Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2018, 12:03 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Front and back clearance lights not working!

All my clearance lights are not working, which by itself isn't a big deal. Except for the fact that my self installed wireless backup camera was wired into that circuit in place of the middle back light!

Searching these forums implies there may not be a fuse for these, so maybe it's a bad ground, but where?

Note that this problem started after a rainy night, and I noticed that two of my front clearance lights had cracked lenses (since replaced) that may have allowed water in.

I've uploaded the wiring diagram I have for my 2003 Itasca workhorse 27' class A, but not sure it will attach to this posting (?). Thanks for any help anyone can provide!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2003 Itasca clearance lights.JPG
Views:	712
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	219663  
murraymcleod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2018, 04:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraymcleod View Post
All my clearance lights are not working, which by itself isn't a big deal. Except for the fact that my self installed wireless backup camera was wired into that circuit in place of the middle back light!
The fact that lights required for safety are not a big deal tells me a lot about you.

Quote:
Searching these forums implies there may not be a fuse for these, so maybe it's a bad ground, but where?
I'm certain that if it does not have a circuit breaker there will be a fuse. The most likely cause for it to blow will be where you changed the light...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:16 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
The fact that lights required for safety are not a big deal tells me a lot about you.t...

Thanks for your concern Scooby, but you really know nothing about me. The fact is, I never drive my motorhome after dark, hence my comment that I don't need these lights for safety.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:47 PM   #4
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Well I was set to give you a couple of ideas but with that reply, forget it.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:10 PM   #5

murraymcleod-

According to the wiring diagrams for your coach, the front clearance lights are fed through fuse D2 of the Instrument Panel Convenience Center (IPCC). The IPCC is supposedly located to the left of the steering column, on the firewall, under the dash. The same circuit, "MM," feeds the rear clearance lights. Refer to your chassis owner's manual for the location of fuse D2 on the IPCC.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 04:11 AM   #6

murraymcleod-

Here are the details about where to find info on the clearance light wiring, using the wiring diagrams I linked to above.

Note that you have to be careful to pick out the pages that apply to the Workhorse gas chassis. The diagrams can contain info on the Ford and Workhorse diesel (?!?) chassis.

Rear and Front Clearance Lights, fed by circuit "MM"
Auto Lamps Wiring Diagram
Sheet 1, Zones A-1 through A-8 (PDF page 2)
Sheet 2, Zones A-8 through B-8 (PDF page 3)

Circuit "MM"
Automotive Wiring Diagram
Sheet 1, Zone D-13 (PDF page 3) shows Workhorse I/P (Instrument Panel) Convenience Center, fuse D2
Sheet 1, Zone D-19 (PDF page 4) shows 2-pin connector to front clearance lights
Sheet 1, Zone D-22 (PDF page 4) shows 12-pin connector to rear clearance lights

Location of I/P Convenience Center in coach
Front End Wiring Installation
Sheet 1, Zone B-6 (PDF page 2)
Sheet 2, Zone A-7 (PDF page 3) shows View BB

You can download the complete set of wiring diagrams for your coach at this link. What's nice about the complete set is that it includes the info in the "secret decoder ring," a.k.a. the "Wiring Identification Guide" (link here).
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:04 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mark: Thanks for all this great info!
Old 09-24-2018, 12:31 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Found the Clearance Light Fuse!

With all the help from above, I was able to locate the blown fuse for my clearance lights! My P-32 chassis IPCC coach fuses are under the hinged dash, and the 15 amp clearance light fuse was labeled #17 as in the attached picture (the upper 15 amp fuse in the middle).

At the same time I was able to find the reason that the reading lamp over the driver seat had no power, as the #18 socket that controls that light had no fuse in it!

Thanks to all for the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IPCC P32 Fuses.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	274.0 KB
ID:	220396  
Old 09-25-2018, 06:35 AM   #9

Work back from the lights and disconnect harness plugs as you find them. Headlights off, one turn signal and other lights on. The turn signal power is for testing your test light as you work back to find power then work forward to find an open circuit. Also, make sure the bulbs are grounded.

__________________________________________________ ____________
2007 Honda Fit Sport,10.8 gal,15″ diameter, 6″ width, 109 hp
Best regards, Dalina Diceus
Dalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:32 AM   #10

Gentlemen, please.....Cant we all just get along? Is there anyone among us without sin?

Glad you found the problem. I would suggest you look briefly for a water leak that might be there even if it did not trip the breaker. You mentioned a cracked lens.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights