Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2006, 03:43 PM   #1
JF

I, I was just wondering why does most of DP MH have their right door in the front of the vehicule instead of in the center ? In my thought it's an inconvenient because you're always have to walk on the salon carpet to join the kitchen. Can somebody see some advantage of this configuration ? Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2006, 03:43 PM   #2
JF

I, I was just wondering why does most of DP MH have their right door in the front of the vehicule instead of in the center ? In my thought it's an inconvenient because you're always have to walk on the salon carpet to join the kitchen. Can somebody see some advantage of this configuration ? Thanks

Old 05-16-2006, 05:35 PM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Smokyjoe
It's dead space,door doesn't interfear with floor-plan.

36' Diesel
Smokyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 06:32 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

In addition to freeing up that center wall area it also gives you more basement pass-through storage area because there's no steps taking up that space. You can't do it on a front engine chassis because the engine is in the way but with a rear pusher it can be done. We just use a throw rug runner down the middle.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 05:49 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The reasons alreadygiven are the ones. There is also a certain "bus" flavor to it, which appeals to some.

There are a few models of DP that have mid-entry doors. Rexhall is one manufacturer that often has a mid-entry in their line-up somewhere, but not always. These models seem appear for awhile and then disappear again.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:06 AM   #6

It would be great if you could get a front entry door in a gas rig! I wonder why they cannot figure this out?
Old 05-25-2006, 10:13 AM   #7

On the gas rig it's a weight problem on the front axle. The door is not heavy but the reinforcement required for the door frame is.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:14 AM   #8

At a high end, the Newmar London Aire pusher only comes in a mid door configuration. That's $930,000 for a mid door.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:23 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Alpine Coach (WRV) makes two mid-door models, a 36 foot and a 40 foot. http://www.wrv.com/html/alpine_coach_about.html
Old 05-26-2006, 10:29 AM   #10

Location: Honolulu, Hawaii (last fixed residence before becoming fulltimers)
You can also get a mid door on some Monaco, Beaver and Safari models
Old 05-27-2006, 07:29 AM   #11

One advantage of the front door configuration is less squeeks. Mid entry doors are located in a location where frame flex is at its greatest. This can cause the door frame to react and flex slightly with the frame movement. As the door is a separate moving part it reacts differently and can result in occassional squeeking. The door frame of a front configured entry gets nearly no movement as it is so near the front of the chassis frame.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:39 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
After owning 7 RVs over the past 30 years, I doubt that the front entry of a DP has anything to do with customer desire or function, but is simply a matter of cost. That's the reason that the mid-entry DP models are restricted to the high-end models. The choice is usually a matter of preference based on experience or the conviction/need for a DP. For us as full timers after 2 trailers and 4 fivers, the mid entry floor plan of a gasser was more important than the ride/CCC of a DP. The easy access of a mid-entry from under the awning directly into the kitchen/dining area, not having to duck under the TV, and the security of an enclosed passenger system make more sense to us. Also, most parks do not have a pad that extends to the front of a MH, and we find the driver side door to be very handy. Our W24 gives us a quiet ride, a CCC of 3K lbs+, and cheap oil changes......and the mid entry door is quiet. Not to disparage the choice of a front entry or DP; after all, there's no perfect MH for everyone, there's always a compromise somewhere.

Our blog
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:07 AM   #13

I contacted a guy I know at Holiday Rambler and he advised the door structure does not weigh much, so weight would not be an issue. I like the mid -entry as well for some of the very reason's suggested. He advised front enty on a gas chassis is not possible because the engine is in the way. Benny and I, he's my dog, rented RV's for years before we bought are first a few years ago. Our Holiday Rambler on W22 is great as well.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:50 PM   #14

Aren't you all missing the real point? If you had a front entry on a gas rig, you would have to step up over the dog house every time you went in or out of your motor home.

The only way you could realistically do a front entry gasser would be to lower the engine enough so there was a flat floor. The only other option a la diesel is to put the engine in the rear.

You would think that the really big chassis manufacturers like Freightliner and Ford would spend a little R&D money and figure that out.

Does anybody know the "wheels" at Freightliner or Ford? Maybe if we put a bug in their ear they would do something for customers like producing a chassis that really works for a motor home...........

Northern, CA
Brickem' Boy is offline   Reply With Quote