Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-25-2016, 05:51 PM   #1
Fresh water tank question

So like the title says I'm brand new to the site, and a little green to RV'ing as well. The wife and I just bought a 1992 Pacearrow, it needed just a little TLC which it has now gotten. Having said that the only thing I would love some advice on is getting the water tank ready to be filled. The PO told me that he had winterized it with antifreez. Now to my mind is not antifreez dangerous? How do I know I've gotten it all out of the tank? This would seem to me, to be a pretty serious maint step. So I'm open to any advice that you can give me on this and many thanks in advance.

Uhrlto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2016, 06:07 PM   #2
The anti freeze should be non toxic, pink in color , 'the pink stuff'. You can see the last of the pink come out all your faucets and toilet. Probably best to sanitize the tank with bleach. Just check internet for the procedure and how much to add per gallons in tank

rkainsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:51 PM   #3
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Welcome, like Rich said, antifreeze for your water system is safe and won't harm you. Just flush until all the pink is gone, then flush again. That Pace should serve you well. They were a well built coach.
2015, HR Ambassador 38DBT / 2006 Jeep TJ Towd
340 Cummins / Freightliner Chassis
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:19 PM   #4

Hi Rich

Glad to have you here.

Like other have mentioned if the antifreeze is a pink color it is safe. However there are a lot of people who don't always do it the correct, so, that said, if the antifreeze is any color other then pink then you will need to flush your tanks and lines a few times. It is probably a good idea to sanitize the holding tanks and line as well. Just do a search and you will find the correct way to do this.

Good luck with your Pace Arrow.

Happy Trails!!
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:37 PM   #5
Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club

Hello Tony,
Great to have you with us! Here's pretty much how I do it. Just open up all sink faucets, and make sure your water heater bypass valve is bypassed, power to water heater should already be OFF.

Then make sure your fresh tank fill valve is closed so water runs through all of your plumbing, not fill the fresh tank. Then just run water through it for several minutes until water coming out all faucets including shower is clear. Also flush toilet several times until clear.

For sanitizing the system, I usually (using a small funnel) slowly pour about a 1/2 pint of bleach into the opening of your inlet fresh water hose. This sanitizes your hose as well as the system. Next, hook up to your fresh water supply and fill your fresh water tank full, (the bleach in the hose is pushed into the fresh water tank).

Again run all water systems, (faucets/shower) for several minutes.
Now open your main drain for the fresh tank and drain remainder out completely. Next, shut main fresh tank drain and refill fresh tank, Run faucets/shower for several minutes to flush any remaining bleach, and turn off faucets/shower. Open the water heater bypass valve so water can enter it, wait about 15 minutes before switching power to water heater ON. Now you can empty your grey and black tanks as usual. Then you should be good to go.

Others may have additional good points to add, please jump in all.
Also, I suggest you check out the vintage rv forum on this site. There are several folks with a coach just like yours there who can be of great help to you too.

Wishing you the very best, safe travels!

Electra 225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:43 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club

If he put the pink stuff IN your fresh water tank,
I would suggest you use the low point drain to get it out before turning on the pump and sending it through the system...

It's not dangerous, just we don't like the 'foamy-ness' of it...
If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:14 PM   #7
Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
There are some more procedures info/discussion in this thread:

De-winterizing on the road.

There are also many more to explore if you search "de-winterize" in search bar above, it is set to search within the forum archives by default.

Electra 225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 04:58 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bruce & Nancy
FMCA F280542
2004 Bounder 35E
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:43 AM   #9
I agree with others. Hopefully the previous owner used RV Antifreeze which is non toxic. We prefer to use compressed air to blow out the waterlines in our RV's past and present. Since we will take the coach to campgrounds close to ski areas several times during the winter, I can just add water and go, and blow the lines out when we get back home.

Welcome to our group. We are all here to help in any way we can.
Good Luck, Be Safe and Above All, Don't Forget To Have Fun
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, being pushed by a 2009 Honda CRV
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:51 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Tony! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Congrats on the new rig! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:47 AM   #11
My gosh, I have heard that RV'er were friendly, but to exsperiance it first hand, wow. My many thanks to all that replied to my help request. All of you are just great and I want to thanks you. I did find a bottle of the pink stuff, as you all called it in the same area as the water fill and drain. I also found some leaks that need to be taken care of. Mostley just dried out washers. Today I'm going to our local RV center here in Reno to get a spray wand to make sure that all the AF is out of the tank and go ahead and fill it with a bit of bleach, as recommended.

Uhrlto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:26 PM   #12
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome. Very glad you have joined us. In my time here I've asked many questions and always get answers that are helpful.

Lots of good advice here about the anti-freeze. You can also do a search on this site and get tons more info.

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome !!!
If you have friends who make you laugh, spend lots of time with them.
2008 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:42 PM   #13
Don't use bleach to clean the tank. Bleach will attack rubber. You have a rubber diaphragm in your water pump. Use hydrogen peroxide. 8 oz of peroxide to one tank of water. Let sit 24 hrs than drain and refill with just water, then drain. Enjoy your rig!!
Stairs up
Wheels rolling!
Safe T Plus
oilman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 02:04 PM   #14
iRV2 No Limits Club
Bleach is what almost every manufacturer out there recommends to sanitize the system. cup per 15 gallons of tank capacity is the recommended concentration, leave in for a minimum of 4 hours then flush the lines and tanks several times. That will not harm the rubber at all, leaving bleach in the system for months will.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

water, tank