Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2019, 08:06 PM   #1

Fried my microwave how do you remove it, help ???

I fried my microwave and it is in a slide do not know how to remove it any help would be appreciated its in a class A Monaco knight???
SirRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2019, 08:12 PM   #2

Any bolts/screws visible on the underside of the shelf it sits on? Or, is there a face frame on the compartment it is in? If so look at the jams in the adjacent compartment for bolts/screws.

How about some pictures?
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:20 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How do you know you fried it? I can tell you that probably 99% of microwave oven failures are due to a faulty $3 door latch safety switch. Does the fan run when you open the door? Or fan runs but doesn't heat? Probably a door switch. There are at least three and they are cheap micro switches made in China. You can buy them on eBay.
Fixed microwaves in both the motorhome and the S&B, both were worn out switches.
I shudder to think how many microwaves are rusting away in a landfill somewhere for lack of a $3 part.
Just my opinion FWIW.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pack-EXP4...S!-1:rk:2:pf:0
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:22 PM   #4

Mine had 2 large screws on bottom and the wood trim on top was held in gap with velcro. Once top trim removed there were 2 square head screws to remove then front of MW will drop down. Put something under so it only drops a little. Then lift the rear of MW up and pull towards you and it should come out. The power cord is on top, unplug before starting and push slack into the hole then u can pull the plug out once MW is free. I bought a new convection one because my coach doesn’t have an oven. It was around $600 IIRC and the door hinge was slightly different angle and i had to spread the opening to get door to open smoothly. Best of luck.
Jon_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:26 PM   #5

My home MW had no power and the only thing wrong was the snap switch that detects overheating failed open. I happened to have one of same range in my shop so if ur good with a meter just trace the hot lead till u find the switch and see if its passing 110v. It is round and about the size of a nickel. My motorhome MW was coming apart all plastic was breaking off just to the touch.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:41 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thete is often a fuse behind the removable front panel. If blown, kills all power to the unit.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:02 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What make and model microwave?

What year is your coach?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:36 PM   #8

Thank you all for the kind help, I am humbled...our microwave is a typical Sharp carousel microwave/convection I replaced the fuse pluged it in and nothing ? Looking closer at the control board I noticed what looks like 2 magnetoes wrapped wit wax paper and one was burnt to a crisp ,thought it was going to be an easy fix and 2 days later still in same position, cant find replacement parts its a 2000 model and its around 600.00 to replace with a newer model. I did not know these things were so expensive dang, thanks for all your responses.
Respectfully
Rich
SirRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:37 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My Sharp was held in place with two long bolts that ran diagonally from the bottom front of the microwave up to the back into the mounting bracket. Those were easy to find.

The hard part was finding two more bolts that ran into the top of the microwave. It was bolted under a storage cabinet and I had to remove the floor of the cabinet which was STAPLED into the framework.

Once I removed that cabinet floor I could see the two bolts going into the top of the microwave and removed them.

Word of caution....that Sharp microwave is very heavy and bulky. You need TWO people to remove it.

I suggest removing it BEFORE you buy another microwave because they all mount in different ways.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 06:00 AM   #10
YC1

As I recall, it has to tilt down and then lift the back a tad bit.

A good safe cover for the counter top is a must of course as is having two people because it is heavy.

I think pic 23 kind of shows where the screws are hidden that keep it in place. Up through the removable vent covers on the bottom.

If you are up to it and yours has not been modified for external venting, now is a good time to do so.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sharp Insight Model R-1880L microwave.pdf (652.3 KB, 58 views)

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 06:43 AM   #11

The reason it is so expensive is, it is a convection Microwave. You can replace it with the same unit or a different one that is not a convection, if you want to. The limiting factor is the way it mounts in the coach.
I had the same thing in a Fleetwood expedition that I owned. I was very lucky, I shopped around on craigslist and found one in Atlanta Ga, for 150.00. As we were going to florida at the time, we would be going right through Atlanta. I called the contact number and got in touch with the young lady who had it told her if she would hold it until I got there I would pay 200.00 for it. She did and I was a very happy camper
Mine was removed by removing the surround a few screws, then the mounting bolts, the cord was actually in an adjacent cabinet where it plugged in.
It wasn't hard for me, but i'm pretty handy as they say
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:35 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Take a look at this video and see if it helps.

Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:48 AM   #13

I just did this replacement in my Alpine with a Sharp 1874 convection microwave. I didn't watch the posted video but I believe it will explain and show you how to do it.

There may be some differences on how a manufacturer installs the unit, however. Mine had no bolts/screws in the top from the overhead cabinet as some had posted. The key, at least on the 1874, is the mounting plate that is secured to the wall behind the microwave. It has a lip along the bottom that the rear edge of the micro rests on, and the diagonal bolts that others mentioned literally pull the microwave up and against the wall. On my unit, the bolts are found behind the grease filters on the bottom of the oven. Final step is to put two large screws upward into the lip that holds the rear edge of the oven so the oven stays firmly against the wall.

As noted, yours may be installed differently and removing it first would be a good idea. Replacing it with the exact model will also be easier as the mounting should be the same and you can reuse the existing mounting plate and bolt locations.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:06 AM   #14

Our GE microwave/convection is held in with a separate mounting frame in back and 4 screws drilled diagonally into the cabinets on each side. I had to remove the front vent cover to find them.

Tags
microwave