Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #1

Front suspension

Well I'm new to motorhomes, never been in one or driven one till recently when I purchase a used 1998 discovery ... Have taken a few trips and seems like the front suspension hits bumps pretty hard, no smoothness ... Of course I'm comparing to my 2007 megacab dodge i drive ,
I don't know how the new ones drive but they look pretty smooth going down the road ... My question is are they all fairly smooth, really smooth? or for a 98.. I can expect somewhat of a rough ride? Would wider tires make a difference in stability ... ? Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2013, 09:00 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What chassis?
If airbags in the front, what pressure?
What tire pressure?

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:47 PM   #3

[QUOTE="vsheetz;1565656"]What chassis?
If airbags in the front, what pressure?
What tire pressure?[/

Previous owner said air ride suspension ...
Where do I check pressure ?
Front pressure 85/90#'s
Old 05-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #4

Front Suspension

I have a '98 Discovery, 80,000 miles, rides and handles great. 100 psi in all tires. All original running gear.
smith45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #5

Are you airing up the suspension? There is an air switch on the dash that needs to be in the Auto position to air up the suspension. If the suspension air bags are not inflated, the coach will ride on the frame, ride very rough and possibly damage the suspension system.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith45 View Post
I have a '98 Discovery, 80,000 miles, rides and handles great. 100 psi in all tires. All original running gear.
Does the size of tires play a factor in handling ? Are wider tires better ?
Old 05-12-2013, 10:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfbatonrg View Post
Are you airing up the suspension? There is an air switch on the dash that needs to be in the Auto position to air up the suspension. If the suspension air bags are not inflated, the coach will ride on the frame, ride very rough and possibly damage the suspension system.
Yes the switch has a lower setting and auto setting I lower it only when I park and get off ... Other than that it's on auto ... Thanks
Old 05-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #8

I believe your 1998 Discovery is on a Freightliner chassis. My Holiday Rambler is also on a Freightliner chassis, so the ride should be similar.

I improved mine by replacing the stock shocks with Koni FSD shocks. The Koni FSD's do not dampen on compression, but dampen on rebound. This helped smooth out the ride. I still feel the bad bumps, but it is improved.

Be sure to weigh your coach loaded for travel, and adjust tire pressures to what the tire manufacturer requires for the load carried (max load for that axle). Most of us add 5 lbs to the recommended pressure for a safety factor.

I went to wider tires in a higher load range and therefore can run slightly lower pressures (still according to the tire manufacturer's chart). This also helped. Fitting wider tires requires careful analysis to be sure you have room (and proper dual spacing). I'm not sure that wider tires with the same pressure will improve the ride, but I'm certainly not an expert on that subject.

One poster asked what pressures you are running in your air bags. On your Discovery, you can not control the air bag pressure as it is controlled by the ride height valves. It's probably worth while to watch the coach (after dumping the air ...ie lowering the air bags) when it is started and set to "auto" to be sure the air bags are really inflating. A bad ride height valve(s) on the front could certainly give you a very rough ride.

Fred
Old 05-13-2013, 07:18 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good advice from Fred checking the front air bags.
I think my chassis is similar to yours and I have had the leveling arm come off the actuator before deflating the air bag. Very rough ride indeed and harmful as well.
mevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:53 AM   #10

We've owned 3 Class A diesel pushers, a Gulfstream, Monaco, and an Allegro Bus. The Bus even had IFS and I always felt that the abrupt changes in the pavement surface always felt too harsh on all 3 coaches. I never messed with any suspension parts so perhaps changes on the shocks may have helped but I doubt it.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:05 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Get a hold of the spec's for the proper ride height. Then make sure it is set properly...........It could be out of whack.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
We've owned 3 Class A diesel pushers, a Gulfstream, Monaco, and an Allegro Bus. The Bus even had IFS and I always felt that the abrupt changes in the pavement surface always felt too harsh on all 3 coaches. I never messed with any suspension parts so perhaps changes on the shocks may have helped but I doubt it.
Thanks for your info.