Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2014, 12:42 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
front hub leaking lube - DIYer fix?

1997 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40WDS diesel pusher on a Spartan Mountain Master chassis.

The front hub on the passenger side is leaking some lube. I know adding lube is super simple (just pull the rubber cap, pour in, and replace cap), but if the hub is leaking, is that something like a passenger car where it just gets tapped into place and removal is about that easy? Or is replacing that part beyond a normal DIY job?

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2014, 12:56 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRussell View Post
1997 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40WDS diesel pusher on a Spartan Mountain Master chassis.

The front hub on the passenger side is leaking some lube. I know adding lube is super simple (just pull the rubber cap, pour in, and replace cap), but if the hub is leaking, is that something like a passenger car where it just gets tapped into place and removal is about that easy? Or is replacing that part beyond a normal DIY job?

Thanks!
I'm assuming you have a Stemco wet axle assembly. They have a clear round window with a red rubber plug in the center (yours may be discolored). Stemco kits are available (and cheap). You just remove the cap screws around the perimeter (drain into a pan) and the flange comes off. new kit has the flange/window/gasket/rubber plug. Buy a spare. verify the diameter before ordering. you will also need new oil ... locally available ... i use Lucas.

Hub Cap Window Kit, 359-5999, Stemco - Ryder Fleet Products

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...0%20Gear%20Oil
Old 03-14-2014, 01:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
I'm assuming you have a Stemco wet axle assembly. They have a clear round window with a red rubber plug in the center (yours may be discolored). Stemco kits are available (and cheap). You just remove the cap screws around the perimeter (drain into a pan) and the flange comes off. new kit has the flange/window/gasket/rubber plug. Buy a spare. verify the diameter before ordering. you will also need new oil ... locally available ... i use Lucas.

Hub Cap Window Kit, 359-5999, Stemco - Ryder Fleet Products

Lucas Heavy Duty 80W-90 Gear Oil : Lucas Oil
Outstanding, Thanks! and yes, it's a clear round window with a rubber plug in the center.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:12 PM   #4

Quote:

Thanks!
Scott
Is the leak through backside/inside wheel seal?.... the outer wheel seal?.... or the gasket of the hubcover?

IMO a gasket leak repair will be an easy DIY project.....replacing the seals not so much, (especially the inside one)!

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Outstanding, Thanks! and yes, it's a clear round window with a rubber plug in the center.
My pleasure !! Have a look at the retaining screws ... if my memory serves me correctly, I seem to remember they are "star socket head". You can get the wrench set at auto stores pretty cheaply ... it's like an Allen Socket Head screw but not he same. Don't overtighten when reassembly ... just snug as if you were using a screwdriver. take's about 15 minutes per axle.

Like I said, order a spare or two ... the windows are plastic and deteriorate quickly in the sun ... they get very brittle and removing the plug will sometimes break the window.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
My pleasure !! Have a look at the retaining screws ... if my memory serves me correctly, I seem to remember they are "star socket head". You can get the wrench set at auto stores pretty cheaply ... it's like an Allen Socket Head screw but not he same. Don't overtighten when reassembly ... just snug as if you were using a screwdriver. take's about 15 minutes per axle.

Like I said, order a spare or two ... the windows are plastic and deteriorate quickly in the sun ... they get very brittle and removing the plug will sometimes break the window.
I have torx bits, so if that's what it takes, I should be good to go.

Thanks again!
Old 03-14-2014, 01:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
Scott
Is the leak through backside/inside wheel seal?.... the outer wheel seal?.... or the gasket of the hubcover?

IMO a gasket leak repair will be an easy DIY project.....replacing the seals not so much, (especially the inside one)!

Mel
'96 Safari
Mel, I'm not sure about the back side. We are finally just now getting weather nice enough to be able to work on it outside. The shop door is only 10' tall, so the RV won't fit. Too bad. The shop is 40x60 and it would be just right for working on it inside.

Right now all I see leaking is the outside, and I've been under it back in December, installing new front leveling valves, but I didn't look at the back side of the front brakes. The service brakes work very well, but I was thinking I'd probably have to pull the wheel and drum to see the rear seal. I'm familiar with automotive and light trucks, but the commercial size stuff is all new to me. I was thinking if the rear was leaking, I'd probably be better served to take it someone with the tools to deal with the massive weight of the wheel/tire assembly, and the drum. I shudder to think what it must weight if I had to remove it.

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 03-14-2014, 02:06 PM   #8

FWIW, mine was leaking around the gasket ... then I broke the window ... sigh.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:08 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
If it is the inside wheel seal, your shows will be wet with gear lube. Look at the drum and backing plate and you will be able to tell. If it is the oiler on the front the outside of the wheel will have cast off of gear lube. The oiler is easy and cheap, $25, the inner seal not as easy but it's just like any other vehicle.

Tags
leak