Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2015, 02:36 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Front Salon - Couches vs. Recliners

We were always leaning in the direction of having the salon with two couches ~ one a fold out sofa bed, the other with a jack knife bed. Our reasoning was that we could travel with more people seat belted in (if desired), plus sleep more people.

While we're sure we want at least one convertible couch...we're waivering on the 2nd couch vs. two recliners.

Would really love feedback from both sides:
  • Are the recliners that much more comfortable?
  • Have the sleeping arrangements been used as much as you thought (or been comfortable?)
  • If you had to do it all over again, what would you do?

Any insight you could share would be really appreciated!
MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2015, 02:57 PM   #2

We are in the process of removing the sofa/sleeper and replacing it with this double recliner sofa. We only had 1 occasion in our previous coach to have the kids travel with us. Now they are grown and out on their own.

http://shop4seats.com/rv-furniture/s...-recliner.html
Old 06-12-2015, 02:59 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
This is what we did. We love it!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/out-...ew-228971.html
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:02 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Recliners are much more comfortable than a jack sofa. Jk sofas are notoriously more uncomfortable to sleep on. I don't give up our routine travel comfort level in furniture, to accommodate potential sleep overs.
Pull out couches with blow up mattresses are very comfortable and are just about standard on all new DPs.
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:08 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
No debate here, recliners are the way to go. So much more comfortable.
TwoCorners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:57 PM   #6

Removed the monaco J lounge this week and took the other couch out and put euro chair and computer desk in 6 years ago. She bought a loveseat with dual recliners and no center console yesterday and I will work on putting it in next week. Only issue I see is locating where to put the aquahot register and will look after I get loveseat in place.

I prefer the loveseat to two separate chairs then three can sit close on the unit.
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 04:29 PM   #7

I, personally, wouldn't worry about sleepers. I find sleeping in a recliner very comfortable and have spent many full nights in mine. I often get out of bed to go sleep on the recliner. I find the position laid back on the recliner to be the perfect angles to sleep, giving support to my legs beings raised and bent at just the right angle and with my head and back raised up a bit in order to breath that much better and easier. I feel my body is much more totally relaxed in the recliner position rather than on a flat bed.
SissyBoyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:28 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We only have a living room, not a salon, but when we were shopping for ours a few years ago, we were specifically looking for a coach with no couches. Don't care for them. Fortunately, we found this DS in which the PO had removed the couch and bought two Lambright recliners. Frankly, we didn't care much for them after a short while. Too confining, too spindly, like a chair that just happens to recline. Sold them to another RVer, and hot footed it down to the Lazy Boy store and bought a pair of big, comfy, real recliners-- the kind you can settle right in to, and turn sideways if you want to, the kind that take about a minute and a half to fall asleep in! Now we're talking!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 04:43 AM   #9

After moving the TV to the curb side so we wouldn't have to twist our necks to watch, we put in two LaZboy's. The backs are removable, so a piece of cake to get in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Recliners.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	453.3 KB
ID:	97120  
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 11:04 AM   #10

I have replaced 2 couches in 2 coaches with Flexsteel incliners. They look like couches and can be mounted almost flush against the wall. I was getting ready to do the same but talked to Bradd at Bradd and Hall (Flexsteel dealer) and they suggested a different brand double recliner saying it was more comfortable and less $. They have pics and prices on their site. I have found them an excellent source of knowledge for RV furniture and they are at a lot of the shows and often have closeouts
Sky Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:41 AM   #11

What is involved with removing / replacing a couch? There's no way it would fit through the door on mine.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BgDadddy View Post
What is involved with removing / replacing a couch? There's no way it would fit through the door on mine.

Take a peek under it. You might be able to dismantle it like I did to our J-couch.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:25 AM   #13

Head to a LazyBoy Showroom, take a look at the Pinnacle reclining sofa. Give it a try and enjoy the comfort. Several on here have converted to the Pinnacle reclining sofa. I also have done so. Never a regret as they (to me) are very comfy. I too, will sometimes get up and head for the sofa, and enjoy a very good nights sleep, just something about the angle. Some have taken the sofa in and out by the passenger window, or if your door way is wide enough to get it through it. On the lazyboy sofa, the backs come over and make for easy handling. photos have been posted also check them out, different colors and fabric or leather.
olddog49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:29 AM   #14
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccsix View Post
Reclin... I don't give up our routine travel comfort level in furniture, to accommodate potential sleep overs.
Besides, if you make the guest accomodations too comfortable, they won't leave.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote