Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2009, 10:21 PM   #1

Question Fridge is full. Now what?

Hello,

So just about everytime we go camping the fridge gets full fast. What would you reccomend for keeping stuff cold. I have been thinking about a 12 volts cooler but I'm not sure how fast it would drain the batteries.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Brandon

2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax-Allison
bccsrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2009, 04:06 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
A 12 volt compressor refrigerator will be a pretty heavy draw on batteries. A thermoelectric refrigerator will probably not get the job done in warm weather. I would recommend a big cooler since your refrigerator is too small.

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:34 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bccsrc View Post
Hello,

So just about everytime we go camping the fridge gets full fast. What would you reccomend for keeping stuff cold. I have been thinking about a 12 volts cooler but I'm not sure how fast it would drain the batteries.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Brandon
Brandon, consider one of the "newer" high operformance ice chests, and use dry ice as the cooling agent..It will last for several days, if you dicipline your use.."Back in the Day", we were watersking at the Central Arizona lakes, "in-the-shade" temps around 110* regularly, and managed to keep things cool for 3-4 days.. Our rule was to know what you wanted to remove, think about where it was located, open the lid, grab the item and re close, no" browsing"....With your fridge ( which we didnt have), You could keep "overstock" in the "dry ice" chest, and re stock your fridge as it emptys.. rgr..

.ps, Dry Ice will freeze things, produce, eggs, beer , skin, etc., so plan accordingly
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:58 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well... RV Refrigerator - RV Refrigerator Source

Some comments: This unit is kind of pricey, however, it's very very good, I have a competitor's equivlent (Engel) Mine will go all the way to zero degrees... and draws a whopping 36 watts doing it (I have light bulbs that draw more) IN short, next to nothing.. IT is dual power, I run it on 12vdc in the RV but have hooked it to 120 volt in the house.. Very nice unit. well worth the price in my opinion.

The one linked to above is a Norcold

NOTE: Both Norcold and Dometic, as I recall, sell RV-Fridges with the same low-power technology.. THeprice is high, but as I said. I think it's worth it.. Very nice unit.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:58 PM   #5

I used one of those 12 volt cooler you can buy at Costco for $45 and did not have problems with the battery drain but I always was on the go or plugged in to shore power so battery drain was not an issue. I did find that they were not ment for long term service as the cooling unit would ice over. It is not a quite unit when you are sleeping. After 5 weeks of continuous use it gave up the ghost and we now use it as a straight cooler.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:26 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Well... RV Refrigerator - RV Refrigerator Source

Some comments: This unit is kind of pricey, however, it's very very good, I have a competitor's equivlent (Engel) Mine will go all the way to zero degrees... and draws a whopping 36 watts doing it (I have light bulbs that draw more) IN short, next to nothing.. IT is dual power, I run it on 12vdc in the RV but have hooked it to 120 volt in the house.. Very nice unit. well worth the price in my opinion.

The one linked to above is a Norcold

NOTE: Both Norcold and Dometic, as I recall, sell RV-Fridges with the same low-power technology.. THeprice is high, but as I said. I think it's worth it.. Very nice unit.
I also use one of these, but mine is a Dometic (Waeco). I had the same problem. Too much food and not enough room for a 4 day remote trip. Their draw is very low and the performance is excellent. I also have a thermoelectric cooler, used in the past. Their amp draw is more than the compressor models (5 vs 3) and they will only cool approx. 40 degrees lower than the ambient temp. The down side of the compressor models are their cost.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:12 PM   #7

I wonder if this would draw lots of power?

Coleman PowerChill Thermoelectric Cooler $119.99. What type of draw do you think it would have?

Most of the time this would be used for Soda and water.

They really like their stuff on the link.

2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax-Allison
bccsrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:49 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
How about using MRE's (meals ready to eat) or for the older crowd, C's or K's? Non require refrigeration
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:23 PM   #9

I have a Koolatron 12v thermoelectric cooler. I found one that would fit in the cargo bay. Has a 36 quart capacity, draws 4 amps and will maintail the temp in the cooler about 40-45 degrees less than outside air. I used it for fish storage in Alaska. I would fillet the catch, vacuum seal and freeze in the MH freezer. When they were frozen, transfer to the Koolatron. In 40 degree nights and 65 degree days it would keep the fish frozen. When referigerator, Koolatron and freezer were full I would make a fish run to put all in my brothers freezers in Anchorage. The Koolatron ran in the CRV. On the way out of Anchorage we could do some grocery shopping and put the stuff that needed to stay cool in the Koolatron.
It does need ventellation. You can't close it up in the cargo bay and expect it to maintain the temperature. We used it for drinks a few times. If you want the drinks cold any time soon you have to start out with them cool.

garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote