Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2014, 09:47 PM   #15

Mine starts the siphoning action while driving. Anytime I hit an area with a right side low and the coach rolls to the right, like making left turns, the water will siphon. Evidently there are no baffles and the water sloshes to that side, creating a head.
jcullipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2014, 09:52 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
It is weird that vent pipes have been pushed into the tank??? Mine has a fitting on the top of the tank with the vent hose attached to it.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:09 PM   #17

Mine does have an elbow fitting at the top, with the hose connected to it.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:24 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Can you take the elbow fitting off and see if there is a dip hose attached to it in the tank? If you can take the fitting off and there is a hose - take that off and put the fitting back on and connect the hose so the overflow runs on the ground.

The fitting can be put back with either a coating of plumbers putty or a wrap or two of teflon plumbers tape.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:31 PM   #19

That sounds like a good plan and will try that, if the dealer fails to fix under warranty. I had some electrical issues were the main reason for going to the dealer and I ask them to fix this also. I found out a long time ago, even if you have warranty, small problems are better fixed by the owner, if he has that ability. Thanks for the suggestion. I hope to get it back by end of week and will do my best to update on my fix or lack thereof.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcullipher View Post
That sounds like a good plan and will try that, if the dealer fails to fix under warranty. I had some electrical issues were the main reason for going to the dealer and I ask them to fix this also. I found out a long time ago, even if you have warranty, small problems are better fixed by the owner, if he has that ability. Thanks for the suggestion. I hope to get it back by end of week and will do my best to update on my fix or lack thereof.

10-4-14, finally getting back to you after repairs and a trip. Camping World rerouted both vent hoses to include a raised loop, as was discussed earlier. I went on near 100 mile drive and lost a half tank of water. I then drilled a small hole into the top of the hose loop, then driving to another campground and home for near 150 miles in the hills of N Ark, I lost about 1/4 of a full tank. We are making progress and I have some other ideas to try. I can live with it, it just annoys me when things don't work to their maximum potential.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:40 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
I've had the same problem with my last 2 coaches. When travelling every time I went around a corner water would slosh to the vent side of the tank and spit a little bit of water out. By the time we arrived at our destination we would loose around a 1/4 tank of water. My solution was to install a shut off valve (ball valve) in the over-flow hose and shut it after filling the tank. Have to make sure you open it when you arrive at your destination or you will create a vacuum in the tank. So far this has worked excellent for me and has become a habit when I set up to "Open The Valve" Hope this helps
mdpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 02:47 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I had the same problem with my fresh water tank draining in my Itasca. How I fixed the problem was I removed the overflow tube and added an 8 ft piece of pex pipe to the fitting at the top of the tank. The overflow was just a 1/2 " screwed in fitting that comes off the tank at a right angel. I removed the 90 and put the pex pipe on then looped it over itself then back to the overflow. I attached the 90 degree fitting and dropped the original 2 ft long overflow pipe back on. That fixed the problem.
Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:51 PM   #23

Flaco,
It was the angel that fixed it.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:11 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
😱 angel or angle? No matter, it worked. 🚌 I think that was the point 😇
Old 10-05-2014, 06:18 PM   #25

mdpuff and I must have been separated at birth

I installed the exact same device to control the problem (physics just causes the siphoning effect) and got all my parts at Home Depot. Only took less than an hour to install. Works like a charm, and as mdpuff said, it just becomes part of my checklist when dry camping using a full tank of onboard water.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:27 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
As long as it works, that is all that matters. Nothing worse then leaving all your fresh water on the road.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:08 PM   #27

Syphoning issue with 2013 Itasca Sunstar 30T

I have a 2013 Itasca Sunstar 30T with the syphoning issue. After completely filling the fresh water tank (or anywhere near it), the action of the water sloshing while driving will make me lose 1/3 to 1/2 tank of water.

Does anyone know how to access the vent hose at the top of the fresh water tank so I can inspect the installation?

Bill
Old 04-18-2015, 11:41 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I have a 2011 35F Sunstar and it did the same thing. What I did was I took an 8 ft piece of 1/2" pex pipe took the overflow fitting off attached the 8 ft pipe looped over the top of the water tank crossing over the top of the pipe on the return end of the pipe. Attached the overflow down pipe and it was done. It took 3 months of trying different things before I found out this worked.

Tags
fresh water, tank, water