Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-17-2014, 07:37 AM   #1

Front facing toddler in passenger seat?

I have read a ton of posts about where to put children in the RV. Strangely I have not seen any that ask if it is okay for the child to ride in the passenger seat.

It seems to me that the passenger seat is great because there are no airbags and it has a real seatbelt.

I am thinking of when I take a trip in the class A with just a toddler do I really want her all the way in the dinette?

Got a starter A-Frame and are loving the low commitment
ie2special is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2014, 08:04 AM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
Real Seat belt? Are you talking about the lap and shoulder straps? Not every RV comes with both. Ours only has the lap strap so I doubt very seriously a car seat can be put there. And double check the seat belts in other spots in the RV, not everyone is actually rated for keeping you strapped in.

Thom and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 40ft 300hp RV. Towing a Fiat 500 Abarth and a Harley.
Our blogged repairs and travels
PyrateSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:54 AM   #3
I would guess the lap/shoulder belt in passenger seat is best. May take some effort to get the belt geometry right for a car seat, but that is where I would put an infant/toddler.

American Revolution 40L CAT C9
Samsung 197, TireMinder, Ready Brute Elite with Wrangler
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:01 PM   #4
Tiffin Owners Club
What about your sofa seatbelts? I put my grandkids in the sofa belts. A whole lot safer than up front where they can get slung out of the grownup size seat belt through the glass if an accident occurs. My sofa seatbelts were lying on the floor behind the sofa before I got them pulled thru.
Mel (Melanie) and Harry
2009 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:53 PM   #5
If in a car seat, they can be secured very well in the front facing passenger seat in the front of the motorhome. Have done that several times myself when traveling with a toddler. We have also secured the car seat into the front facing dinette seat, though it was a more snug fit there. They also can be secured into the sofa in a car seat if yours has lap seat belts. The sofa would be my recommended third choice, as it is side facing. Forward facing is always best.
Summerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:14 PM   #6
I will only put my granddaughter in the front passenger seat in her car seat. That seat is bolted below to the frame. I added a lap belt to the rear mounting bolts so I could secure her car seat properly.

The front seat protects her from numerous missile hazards should we crash. Too much loose stuff in the rv that will be moving at your travel speed (think 60MPH) if you crash.

The seat belts on the sofa were small bolts into the wood floor. No collision will keep those bolts in place. The sofa itself is only lashed to the floor with some wood screws (at least in mine). In a collision, the small child will now be holding down their own weight and the sofa with a poorly anchored seat belt.

Sitting sideways in a collision can generate horrible sideways whiplash on your childs neck and back.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:15 PM   #7
Originally Posted by Melmoses View Post
What about your sofa seatbelts? I put my grandkids in the sofa belts. A whole lot safer than up front where they can get slung out of the grownup size seat belt through the glass if an accident occurs. My sofa seatbelts were lying on the floor behind the sofa before I got them pulled thru.
Yes, and they are anchored to what? And the sofa is anchored to the floor with what and how many?
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:33 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I used the passenger front seat for my son when it was just him and I travelling. It has the benefit of having a regular shoulder harness for strapping in the child seat. Plus he absolutely loved the view he had driving down the road.
I also velcroed a small portable dvd player to the dash so he had movies to watch.

Herb, Anna and Lil Herb
2013 Winnebago Vista 35B

HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote