Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2010, 12:14 PM   #1

Front End Diesel - Safari FD Simba help

Does anyone have a Safari Simba FD. I am looking at buying a 2008. It was never titled and I have some concerns about buying something 3 years old and NEW.

I have looked at it and a Fleetwood Provedence. 2007.

Any other issues I should investigate? I know there is no warrentee on the Safari and I plan on asking for the extended in the price. It is about 40% off the MSRP which seems to be a little high.

Also does any one have any information about going to a FRED vs a DP?

This will be my first MH. I go to dog shows, herding events, agiltiy trials - the last two are definitely camping with no hook ups and usually on unlevel land.

I travel with my work and considering living in the MH since the company will pay for the campground and milage to and from home and back. I am gone for several weeks/months at a time. And could be anywhere in the USA/Canada

Regards,

MacLaren Herding - Jett, Andy and Yuri
maccorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2010, 03:15 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccorgi View Post
Does anyone have a Safari Simba FD. I am looking at buying a 2008. It was never titled and I have some concerns about buying something 3 years old and NEW.
maccorgi, There is a reason why that rig was sitting there for so long however I wouldn't know what that might be. Some folks have made out just fine while others have had issues with what is called a "lot queen".

If I were going to be spending a lot of time in a rig, I would suggest that if you can afford the time to look, check out a rear diesel pusher arrangement unless you like the deal for the FRED. RDPs have air suspensions and all the noise is behind you as you are driving. That might be important to you - long term.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:17 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
For a first time owner it would be nice to have a company behind what you buy. As a matter of fact it is always better to have the company still in business. We have had to gassers and our DP should arrive any day. I considered a FRED but it seems it only has two advantages...mileage and torque, but there is a big cost difference over gas. The DP costs more but has air suspension the engine in the back and other pluses
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:48 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A gas engine in front is noisey and cooks itself. I can't imagine what a front diesel engine is like. You would lose all the benifits of a pusher.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:39 PM   #5

For shore a diesel pusher what good is to have a diesel if you still going to have a noisy engine with you and no air suspension. My opinion nooooo front diesel. Joe
ninos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:17 PM   #6

Seems no one likes the FRED - I know the gas is way too noisy my Jett is terrified in the motor homes and I totally understand as the gas motor homes are so noisy that you can't talk to anyone over the engine noise. I was hoping that would be a solution since I really can't afford a DP.

I wanted something I could afford and thought that it would be a solution to the noise of the gas.

I did look at a Fleetwood providence - but it is definitly more money then I have.

I also looked at the Damon Challenger - did not drive it yet did not have the time.
Really liked the layout. With the office desk and the fireplace - ( not really a requirement).

I am thinking about going back to the drawing board. Yet I also think I should drive it once to see if this is tollerable.

Thank you all for your input.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
maccorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:40 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
maccorgi, If it's between a FRED and not RVing at all. Go with the FRED. RVing is one of the best times you can have wether it's in a $1,000,000 Coach or a used $200 slide in camper. Don't miss the experiance, life is too short
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:54 PM   #8
DFR

Evergreen Owners Club
I have a FRED and love it over the 2 gassers I had. The FRED is actually quieter than the gassers were. We have no problem holding a conversation in the FRED at cruising speed (or any other speed for that matter). For me, the 50K differencen between the FRED and A DP was worth the buy. Whatever you buy, make sure to test drive.

340 RK
DFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:03 AM   #9

On the 2010 Winnie I test drove, the FRED chassis was MUCH noiser and much harsher riding. Not to mention the $20k upcharge over the Ford.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:25 AM   #10

Heartland RV Club
We bought our first rv last December,it was a 07 Tiffin FRED .The noise of the Cummins diesel compared to the gas was night and day ,the desil being quieter on the highway. yes diesel is a little higher in price to start with ,but it makes up for it in torque and mileage . Then in March we tried to get a camping site in Tampa. Everything was booked except Lazy Days ,never been there so we tried it. nice little park with a lot of salesmen,we didn't go there to buy another rv ... but anyway .. now we have an 07 Holiday Rambler DP ..once you go DP you never go back
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:32 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I go with the what you can afford, what makes you comfy, what you like, what you can handle on the road sure a DP or FRED is much better, for tork, fuel milage, etc, but if your not happy with it then you are going to be a happy camper, myself I have a gasser, but in a few yrs it will be a DP, but thats me, being used/new just go throgh it carefully, be sure everything works and if not get them to repair it, oh like the term "LOT QUEEN" lol,
Old 05-21-2010, 01:46 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

The price for a 2007 should be substantially discounted - more than 40%, I think. It has depreciated just like a used coach, so you ought to be paying around 2007 NADA used prices rather than anything close to MSRP. Especially with no warranty (though you may get some Freightliner chassis warranty, including Cummins and Allison). Think of this as used coach in "like new" condition.

Personally I think the FRED is a great chassis for the price. Those who own them claim they are actually quieter than a front gas version and the performance is far superior. Sure a pusher with air suspension and all the trimmings is better, but the price difference is substantial too.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallyrver View Post
We bought our first rv last December,it was a 07 Tiffin FRED .The noise of the Cummins diesel compared to the gas was night and day ,the desil being quieter on the highway. yes diesel is a little higher in price to start with ,but it makes up for it in torque and mileage . Then in March we tried to get a camping site in Tampa. Everything was booked except Lazy Days ,never been there so we tried it. nice little park with a lot of salesmen,we didn't go there to buy another rv ... but anyway .. now we have an 07 Holiday Rambler DP ..once you go DP you never go back
Wanting a DP is fine. Many do. They are fine running machines. Been there and done that. And have gone back. You can easily justify a DP based on desire for ride, quiet and feel. But never on cost for a Motorhome.

The FRED is the cheapest diesel chassis for a class A and its a $20k plus upcharge over the same coach on a Ford gas chassis. The VERY SLIGHT milage improvement will never offset that cost. Also the much higher maintainance cost and much higher repair cost. Then there is the lack of Freightliner dealers for service.

Our new motorhome is on a Ford Gas chassis (22k). The ride, the quiet and convienience have come a LONG way from older coaches. Diesel in the mean time has gotten much more expensive and lost fuel economy to the point its barely one mpg different from a same size gas coach. I get 7.6mpg traveling 65 to 70 pulling our explorer.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:22 AM   #14
DFR

Evergreen Owners Club
I did not buy the diesel for better fuel economy expecting to pay the difference between the gasser vs diesel costs. I bought it for the performance. I had too many times on the highways where I needed more power to be able to be comfortable in traffic and it just wasn't there. The extra power I now have is all I need. The 2 gassers I had, a GM and a Ford, were both much noisier at highway speeds due to the need to work harder to go down the road.

340 RK
DFR is offline   Reply With Quote