Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2016, 07:55 PM   #15

I like to fill tanks with city water before leaving home, the weight has no effect on MPG, unless the whole trip is up hill.

At the camp ground, we use the tank water, until it's empty, then refill from the camp ground water.

If the water at the campground is well water, we add chlorine, If it's a city source we don't.

This way we are always maintaining fresh water for the most part in the tank.
We almost never do an annul sanitizing because we never allow our tanks to get contaminated, using inline filtering for every fill.

DTW

Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2016, 11:36 AM   #16

We use our fresh water tank and pump for the same reasons Old-Biscuit listed unless we are using our onboard washer and even then we have used the pump and fresh water. When the water is out in a campground, we are prepared and we never have to worry about catastrophic leaks. We always turn off the water pump and water heater whenever we leave the RV.

Old 08-05-2016, 05:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
I like to fill tanks with city water before leaving home, the weight has no effect on MPG, unless the whole trip is up hill.

At the camp ground, we use the tank water, until it's empty, then refill from the camp ground water.

If the water at the campground is well water, we add chlorine, If it's a city source we don't.

This way we are always maintaining fresh water for the most part in the tank.
We almost never do an annul sanitizing because we never allow our tanks to get contaminated, using inline filtering for every fill.

DTW
I do the same, I like the idea of having a full tank of water always for whatever situation. I generally don't drink from the tank except for my coffee, but it wouldn't bother me.

All the research I have done says keeping city water in a closed plastic tank will stay good for more than a year. Lack of light and oxygen plus the chlorine means nothing grows.

By using tank water at campgrounds and refilling the water is never more than a month or two old anyway.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:42 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I keep about 1/4 tank even during periods of non use and drain and refill the tank every couple of months when I bring the RV to the house for run up, clean up and battery check. We drink, including our two furry kids, bottled water even though we have the filter at the sink and one inline on the hose. It's been several years ago, but when we did some "dry camping" we would use the ice water melt off from the drinking water cooler to make coffee.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:05 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
We usually travel with a full tank (100 gallons) of fresh water as well. As others have pointed out - we don't notice a difference in MPG either way, so we don't mind having it onboard. Traveling with a full fresh tank is kind of nice. I like having the option of showering daily - even when we're talking quick overnights at Walmarts along the way.

We also give the water at a new campground a quick smell and taste before we hook up. If we're not crazy about the water that's there - we've been known to simply use the stuff we know is "good" that we brought with us and wait until our next stop in the hopes that the water there will be better.
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:54 AM   #20

Reasons to sanitize? Put aside all recommendations. Buy a Brita clear plastic water filter pitcher and regularly fill it with city water, without cleaning it, for a couple of two or three months. See the results and draw your own conclusion. My tank is sanitized twice a year.
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:41 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorgan View Post
Agree again...... You are hauling around 30 to 40 or more thousand pounds, an extra 800 is nothing.

Sorry, maybe I am wrong, I just looked at the profile....it looks like the RV is only 11 feet!!

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
An 11' RV hauling 800# water? I think profile is wrong. I agree with your first paragraph.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:32 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Personally if you are there for such a long time I would just empty it or use it once a month and then refill it with fresh water.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:52 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOne View Post
Reasons to sanitize? Put aside all recommendations. Buy a Brita clear plastic water filter pitcher and regularly fill it with city water, without cleaning it, for a couple of two or three months. See the results and draw your own conclusion. My tank is sanitized twice a year.
I think it's agreed we all appreciate having clean/safe water at our disposal as we enjoy the life style.

How ever there are a few facts we don't take into consideration when we get into one of these discussions.

Yes filtering out all the stuff you can see makes us feel better about the water we use, but in realty it's not the stuff we can see in the water that will hurt us, but the stuff we can't see.

For the folks who sterilize their tanks annually, My hats off to you. But I don't think,(my opinion) you are any better off than those who sanitize once and then filter and use their tanks more often.

No matter what we do, some sediment is going to settle in our tanks, how much depends on how we filter our incoming water.

We have to be sure we never introduce something into our tanks that will make us sick, that's the number one priority. Taste and smell of the water is number two.

Those of you that have ventured through the West Virginia mountain areas know how bad the water smells there. But it's rumored to be very good for you.

I'm sure most of us won't use that water for making coffee, and we don't put that water in our tank, not because it's bad for you, but it smells very bad.

But then once in awhile we stop at a well known camp ground, we use the full hookups and unknowing fill our tanks up with local well water.

That's where we get into trouble, and there are plenty of other threads on this forum to look up and learn how we turn our water storage into a rotten egg smell alike contender.

Bottom line, know the water source, filter it going into your tank, keep good water in the tank when traveling, use the water often to keep it fresh, when in doubt, use a little chlorine to boost the fight against bacteria. Good water can be stored for long periods of time without ill effects, (good water in, good water out).

Just my 2cts

DTW
Old 08-07-2016, 09:10 PM   #24

Really....in our 16 years of full-timing and having many full-timing friends, we've never heard of anyone getting sick from their water tanks. Honestly, have any of you?

We all fill our tanks from various sources and traveled throughout the country. Not one illness....
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Really....in our 16 years of full-timing and having many full-timing friends, we've never heard of anyone getting sick from their water tanks. Honestly, have any of you?

We all fill our tanks from various sources and traveled throughout the country. Not one illness....

Great Point, and all the folks I know who are either part time or full time have the same experience level as you or close to it.

It's the new folks here that are still trying to figure this out, and sometimes getting bogus information like the OP has gotten from the dealership.

At least we've presented some (real life) options for the OP to consider, hope that helps.
DTW
Old 08-08-2016, 06:36 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post

No matter what we do, some sediment is going to settle in our tanks, how much depends on how we filter our incoming water.
That is exactly why most folks place a water sediment filter in-line before amy water enters the RV fresh water plumbing system.

We have to be sure we never introduce something into our tanks that will make us sick, that's the number one priority. Taste and smell of the water is number two.

Those of you that have ventured through the West Virginia mountain areas know how bad the water smells there. But it's rumored to be very good for you.

I'm sure most of us won't use that water for making coffee, and we don't put that water in our tank, not because it's bad for you, but it smells very bad. A PUR carbon water filter will remedy that.

But then once in awhile we stop at a well known camp ground, we use the full hookups and unknowing fill our tanks up with local well water.
ALL public water sources must comply with CDC drinking water standards. Only private (family) wells are not under the CDC standards.

That's where we get into trouble, and there are plenty of other threads on this forum to look up and learn how we turn our water storage into a rotten egg smell alike contender.

Bottom line, know the water source, filter it going into your tank, keep good water in the tank when traveling, use the water often to keep it fresh, when in doubt, use a little chlorine to boost the fight against bacteria. Good water can be stored for long periods of time without ill effects, (good water in, good water out).

Just my 2cts

DTW
Notes highlighted in red.

Well water made available to the public must meet the same standards as municipal water systems.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:06 AM   #27

My $.02 worth (which is about fair market value)...

If I am hooked up to city water for a extended period of time, I drain the water tank, open the filler port and let it dry.

We tend to boondock (or Wal-dock if you prefer) when we are moving so we travel with a full tank. We top off if we are stopping at a camp ground for a bit. All water that goes into the rig - house pipes and tank - goes through a charcoal filter first. (when is someone going to come up with a useful filter for bio-unsafe water?)

We sanitize the fresh water system once a year or more if needed. If needed has not arisen yet.
jrpend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:29 PM   #28

We travel with whatever amount of water happens to be in the tank unless I know we will not be in a campground at night. We drink bottled water, but sometimes use tap water when cooking something. (the water is boiling before we add veggies, oatmeal, etc.) I do use ice made from the water in the tank, but I add enough Southern Comfort to it until I'm sure it's safe to drink.

Tags
fresh water, tank, water