Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #1

Fresh Water Tank loses Water

While parked at a campground and connected to the CG water supply. My fresh water tank losses water. There are no signs of leakage on the ground. Can I be using water from the fresh water tank rather than from the CG source? The water pump does not come on. This is strange to say the least!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #2

fresh water tank losing water

Interesting of your problem. I, too, experience same. Am hooked to shore water and fresh can start with 40 gals and within a week, it's dropped measurably. Because of this, I always add water to fresh prior to departing shore water. Have no idea where the fresh water is going - can only assume it's being used in conjuction with shore water, but why, how?

Old 04-27-2013, 01:38 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Turning on your pump will usually suck water out of the tank, along with the city supply.

If you're not using the pump, then it might be some sort of siphon effect. Either into the RV when you're using water, or back to the supply if the anti-siphon valve is bad.

Can you check the level before and after some period of not using any water? Either overnight or before/after leaving the RV for a while.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:05 PM   #4

Thanks FlyingDiver for the response. Four days ago we arrived at the campground and before connecting to the city supply I turned the pump on and discoverd that no on board water was available. Checked my fresh water gauge and found the tank was empty. I shut the pump off. I then connected to city water and filled the tank. Over the last four days the pump has not been on and connected to city water. This morning I checked the fresh water gauge and the tank read just under 3/4. Somehow 1/4 of the fresh water tank had been used. Checked outside for leaks and none found. Then refilled the fresh water tank again. Seems as if I'm drawing water from the fresh water tank with the pump off even though I'm connected to city water.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:19 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I'm betting it's a siphon effect, pulling water through the pump. Not sure how you'd solve that, other than maybe switching to a different style of pump that doesn't allow any flow when it's off. An anti-siphon valve won't work, since the water is going the correct direction.

Well, I suppose if was really important, you could put a manual valve in before or after the pump, as long as you remember to open it up whenever you want to turn the pump on.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #6

Interesting, perhaps there is a narrowing geometry in your plumbing somewhere that creates low pressure which siphons from your fresh water tank. Ive seen this geometry used on purpose to introduce chemicals into a pressurized hose [eg, a pressure washer or a lawn sprayer/ applicator]. Assume the existing check valve allows water to be siphoned out but does not let city water flow into the tank. Short of correcting the norrowing, you could install a manual valve on the feed line from the tank.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:31 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,
You didn't mention what RV you have, make that is.
I have a Winnebago and there is a valve I have to turn to use the city water or fill the tank. If i leave it in fill the tank mode that the pump runs all the time and both waters are being used. While on city water valve has to be in city mode and water pump turned off.

Maybe your pump is not turning off and you are using both waters, that is city and holding tank.

Glad to hear there is no leak. Oh have you checked the valve you use to empty the fresh water tank is that partially open/

Good luck!
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #8

The rig is a 2003 Fleetwood Bounder model 32W. I have a City water connection on the left rear compartment. Ther is also another fill tube on the right mid position of the coach. There is a 2 position valve in the left rear compartment that can select "City" or "Tank Fill" When at a campground the valve is in the "City" position with the pump switch in the "Off" position. After a few days of use the tank water level is lowered with the valve in the "City" position.

Tags
tank, water