Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2013, 10:09 PM   #1

Front hitch on a 2001 Tiffin allegro bus diesel pusher

Im going to flat tow a 2010 Equinox and motorcycle hitch my 150cc moped on the back of it. I was wanting ideas on how to get the 2nd 150cc in a towing position. Should I see if I can put a hitch on the front of the coach? Can you put a hitch on a pusher where the generator is in front? These things weigh about 250 lbs a peice Help the rookie

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2013, 11:48 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I don't see any way you could utilize the front of your DP to mount a hitch...

Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
I might take a look and see what you have solid enough to attach a mount for something that heavy on. Remember your HS physics about moments of force etc?
The further you get from where the mount attaches to where it actually takes the weight of the scooter the greater the pressure on the mounting points. Most of the pushers now have little up front except fiberglass. Not saying it cannot be modified to handle it, but the cost might be prohibitive. Might be easier to mount both scooters on the rear of the MH and then tow the toad behind them. I have seen that kind of setup. Looked like a small deck behind the coach with a hitch under/behind that.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:37 PM   #4

Yeah I have seen that im just not sure I want to invest 4000 on a hydrolift. If anyone has any ideas please throw them my way.
Thanks for the ideas :-)
Old 10-31-2013, 07:23 PM   #5

Ok do you have the version where the gen is on a slide or is it solid. IF it is solid I have seen a guy that welded 2" OD pipe and put a piece of pipe inside to stiffen it and then put 2" ID pipe over it and put a U channel on so it would tilt up and down. The tail was 2" square tube and had a a slide the went in to lock it in place. He used a jack to lift the channel to put the slide in.. It was a little odd but I held a 125 enduro on the front and a harley on a lift on the rear.
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:43 AM   #6

The generator is in the middle front. It sits on a slid out so it have easy access to do mantince on. It partially slides out about 2 feet when extended
Old 11-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
May or may not be an option, but a Silverado pickup is an easy tow and doesn't weigh much more than the Enclave. You could put the bikes in there. We find ours to be a really flexible vehicle. (Not suggesting an additional vehicle - but a trade might be workable) Ours is a 2007 LT so it's very comfortable for everyday use.
Saltydog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #8

I have a chevy equinox that I have a hitch and carrier for the 1st moped. Im looking at ideas on how to mount a second moped. They both way around 300 pounds each so I need to separate hitches
Old 11-01-2013, 09:53 PM   #9

Would a solid, welded front hitch restrict movement of the generator slide mechanism? How would one perform maintenance on the genset if that is true?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Re the front axle...how much weight do you have on it now and what is the axle's weight capacity?
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Harper View Post
Im going to flat tow a 2010 Equinox and motorcycle hitch my 150cc moped on the back of it. I was wanting ideas on how to get the 2nd 150cc in a towing position. Should I see if I can put a hitch on the front of the coach? Can you put a hitch on a pusher where the generator is in front? These things weigh about 250 lbs a peice Help the rookie
Get a flat bed utility trailer that will handle the two mopeds and the equinox. By the time you pay the money for tow bar adapter, tow bar, brake device and mounting of any of the above you can buy an aluminum trailer and just tow everything at once. YOU will probably be a lot happier towing one device than double towing everything else. The other alternative is to buy a small trailer the equinox can tow that will hold both mopeds. I am not sure about the laws in all states for double towing though. In my opinion towing the moped behind the equinox behind the MH will be classified as double towing.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:16 AM   #12

I have a similar question. Do they make a front hitch for a Class A MH? I was trying to find a solution to avoiding adding weight to the back with my 4 bike rack.

Tags
diesel, tiffin