Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2017, 11:12 AM   #1

Front door step

We have a 2005 Winnebago Journey 36G and the front door step has stopped working. Any thoughts on how to diagnose the problem & a repair solution?

HappyRVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2017, 11:17 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRVers View Post
We have a 2005 Winnebago Journey 36G and the front door step has stopped working. Any thoughts on how to diagnose the problem & a repair solution?
Have you lubricated All of the mechanism? 99.99% of step problems occur because they have not been lubricated regularly. Boshield T9 is but far the best spray lube I've used.

https://www.amazon.com/Boeshield-T-9...=boeshield+t+9

Old 08-24-2017, 11:24 AM   #3

No, I have not lubricated the mechanism, but will do so. Thanks
Old 08-24-2017, 11:41 AM   #4

Take a look at this if you have Kwikee Steps.

2006 Windsor PRT
Dalsn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:40 PM   #5

Look at the sensor on the inside of the door and your fuse, I had to reattach the sensor.
Super Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:43 AM   #6

First check for power at the motor. Work forward or backward depending on what is found. Take spray lube with you and lube all pivots while under coach. If finding no power to motor and lubing all pivots, work underneath is pretty much done and trouble is topside. Start with sensor then wiring, to include fuse working back in circuit to power source. Be careful if steps are retracted while doing checks, they might energize and move out causing you harm if standing in their way.
Regwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:08 AM   #7

Just fixed mine, '07 Fleetwood it was the magnetic door switch on screen door. Kwikee has a nice diagnostic sheet for testing. Lubrication is good place to start but if it was fairly quiet and just suddenly quit then it is going to take a little test work, or take it in.

I spent all told about 4 hrs from start of testing to finish of job and waiting for parts a few days. Likely a few hundred if you take it in.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:43 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry I can't offer suggestions on your problem! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:34 AM   #9

Sorry it has taken so long to post this response to everyone’s suggestions. I ended up buying a new step motor, took it to my trusted repair shop and they charged 1/2 hour shop time to remove & replace. That solved my problem & the step has been working great since.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Sorry it has taken so long to post this response to everyone’s suggestions. I ended up buying a new step motor, took it to my trusted repair shop and they charged 1/2 hour shop time to remove & replace. That solved my problem & the step has been working great since.

For future reference kwiki has a good web site to diagnose problems.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:45 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
My manual says to lube the steps once a month.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 04:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
My manual says to lube the steps once a month.

I’ve started spraying a little lubricant on the hinges also. Thanks for your comment.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:50 AM   #13

Every now and then steps stay in or out. End up dismantling the gear box and then it works. Can find nothing that would cause a drag enough to trip the open/close sensor. Ideas??
Sugardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:19 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Should you need to replace the motor in the future, you might want to try and replace it yourself. It's a 15 minute job and the motor is generally held on by a couple bolts. Several YouTube videos available to show you how easy it is.

Good luck!

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door