Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2016, 02:42 PM   #15

thanks for the update............good looking flame once it cleaned up

As for that flue/flue baffle
If your fridge is in a slideout then access is via upper vent cover
If your fridge is not in a slideout and has a roof vent then you have to access via roof vent

View looking down thru roof vent

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2016, 03:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post

If your fridge is not in a slideout and has a roof vent then you have to access via roof vent

Ok. that makes more sense. Mine is not in a slide out, I'll go pull the top off and check it out. Thanks for the info and the pic.

My joy was short lived though...i went back out to put all the covers back on, and as I was doing that, she quit. I started her up again, quit again. As soon as I put the cover over the flame tube/igniter/sensor she quit and when the outer panel was on. Don't know if somehow I reassambled the flame shield on incorrectly, or some random hiccup...but when I took them all off...worked again just fine. I tried to slowly put the shields back on...it is running now, and I'm crossing my fingers. i'm going to let it run for an hour while i run an errand...so wish me luck.

I did snap a couple of pics....one of my control module. Looks like based on what I've been told mine is a "newer" one because of the green resin on the board? and if someone could tell me if I'm replacing the flame shield correctly...particularly where it sits and the flame sensor. There are a couple of flanges, as to which side of the 'box' the flange of the flame sensor should be and where the flame shield is...can you tell from my pics if I've done it correctly?

Thanks in advance. Off to pick up a brake bleeder so I don't have to have the Mrs. sitting out there when I bleed and replace the MC!

Old 02-22-2016, 05:44 PM   #17

Quote:

Also, as I just looked at mine, I'm not sure they designed it well or at all for me to get to that. there are fins from the back of the fridge that are in the way. i'm not sure I can even snake my arms down to the point to get to it...I also would have to take off the entire roof housing...when I took off that lid...there was a one piece grate that was molded into the same piece as the roof vent housing...its the piece that's glued to the roof with no leak stuff.... I suppose I could cut out the plastic mesh, try to reach in, and then replace the mesh with an aluminum or metal mesh I attach after the fact...but from the top nor the bottom, I can't see the top of that flue at all. I would mostly be feeling blind for it

still bugs me that it shutoff again. It did run long enough to get a warm fridge cold and freeze the freezer...but when i got back, probably 1.5 hours later, i came back to it being in "check" mode.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:05 AM   #18

Quote:
That is the 'flue' and inside of it is a 'flue baffle' which hangs down from top

The 'flue baffle' should be removed once a year and wire brushed clean. It is spiral in design to evenly distribute the heat from the propane flame.

With it out the flue should also be brushed to remove rust/debris......just like a chimney sweep.

Clean flue/flue baffle makes for better 'cooling' effect and burner slots don't end up with crud falling down/blocking them.
Good post Old-Biscuit. That is the proper way to clean the flue for sure. I looked for a way to get to mine from the top and soon realized I would have to take the vent off the roof, which meant removing a lot of sealant. The only time my flue received that sort of attention was when I removed the fridge and sent the cooling unit off for repair. Also the time it was removed to tumble the whole fridge around my front yard.
Maybe it is the wet damp air in NW, but the flue seems to produce enough debris, that I end up tapping the flue and cleaning my burner a few times a year and we don't use it much more than that.
The fridge I am referring to is the one in our old Bounder, which is a lot better unit than flimsy fridge that came with the Bay Star.

Steady_Rest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge