Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-06-2016, 11:56 AM   #1
Fridge and Generator issues

Good morning all, looking for thoughts on two issues. I have a 2016 Sportscoach Cross-country bought new in July 2015. The generator is a Oran RV QD 8000 the issue is that the hours on the gen don't match the hours shown on the Frieghtliner Dash. 182 on generator and 171 on dash, I have spoken to the Frieghtliner folks a couple of times when in for some other work and they say it can not be reset. Didn't push the issue as its minor. Also generator related the Frieghtliner dash is set for generator fuel filter replacement at 100 hours, the manual says 500 hours. Unless there is a good reason to change earlier I'm going with the 500 hours especially as the location and difficulty replacing it make it a pain.

Second issue is the residential Frigidaire, on two occasions it has stopped working for periods of about 24 hours then just started working again.
Both times while connected to shore power with no loss of power. The first time we were on our way home when it started working again, the generator was running. The second time it remained parked connected to shore power when it decided to come back on. Of course its out of warranty now so the best I can get is a discount on parts from Frigidaire. New guy here, thanks for listening.

Don & Myong

Topworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2016, 02:17 PM   #2
We have had a Frigidare res ref for over 5 years without a problem. Have you made sure there is power to the ref outlet? You could have power to coach but no power to ref. On mine there is an access door on outside behind ref where you could check that outlet when the ref quits working. Of course, it could just be the ref.

2011 Monaco Knight 36', MaxForce 10, 350HP, 1150 lbs. Torque.
2008 Saturn Vue Toad, SMI Duo Brake, Roadmaster Sterling Tow Bar
San Antonio, TX Home Port
wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:26 PM   #3
Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Agree w/wiggin, first thing I'd do is verify that the refrig has power. Find the plug for it, and also plug an extension cord into the socket and run the socket into the coach, under the sink if it's convenient. I'd plug a small light into that extension, so you can monitor whether there is always power to that outlet.

If both the frig and light go out, then you know you are loosing power.

If the frig goes out but the light is working, then you have confirmed you have a frig problem.

Tried looking at your inverter specs, but couldn't find it. What is the make/model? Is it a Pure Sine Wave Inverter, or Modified Sine Wave? If Modified, it could have caused your refrig problem.......assuming that you don't have a case of loosing power to the socket.

Perhaps someone else can shed light on the hour mismatch. I've seen that before on a used coach I was looking at, and believe I've read about others with similar problem on forums. I believe it's a problem people live with.
DaveB, Raleigh, NC
2015 Tiffin RED 33AA
2014 Honda CRV
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:40 PM   #4
If you really wanted the meters to match you could apply power to the dash meter until it "caught" up. Of course if the problem is the meter on the dash isn't running correctly you'd have to get a new meter and then hook it up to a supply for several days.
1998 Tioga Class C
400 amp/hrs solar, Trimetric
Retire 2020 GLW
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:20 PM   #5

Both your questions are not that strange.

As for the APU, someone while the coach was in storage or transit, needed electric power. So, he disconnected things so the running time wouldn't show on the dash but was unaware of the meter in the unit. If you want to make them match, the timer can probably be run with shore power for the additional 11 hours.

The reefer probably has one of two things wrong that any repair guy can fix. It is most likely the thermostat where you set the temperature. Next time it stops, give that a smack. This may shake it enough for the contact to make. There is also a box on the compressor (if you can get to it) that contains both a starting relay and an over temp/current cutout. Try the same smack trick there. If one of those gets it, tell a service guy that you know where the problem is. This will save an hour of service call.

F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:18 PM   #6
Thanks to everyone for the help. I don't think the plug is an issue because the fridge display is on and showing the temps inside the freezer and refrigerator as they get hotter so I assume its getting power. I agree with the probable cause of the hours difference and I think I can just live with it, main thing is to pick one meter and be consistent with maintaince based on it. I'm hopeful the fridge doesn't become big issue I'm thinking a wire, sensor or some computer board issue. I'll look around and start figuring how to get access to the power etc. Thanks again for the help.

Don & Myong
Topworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:23 AM   #7
Good question about the APU fuel filter.
500 hrs is correct, but why. Same with any filter. Cat specifies 2 micron. Suppose I ignore changing the filter? What happens? The filter becomes a 1 micron then a 0.5 micron, then shut-off. The engine stops. I then change the filter, and the engine starts. No harm done, and if the fuel used was pretty clean, I saved the $24 for fuel filters with no risk of engine damage, right? Unless the filter disintegrates, I don't see that any hrs is critical. Not going to do that, but again, not sure why not. Not a great idea to let things go like that, but I'm not stopping in traffic when the meter rolls over 500. Would not do that to the RV engine. Don't want to change the fuel filter in traffic when it stops. Same with water, or any filter. Let it go in the house with a well. It finally plugged. I changed it and took a shower.

Any thoughts?
jtmccarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:37 AM   #8
The theory about running with plugged fuel filters is that fuel is the only lubricant that the injectors and nozzles get.

The fuel also works as a coolant, by way of the fuel return from the injection pump, in many systems.

40 years experience says that your method is fine.

Because of the environment, our machines operated in, blocked fuel filters was a common issue. The machine would start to stumble, we would shut down, replace the filter, and start back up and go.

We would routinely run 15,000 to 20,000 hours on the machines before replacing them.

twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote

fridge, generator