Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-10-2016, 08:09 AM   #1

Fridge Bent Seal

I notice the refrigerator vent was cracked and failing so I replaced it and resealed it with Dicor self leveling sealant. Problem is the rubber roof material outside the vent perimeter bubbled up and has air trapped under it. Has this happened to anyone and did it eventually settle down.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1457622512.122117.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	121097

2000 Damon Challenger 335 Ford Workhorse
Skymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2016, 09:05 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I scraped of the old sealant around the vents, skylight, and refrigerator vent last year, use the same Dicor product didn't have any swelling or bubbling.

Chuck & Teri, 1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53 Chassis with tag axle, Chassis build date 1/99 in Mexico, Banks System, Trans Command, Air Lift Air Bags on rear, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars front and rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2013 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel. FMCA #F430129
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:18 AM   #3

I believe that the roof material was stretched when the old vent base was removed. If you had noticed before the new vent was installed you may have been able to work the material down into the vent hole in the roof wood and secure it before you installed the new base.
Slight bubbles can be dealt with by, injecting a glue with a needle through the rubber and releasing the air and pressing the material down on to the glue.
Personally , by the size of the bubbles, I think your stuck with them, but as long as the material doesn't leak and you can avoid cutting the bubbles when you clean the roof , I'd leave it alone.
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:34 AM   #4
I would suggest Eternabond Tape. When applied correctly, you can forget about it for at least a dozen years. Using the "search" window at the top of the page will reveal lots of testimony to how well it works.
George R. - Fulltiming since January '03
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 3991
2012 Chevy Malibu LT1
gruelens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:30 PM   #5

Well I bit the bullet and removed the vent and re-glued the roofing rubber to the coach. I'll go back and reinstall the vent and reseal it. I love doing projects twice don't you? Makes the third time easier cause you're good at it by then. lol.
2000 Damon Challenger 335 Ford Workhorse
Skymark is offline   Reply With Quote

air under roof material