makes me mad, so here we go.

I filled the fresh water tank and everything was great until I got about to the top(full). Then all of a sudden tons of water started dumping all over the ground, and my carpets where the tank is above was soaked! I drained about 5-10 gallons from the tank so it wasn't all the way full. Since it wasn't all the way topped of now, the water stopped leaking and the carpet dried. My water tank was about 50% full all weekend and no leaks of wet carpet.

Any suggestions?
It has got to be something on the very top of my water tank, since when it is half way full there are no issues. How hard is it to pull the fresh tank out?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2012, 01:24 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Your fleetwood should have both a pass side gravity fill, and a drivers side pressure fill.

Which were u using?

The "overfill vents" on most motorhomes are pretty small....

I haven't ever had one get wet inside tho...

Old 05-30-2012, 01:28 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Could be the overfill vent hoses came loose from the top of the tank?
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #4

If you fill a tank using the pressure fill it is important to take the cap off the gravity fill. This relieves pressure building up inside the tank. It might have cracked because of pressure buildup.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:08 PM   #5
A7X

I filled the tank on the passenger side of the rv, and I used a garden hose to fill it. As far as I know that is the only filler on the rv.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #6

Could easily be a crack in the filler hose that was actually dripping while you were filling. I've had that happen to me on each of my coaches, sadly. Good news is that a new hose fixed it

Steve
Old 05-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
on my older motor home... it is hard to tell when the tank is getting full. when I fill it, I inevitably will forget it and overfill and it gushes out the side, but it doesn't get inside...wonder if the air pressure relief isn't connected to the exterior. ( the place the air escapes to when filling the tank)
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
The fill hose clamp is probably loose. It goes into the side of the tank near the top. If it gets loose it will leak when the tank is full.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
A very poor design if the fresh water tank is located above the coach carpets such that the carpet would get wet when overfilled.

My fresh water tank is below the coach floor in a lower bay. It also has an overflow tube that will take any excess water and let it flow out onto the ground.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 05-31-2012, 07:06 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
It's eather a cracked tank, or the line to the tank, the vent could have come loose or come off or overflow.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:42 AM   #11
A7X

Is this something I should have fixed by a professional? Or can I take the tank out myself?
Old 06-01-2012, 07:49 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Have you been able to see anything off the tank like hoses ect.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:11 AM   #13

As far as the leak goes, I agree with the others that perhaps your vent hose, which is connected very near the main water inlet pipe, on top of the tank, is loose, or disconnected. When the tank got close to full, it sprayed water up and soaked the bottom of the floor. Maybe found a crack, soaking your carpet.

I've been full timing for 8 years now and I've never had to fill my tank completely because it's so easy to find places to get water. And I generally use shore water when at a park. I run it around 3/4 full maximum when I might be boondocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A7X View Post
I filled the tank on the passenger side of the rv, and I used a garden hose to fill it. As far as I know that is the only filler on the rv.
There's usually a shore water connection in the wet bay. In my Bounder, it's on the side wall in the same compartment with the tank drains and the electrical cord. You connect the shore water hose to a garden hose type connection. It has a one way valve to prevent water draining out when the shore water isn't connected.

In my rig, there's no way I'd try to remove my tank. I'd try to find a work around and live with it.

Anyway you can reach up to the top of the tank...or see up in there?

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by A7X View Post
Is this something I should have fixed by a professional? Or can I take the tank out myself?
You can check it yourself first. If no luck, then take it to someone. You should be able to find the leak without removing the tank. As they say, THIS AIN'T ROCKET SCIENCE. I like to check for leaks after dark with a flashlight and a mirror.
If it is dark, the flashlight shows the leak better.

Tags
tank, water