Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-05-2016, 02:24 PM   #1
Fresh Water Tank Overflow Leak

I filled the tank today to sanitize the system and thought I would have the wife man the faucet. Once the tank filled instead of coming out the overflow it leaked at the top of the tank and flowed down through the baggage compartment. (Images Attached) I beleive it is come from the black fitting on the top of the tank.

Any help with this and feedback on resolving it would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fresh Water Tank with Overflow.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	132148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fresh Water Tank.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	132149  

07 Newmar Canyon Star 3410 - 34' 11 FT WH W22 Chassis 8.1L 70K,
AussieRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2016, 09:42 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Me personally, I don't think I would be concerned with fixing it. I would just not fill it up all the way, and we never drink the water from our tank.

I guess though the big question I have is .... is the leak big enough to cause contamination of the water that's in the tank?

Have you check the top of the overflow? Could be clogged with dirt dobbers or something?

If the tank is mostly full, does driving cause water to enter your baggage compartments from the jostling of the water?

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
2005 Fleetwood Revolution
'12 Chevy 2500HD
'15 Airstream International Signature 27FB
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:45 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That black thing appears to be a vent. If your overflow tube was blocked , the overflow would escape from there if it in fact is a vent.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:13 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would fix it unless I never filled the tank above about 3/4. Anywhere near full and there is going to be "slosh" around that fitting, and water leaking into the interior, even if just the bays, is never a good thing.

In the picture on the left, the fitting appears to be accessible, but the right looks blocked. Not sure what I'm looking at in the right photo, but is that a hole in the side of the fitting? If so, the best fix is to replace it, but if you can't get it out, a plumber's epoxy ought to work. Make sure its rated for use on ABS fittings (that looks like ABS to me).
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:17 AM   #5
I'm not 100% sure if it is a vent or overflow and we are awaiting Newmar's reply to my email. Having never filled it before my concern would be when hooked up to water at an rv park we would not be able to run off the water pressure alone and would have to monitor the tank and use the pump. Also boondoocking would be out of the question. as we would not be able to fill the tank

The other obvious problem is accessibility to check it as it would need to be removed to work on it or check it.
07 Newmar Canyon Star 3410 - 34' 11 FT WH W22 Chassis 8.1L 70K,
AussieRv is offline   Reply With Quote

fresh water, leak, tank, water