Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2014, 08:15 AM   #29

That info is very helpful and reassuring to me Richard. Thanks! Did you remove the wheels from your unit? If they are removed does that create an issue with cleaning underneath?

Jim
rvjimzhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2014, 08:30 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Jim,

No the wheels are still there as there was plenty of room to lower the floor to accommodate the Samsung RF197. I had a large storage area underneath that is now a "small" storage area.

Some people have removed them who needed the extra fraction of inches to get the fridge to fit.

If you haven't seen my installation documentation previously through your searches I have attached it once again.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Samsung RF197ACBP.pdf (2.55 MB, 64 views)
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:33 AM   #31

Richard, is your outside access panel the typical 21" x 13" ? I'm referring to the panel on the outside of your coach. The ones I notice all seem to be the same size as mine....21x13. Am trying to picture removing that panel and the ease (or not) of then removing the rear panel of the fridge.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:39 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
I don't know, never measured it but it is the standard three vent one used on any Norcold installation.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:42 AM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Jim, thanks again for the PM to me about your frig parts that may be available. It looks like you are on the right track for getting it replaced.

Richard, those are some great pics on the removal and installation of your frig.

Everyone have a nice day.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:34 AM   #34

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I left the rear panel completely off and can see in and access the rear bottom of fridge from the outside without moving anything but the old outside vent door. The vent door vents have been sealed up with metal tape. It looks like normal from the outside.

Since my space is very tight in the rear, leaving the rear panel off gives better circulation under and around the unit. Most other res. fridges that I have seen don't have panels there at all. Not sure why this one has it. Maybe a new concept.

BTW, I removed the wheels to gain the height I needed.

John
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:53 AM   #35

It's been a busy week while trying to determine a course of action toward a new fridge. Thanks once again to everyone who offered help here! Once again being able to access such a range of opinion as well as expert advice is a huge help to someone like me who is simply an "appliance operator". With that, I've decided, for many reasons, that I'll have installed a new Dometic Elite 2+2 4-door fridge rather than the Samsung residential. My situation and concerns make this, at least in this rig for now, the best option and I'm comfortable with that. Once again, I really appreciate this group!

Jim
Old 03-01-2014, 05:01 AM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
I've decided, for many reasons, that I'll have installed a new Dometic Elite 2+2 4-door fridge rather than the Samsung residential.
You do know the newer ones, are taller in height then the old side by sides.
And will take some modification to fit.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:57 AM   #37

Yes it is but not enough to be a problem.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:22 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvjimzhr View Post
I'm about ready to "pull the trigger" but the last thing on my mind is access for service. I spoke with a Samsung warranty rep. She said that in the event of a repair requiring removal of the fridge from its cabinet, "some service workers will remove the unit and some might require you to remove it" before they will work on it.

I guess my questions now are:

How common are repairs requiring full access to the rear of the unit or major malfunctions requiring removal from the cabinet?

Has anyone gone through this yet?

What did the repair tech do or not do when faced with the problem?

Are we just "crossing our fingers" and hoping we never have a serious repair issue?

Jim
I just had the compressor replaced in my GE Profile three door. The tech diagnosed the problem through the access door on the outside. He ordered the compressor and called me an hour before he arrived. I and a neighbor in the campground pulled the refrigerator out into the middle of the room. The tech was happy about that, and 90 minutes later everything was back to normal.

Regarding leaving the back panel off to ease future servicing, our tech said it needed to be in place to ensure proper airflow through and around the various parts.
Rbhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:40 AM   #39

That is good to know but I'm going ahead with the Dometic 4-door replacement. I will post here in a few weeks after the install is complete.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:38 AM   #40

One of the reasons I went with my Whirlpool is that if any maint. is needed it can be done from the outside by removing the old access panel on the coach. When you open it the compressor and everything else is right there in front of you.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:57 PM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
I have a 2000 Dutch Star, and last Nov. my Dometic started going bad. I have an extended warranty and talked them into putting a residential in. They were all for it because it was cheaper for them. I measured, measured, and measured again to make sure the fridge I chose would fit with the least amount of wood working. I found a Whirlpool that fits the same space, and is bigger inside. A lot of people go with the Samsung. But I must say I should've done it a lot sooner, it is really nice to go into it and pull out a really cold beer whenever I want. Plus Ice cream stays frozen.
Do you know what Whirlpool model you have?
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:38 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesinRockies View Post
Do you know what Whirlpool model you have?

Model # WRT111SFAB00.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, replace, replacement