Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-27-2015, 12:38 PM   #29
Newmar Owners Club
Originally Posted by Travel4Work View Post
I waved at every possible RV I passed, of course admiring whatever the coach or trailer was. Over 14 days I think I had one other person wave back!
It's true in the West as well For me anyway. I always wave, and get less than 5% waving back. I concluded that MH waving is NOT actually a thing. This in all 3 coastal states, plus Alberta, BC, Montana, Idaho and Wyoming.

As a road cyclist, I'm used to well over 90% waving back. Even motorbikers wave to us sometimes on our road bikes.

2015 Newmar Bay Star 3215
Vacay Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2015, 02:14 PM   #30
Winnebago Owners Club
I think it is neat to wave, doesn't cost anything and it may make someone smile. We all need to smile MORE just saying more

WV Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:43 PM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
LOL I just posted in another thread about not seeing any other RVer wave when we passed each other and figured it was because everyone had both hands glued to the steering wheel! I know I did as it was my first time driving our RV over 300 miles each way to San Antonio and back this weekend and the drive down was in rain and 18 wheelers pushing me around and CTB right outside my door. So if you waved at me I did not wave back as I had my eyes glued to the road and the steering wheel. Thank you Hurricane Patricia!

Here in TX at least as a pickup truck driver we always wave here in the country when folks pass each other on a country road.

Hopefully after i have more left seat time I will relax more and be able to see more around me. I was reading another thread and looks like steering stablizers are in the future for me to make driving a bit less stressful for me/us.

That way the next time my husband lets me take the RV to a Koi and Goldfish show, (everyone said the fish were really traveling in style, LOL) I'll enjoy the ride and drive more. There were lots of RV's on I 35 this weekend all traveling faster than I was!

Big wave to all here in IRV2!!!
2001 Tiffin Allegro Bus
Freightliner Chasis
35' w/ 1 slide
McKinney, TX
McKTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 05:46 PM   #32

I wave at others and get the most response when waiving from my bike, then the Mini Cooper, then the wrangler and fewest from the motorhome. I think often motorhome windshield with the sun on it blocks the view of a wave.
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 09:33 PM   #33
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

When im a highway drivin I always wear white gloves. When I wave people notice!
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:04 PM   #34

Actually a lot of people driving RV's don't wave because they're in terror of driving their 27k to 50k of motor coach, toad and STUFF down the road, and are afraid to take one of their hands off of the steering wheel!

Personally I don't wave too much, not because I'm antisocial or anything, but the plain truth, is most of the time I've driving down the road, I'm asleep, so I don't see the other people wave!
Scot & Laura Kellersberger
2001 Newmar 4 wheel drive Dutch Star 3891, 2005 GMC Canyon. Demco Tow Bar & Baseplate U.S.Army (ret)
1985 - 2006
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:18 PM   #35
Winnebago Owners Club
Friendly wave made me smile

Folks driving in Atlanta often wave at each other.

But instead of using their whole hand, they only use one finger for some reason.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 09:47 AM   #36
Thor Owners Club
As a long time Jeep Wrangler owner, I always do the Jeep wave, sometimes even when I am behind the wheel of my MH. Just an old habit, I guess.
2016 Thor Hurricane 35C with our pups MacDuff, Piper and Sydney
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 07:42 PM   #37
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Come to Vermont and drive our secondary roads. Good chance you will not wave due to the condition of the roads. You need a tight grip and lots of attention to the potholes.

I have no problem waving but for the most part I do not initiate it. We most certainly do have something special in common and I'm happy to wave. I ride a bike and operate the same way when on that. You wave and I'll return the gesture.

It's not easy being anti-social but I'm working at it and by the way when I do wave I use my entire hand and not just one finger. I save that for some very special drivers ..... when my bride isn't looking !!!
If you have friends who make you laugh, spend lots of time with them.
2008 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:03 AM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
I know on the country roads a lot of the times that is our wave, kinda the index finger just and acknowledgement of passing each other, kinda like tipping a hat I guess, or a head nod.

2001 Tiffin Allegro Bus
Freightliner Chasis
35' w/ 1 slide
McKinney, TX
McKTX is offline   Reply With Quote