Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-11-2016, 09:48 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree with most everyone here. We have been using our rv continuously for the last two years and have not found the need to sanitize our tank. I have carried water from home, campgrounds, city water and well water. I always travel with 100 gallons and it sometimes sits for 2 months or more if we are hooked up for extended periods. We shower, cook and drink with it. As someone else stated, in all my years of RVing, I have never once heard of anyone getting sick from water that was in an rv system. I don't understand why folks feel the need to drink bottled water instead of the water from their tank.

2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k
mojoracing is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2016, 10:28 PM   #30
I don't like to carry extra weight so only keep a few gallons on board for toilet flushing. I would sanitize the tank beforehand if I were going to boondock somewhere.

--2005 F350 Superduty Crewcab, 6.0, 4wd, short bed, 3.73 gears
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--SOLD 2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38'
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:58 PM   #31
[QUOTE=mojoracing I don't understand why folks feel the need to drink bottled water instead of the water from their tank.[/QUOTE]

I keep forgetting, the was one of the main questions of this thread.

For me/us, it's the consistency of the taste. We like the taste of the bottled water we use, and use it instead of the house tap water.

This does not mean we won't drink our stored water, but when we travel and the stored water has been depleted and refiled on the road, we don't make a habit of drinking it because 90% of the time it will taste different.

Second reason for me, in my line of work, I travel to parts of the world where you would never drink tap water if you want to stay healthy, so bottled water is second nature, and used exclusively.

Dan & Loretta, US Army Retired Aero Scout Pilot
2012 Fleetwood Providence 42P Class A/DP
Spartan Chassis, 8.9L Cummins 450HP
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:40 AM   #32
Originally Posted by jrpend View Post
My $.02 worth (which is about fair market value)...

If I am hooked up to city water for a extended period of time, I drain the water tank, open the filler port and let it dry.

We tend to boondock (or Wal-dock if you prefer) when we are moving so we travel with a full tank. We top off if we are stopping at a camp ground for a bit. All water that goes into the rig - house pipes and tank - goes through a charcoal filter first. (when is someone going to come up with a useful filter for bio-unsafe water?)

We sanitize the fresh water system once a year or more if needed. If needed has not arisen yet.
You are exposing your fresh water tank to airborne contaminants and insects by leaving the fill port open. It will take many weeks to evaporate that 1" of water remaining in the bottom of the water tank- unless you have a drain directly into the bottom of the tank, then you have to slosh the tank around to move remaining water to that bottom drain in the flat tank.
By filtering through a charcoal filter when filling the fresh water tank, you are removing all chlorine that keeps it safe.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:09 PM   #33
Add the fact that filters will not take out everything. Any of us who followed the move to filters when giardia became a problem in the backpacking world know that all filters have limits as to what they will remove. Charcoal is best but loads up fast then still passes water but stops absorbing various chemical compounds as well as removing the useful chlorine.

FWIW we sanitize yearly because we winterize and then use bleach to clear out the antifreeze. We do not put antifreeze in the fresh tank but we do use it for dewinterizing so it gets a dose to sanitize. We also travel with 40 gallons or of fresh and do not use the city water hookup. Had a leak once on the old rig. That was enough.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:46 AM   #34
We only drain the tank to winterize which has been twice in four years. And we always travel with a full tank as we never know where we'll spend the night. What's 65 gal of water on a 28,000+# DP? Keeping it empty to saver weight is like only buying a half tank of diesel to save weight.

Trackrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:54 AM   #35
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When we bought our first MH 23 years ago, we were told to store the it with the water tank completely full as to not allow air space for bacteria to grow. So we always stored it that way and it also gave us a emergency source for water in case of earthquake. We were unable to travel with a full tank due to weight restrictions.

We keep our present MH full at all times while traveling because I have found that it greatly improves handling

Randy & Kathy
2004 Southwind 37A
RandyKathyM is offline   Reply With Quote

fresh water, tank, water