Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-22-2010, 08:08 AM   #15
iRV2 Marketing
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
The front engined diesel is going to be more prominent going forward because it may just be the only power plant that can be used as a prime mover for Class A motorhomes where an OEM is looking for a front engine solution.

Tiffin has been reportedly on the ropes in regard to its use of the FRED however that said, they have not given up on the technology. The Tiffin Breeze is moving from a concept to a production vehicle using the non-SCR MaxxForce7 Advanced EGR V-8 dual-turbo charged diesel engine.

The Four Winds Serrano is a vehicle in practically the same weight range as the Breeze which will use the same powertrain.

Monaco RV LLC has stated that they will be using MaxxForce engines in RDP installations and the next logical step would be to use the MF7 in a front engine motorhome.

Winnebago Industries has as a SKU both FRED and Workhorse W20D front engine options however I am not at all certain how those sales are moving along. When I do a search for NEW front engined anything the only option out there at the moment is a Ford V10 gas. This to will end in time.

Yes you can expect in my opinion to see Ford producing a front engine diesel Super Duty Chassis using their new (off shore) Power Stroke Diesel.

Make no mistake, front engined Motorhome chassis are not going away. If you have the opportunity to crank over a MaxxForce7 you will hear or not for yourself how quiet the engine is. Even without a body on the rail, the engine was pretty quiet when they were moving it from the transporter to the display floor.

Tiffin Breeze Press Release

03 Adventurer 38G, Workhorse W22
F&R Track Bars, Safety+ , Ultrapower, Taylor Extremes, SGII
TST 507, Blue Ox, SMI, Koni FSD, CrossFire
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2010, 12:43 PM   #16
Last December, my wife & I traded a 2000 Winnie Chieftain with the Ford V-10 and Banks Power Pack for an '08 Simba FRED, model 38 SDS with the 300 hp Cummins and 5 speed Allison tranny. We've had almost all types of of RVs but never a diesel. Contrary to what's posted elsewhere, the FRED is much quieter than the Ford, has more power, is smoother, and in the mountains, leaves the V-10 behind.
Ours had 12,000 miles on it, supposedly from a Council Bluffs, IA dealer who rented it, as the owner's manuals were clean and without grease thumbprints! We've since put 8,000 on it from Tucson to Sioux Saint Marie locks and it's very trustworthy. Because we were the first owners, Freightliner gave us a $1500 Visa card for fuel, which is long gone!
This model has a hydraulic lift instead of a ramp and its load capacity of 3300# is fine for our Gold Wing trike but the length of the lift platform has no room to spare. We've used 4x4 blocks to prevent rolling off the back during the lifting, but will change to a come-along strap in the future.
The Simba has 4 floor plans but ours has a single slide and with a narrow hallway and 3 doors that are often in each other's way.
Pulling the Wrangler and carrying the trike, we get almost 10 mpg when on cruise at 55 - 60 mph.
You probably know that the brakes are hydraulic, not air, and the suspension is not air.
We chose this over a very large Class C with hydraulic lift because of the high window square footage. We also have dogs and the tile floor is a breeze to keep clean.
Good luck and enjoy RVing.

bseidler3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:37 AM   #17
Thank you the unit sold before I could get down to SC to drive it.

So I am back to square one. I am particularly looking for something that will suit my needs for showing my dogs at herding events.

Which means off the road and no hookups.

Thank you so much for the advice. I guess I am back to the drawing board.

maccorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:53 PM   #18
Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Originally Posted by maccorgi View Post

So I am back to square one. I am particularly looking for something that will suit my needs for showing my dogs at herding events.

Which means off the road and no hookups.
For your use think...
  • Water (100 gal)
  • Grey (75 gal)
  • Black (50 gal)
  • LP (45 lb)
  • battery (800 Ahr)

• Generator (8K)
  • SOLAR (450 Watts)

Michael (Home base Northern CO)
USED TO HAVE; 03 Alpine 40MDTS Now RVless
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote