Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2019, 11:21 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Unhappy Front Sway Bar bushings - 1997 P30

We have recently inherited a 1997 38 ft. Georgie Boy Motorhome on Chevy P30 chassis. The front sway bar bushings need replacement, but the spec for P30 is a 1-5/16 or similar sway bar and the largest Georgie Boys ran a 1-3/4 front sway bar (that's around 44 MM ID).
We can't find a front sway bar bushing with ID of 1-3/4". (That heavy front bar is necessary to tame a 38 foot body on that chassis, I believe. ) I have done alot of searches and so far, only rear bushings of that size and they appear to be substantially taller.
Input very much appreciated,

Newbies to Motorhomes
Genevatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2019, 11:38 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Just a guess on my part but wouldn’t the bushings be the same size for the same size sway bar? As they generally aren’t too expensive perhaps order a set and try them? I haven’t looked at size difference between my rear 1 3/4 bars and the front smaller diameter bars.
Is your rear sway bar bigger than 1 3/4? If it isn’t perhaps you could use the bushings on the rear if they don’t fit on the front.

Brazil’s on the forum here handle suspension parts. Likely spelled there name wrong but spelled it as I would pronounce it.

Good luck and Welcome to the forum.

Terry
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:47 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Common on the P30 is for steering bellcrank to be worn. This cause vague steering and near constant steering correction needed.

Supersteer makes a replacement with needle bearings - the stock has just bushings.

Suggest to check if the coach has been updated to the supersteer. Check their web page for what it looks like.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:52 AM   #4

Our 1996 P30 has:
Factory front anti sway bar measuring at 1 1/4".
Factory rear anti sway bar measures 1 3/4".

We ordered new Energy Suspension 9.5172R front anti sway bushings. They fit great. Our rear sway bar bushings are oddly perfect.

Road Master makes a larger 1 5/8" aftermarket anti sway bar.

Bushings from Super Steer are:
Front 1 1/4", 1 1/2" & 1 5/8"
Rear 1 3/4"
Old 08-18-2019, 11:58 AM   #5

This part number might work for you. I used them on the rear. Prothane 7-1186
Old 08-20-2019, 01:33 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hi team, thanks for all the great feedback. I went ahead and ordered the Prothane 7-1186 bushings and will see if they fit the front bar bracket which i brought home (RV is 300 miles away at father-in-laws). Terry, I think our front and rear bar are the same, but I've been so focused on fixing the front end I have not looked at the back. (airbags, steering damper, greasing all joints, raising the front ride height). its a 1997 and the front-end was sitting really down-dip. Replaced air bags, and will replace shocks with something with a taller compressed height. Vince, I don't see any updates that would be supersteer, and former owner was not one for embelishing mechanical devices... D Gardiner, I have assumed this 1-3/4 front bar was added to P30 when they built a 38/wide on that frame. This is the biggest Georgie Boy built on Chevy or Ford chassis and I would not be surprised if they determined it needed more anti-sway.
Genevatexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
p30, sway bar