Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2015, 01:27 PM   #1

Front-mount generator slide rattles...

... and bumps on all but the smoothest road.

I have been tracking-down the source of the noise and it seems to be the generator. I have a 1998 Monaco Windsor, which has the diesel generator in a drawer at the front of the coach. The generator is mounted on a cradle with sideways u-channels, that ride on metal wheels on the RV portion of the drawer slide mechanism. There is some up and down and side to side play in the slide mechanism, and I see no missing or damaged parts, nor any device to keep the drawer mechanism from clunking just like it does.

I have verified that the two latches on the door both close securely. So my question is...

... how do I stop that clunking?

Matt B
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2015, 01:46 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe the Monaco forum might have some Xperts --> http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/

On our Monaco, it latches securely and takes QUITE a pull to unlatch and slide it it... but we don't hear it (or at least other things drown it out !)

Maybe something as simple as tightening the bolts, slides, etc ? u think maybe the wheel bearings on the slide have broken down leaving some 'play'?

Maybe put some dynomat above the generator so you don't hear it as much ?
(I know doesn't fix the rattle, but....)
There's always insulation and cushioning
Old 12-04-2015, 08:14 AM   #3

Good suggestions! Latch is tight, which would seem to prevent the front of the generator drawer from moving. All of the hardware seems present and tight. Given the play in the mechanism, I really expected to see something broken or obviously worn. There is about 3/16 gap between the rollers and the channel - it is apparently this gap at the rear of the drawer that is causing the noise.

I don't think insulation would help much - the sound is coming from the weight of the generator smacking steel against steel on the sprung portion of the chassis just underneath the seats.

Matt B
Old 12-04-2015, 05:47 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Generator mounts bad or loose?
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:31 PM   #5

Mine is held in by two pins that don't fit tight and I get a knock sometimes while braking. I think what I hear is the drawer sliding/rolling forward and hitting the pins. There's probably not even 1/16 inch of play but the drawer and generator is very heavy.
What type of latch do you have that holds the drawer in place?

1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:55 PM   #6

The generator is tightly attached to the drawer. There is play in the drawer mechanism, but it all looks original - nothing I can see to repair or replace.

The latch mechanism is substantial. A single handle, through two chains, activates two separate latches, one on each side. Each latch has two locking pawls, about 1/4 inch steel that interlock when closed, completely capturing the pin. It looks very much like the latch on a car door, but there are four total pawls, and not one.

I went under the RV and inspected the latches when closed - there is no play. I think the noise is coming from the back of the drawer mechanism.

Though not elegant and some trouble, I am thinking about locking the back ends of the drawer slides with c-clamps to see if that solves the problem.

Matt B
Old 12-05-2015, 02:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmattb View Post
The generator is tightly attached to the drawer. There is play in the drawer mechanism, but it all looks original - nothing I can see to repair or replace.

The latch mechanism is substantial. A single handle, through two chains, activates two separate latches, one on each side. Each latch has two locking pawls, about 1/4 inch steel that interlock when closed, completely capturing the pin. It looks very much like the latch on a car door, but there are four total pawls, and not one.

I went under the RV and inspected the latches when closed - there is no play. I think the noise is coming from the back of the drawer mechanism.

Though not elegant and some trouble, I am thinking about locking the back ends of the drawer slides with c-clamps to see if that solves the problem.

Matt B

That sounds like a substantial latch mechanism. That also sounds like a good troubleshooting idea using clamps to see if that secures it.
Is it possible to attach a couple of high quality rubber bungee straps to hold back on the drawer to take up any slack?

1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:37 AM   #8

I thought about the bungees, but I don't think they would be strong enough to do much. A quick lookup indicates that the generator weighs over 700 pounds. It would take a lot to halt movement of that much weight.

Matt B
Old 12-06-2015, 07:59 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
It sounds like you have one of those units that needs to be pinned after sliding back into place. Check around on both sides for evidence of holes for pins and places where pins were held to the frame with some light chains and are now missing. As A safety measure I would remove all ability for the generator to rock back and forth if that is indeed the case. This might be done by drilling a hole on each rail and using pins. I would be reluctant to trust the door latch to hold that generator in a sudden severe stop. It might be possible for it to end up on the road in front of you.
holycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by holycow View Post
It sounds like you have one of those units that needs to be pinned after sliding back into place. Check around on both sides for evidence of holes for pins and places where pins were held to the frame with some light chains and are now missing. As A safety measure I would remove all ability for the generator to rock back and forth if that is indeed the case. This might be done by drilling a hole on each rail and using pins. I would be reluctant to trust the door latch to hold that generator in a sudden severe stop. It might be possible for it to end up on the road in front of you.
That is exactly the method Winnebago uses to lock/pin the slide in place. The pin has a ball-bearing detent to prevent it from working out while driving. There is a warning on the genset to always use the pins or during a hard quick stop the genset may come out and cause damage.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:41 AM   #11

That makes a lot of sense!

If the latch is working properly, the generator would never go anywhere - the latches are huge. But if the latches failed, a panic stop could likely put that 700 pounds of generator THROUGH a small car.

I remember no signs of pins, nor any provision for them. Crawling underneath to undo pins seems like a lot of bother, but I am convinced they are a good idea.

The gen WILL have pins or bolts before our next trip.

Matt B
Old 12-07-2015, 07:50 AM   #12

Stop by some place that does a lot of automotive work and ask to buy some shock absorber gromments.

The ones used on shocks that have the stud on top.

Get under the unit and mark where the end of the drawer lands.

Now hold a gromments where the drawer would rest against it...usually on the side of the frame just past the end of the slide rail.

Mark that spot.

Now slide out genny and bolt a gromment just forward of marked spot so slide must rest again rubber.

You can trim the rubber if needed but that should help.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmattb View Post
That makes a lot of sense!

If the latch is working properly, the generator would never go anywhere - the latches are huge. But if the latches failed, a panic stop could likely put that 700 pounds of generator THROUGH a small car.

I remember no signs of pins, nor any provision for them. Crawling underneath to undo pins seems like a lot of bother, but I am convinced they are a good idea.

The gen WILL have pins or bolts before our next trip.

Matt B
It's likely my Winnebago slide mechanism is built differently than yours. I have a panel above the genset slide that hinges up for access to checking genset oil N coolant. I remove the pin, which is cable-tied to the frame, from above the genset. The pin goes through the genset slide frame and through the track frame, locking it in place.
This pin is the only fastener to hold the slide in-place. The genset slide is air-powered both directions, no latches whatsoever, just that one 1/4" pin.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:54 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Crawling underneath to remove locking pins should not be necessary. They are usually accessible by opening the compartment door. open door, remove pins, slide unit out.
holycow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, slide