Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is interesting and have never heard of these before. I'm currently looking to replace my tires and will have the dealer look into this and install.
What is the cost of these if I might ask, their web site offers none of that type of info or no dealers.
This really sounds like a good idea.

RovinOn

RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #16
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Tough break! Sure glad you're OK! I just purchased the Steer Safe stabilizer to help me control the coach in a blowout situation and a TireTracker TPMS. Both just came in and I want to get them installed before taking the coach out again.

Did any of you see on the national news a few days ago about the coach (I think it may have been a tour bus but not sure) having a blowout approaching an overpass and crashing into the support pillar? Very scary!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:35 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Glad everything worked out OK.

I think this provides a good learning experience. First we see that a "blowout" is really a Run Low Flex failure. I just did a couple posts on this type of failure Here and Here but some people insist that since they checked the air that morning they "know" the tire is defective and they did not loose air.

Second is that we need to pay attention to the TPM warning. Now there may be times when you get a "no signal" warning which should be different than a low pressure warning. If you get repeated no signal warnings then you need to find out why and take corrective action. Your low pressure or high temp warning should be different. Be sure you know the different warnings.

Third is that we need to pay attention to any new noise or vibration, especially if it is felt in the steering, slow down and stop and find out why.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #18

To me, it sounds as though you had a leak, all-abet, a fast one, not really a "blowout".

Having the presence of mind to NOT slam on the brakes, but POWER UP, if a real blowout occurs is the real first line of defense. IMHO

Ed
Old 08-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #19
szy

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RovinOn View Post
This is interesting and have never heard of these before. I'm currently looking to replace my tires and will have the dealer look into this and install.
What is the cost of these if I might ask, their web site offers none of that type of info or no dealers.
This really sounds like a good idea.

RovinOn
That means mega bucks
szy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Original Poster Blowout

Tireman9......

Great articles that you provided with your links. I am much more informed than I was about my RV tires. I inspect mine at almost every stop. I am now a little smarter about what to look for than I was. I have two questions:

1) I have a tire montoring system. How high should you let the temperature get in any one tire before you feel it is a problem.

2) What do you think of this "Tyron, USA" system for the front two tires that the original poster discussed.

The description of the system is show on their website. (tyron-usa.com)

Thanks.

Becker
becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #21
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by becker View Post
Tireman9......

Great articles that you provided with your links. I am much more informed than I was about my RV tires. I inspect mine at almost every stop. I am now a little smarter about what to look for than I was. I have two questions:

1) I have a tire montoring system. How high should you let the temperature get in any one tire before you feel it is a problem.

2) What do you think of this "Tyron, USA" system for the front two tires that the original poster discussed.

The description of the system is show on their website. (tyron-usa.com)

Thanks.

Becker
Thanks. Glad you liked my posts and found them helpful.

1. If your TPMS monitors screw on the end of the valves I would think a max temperature of 200 would be reasonable although lower such as 170 or 180 would provide better warning that something may be going wrong. When all is OK what temperature do you see when driving on Interstate? The rise in temp. above ambient will give some guidance. If you see a 40 degree rise then you might add 20 degrees so set the warning to 60 above the highest ambient you expect. There is no hard & fast number I can provide as both your general area of travel and your temp rise depends on your own situation. I see a 20 to 30 degree rise above ambient and travel in Ohio, IN. MI, and PA so for me a max of 140 would be good.

2. The internal run-flat device is similar to what I have seen in the industry over the past 30 years. These systems seem to work. They are sometimes heavy so balance is important. There is a relatively significant cost but the safety feature is certanly of value.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:07 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As far as the TPMS (tire Minder), is concerned I called them and told them I understand why their is not an immediate no signal warning I would prefer a different sound and only once and the tire showing noS in the monitor. They were receptive and at least listened to me. The one thing that always seems to happen when you want to pull over is you may have to drive a ways to find a safe place with a motor home. I subscribe to tireman9's blog and try to have as much info as possible but then the unthinkable happens. I do believe that the tires are extremely important and that is why I have a TPMS and weigh the rig and apply the correct amount of pressure using the manufacturer's table, and read tireman9's blog. I visible check the tires at all rest stops and always check the air in the morning before I leave. I also have a crossfire unit on both sides of the rear tires and I still monitor both inside and outside tires on the TPMS. In the end the Tyron did its job and I already have a replacement on the way. As far as purchasing I would call the phone number on the contacts tab at thier website. It was forwarded to the owners cell phone when I called. I originally bought it in Hillsboro, OR, from a dealer, but the company was bought out by Camping World.
JimO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #23

Thor Owners Club
I just sent an email to chuck@tyron-usa.com . I want to know the location of a dealer in the San Diego CA area.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Tireman9,
How much did you pay for your TYRON add ons?
Old 08-07-2012, 12:11 PM   #25
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FW5000DRIVER View Post
Tireman9,
Never said I had used Tyron just that as a tire development engineer I had seen similar equipment from other manufacturers over the years.
I have never personally used a fixture inside a tire. I do use TPMS on my car and RV.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Never said I had used Tyron just that as a tire development engineer I had seen similar equipment from other manufacturers over the years.
I have never personally used a fixture inside a tire. I do use TPMS on my car and RV.
OOPS!

JimO,
Old 08-07-2012, 04:25 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers

Having the presence of mind to NOT slam on the brakes, but POWER UP, if a real blowout occurs is the real first line of defense. IMHO

Ed
Couldn't agree more Ed and it seems no one has acknowledged this most important post.

A TPMS is a great thing, but it does nothing for you when you have a bowout. Knowing what to do after that is going to save your life. I have had 3 blowouts and the first thing I do is jam the excellerator. After control is established, then I slow down. Jamming the brake can kill you.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #28
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Tyron first came from England about 8-10 years ago where they were sold and installed on English military vehicles. They started their sales operation in the US, here in California. They sold several hundred sets to our Department because a retired Captain from our Department was part owner.

I was involved in the demonstration of how they worked. The owner of the company would drive a car past representatives from our automtive unit and news reporters at 70 miles an hour and have the tire blow out at a precise moment (right in front of the spectators). He would then drive around like a maniac with the blown tire. My involvement was I set up the tires to blow by implanting a blasting cap in the sidewall and timed the explosion with millitary time fuse.

Here's how they work: On any vehicle rim, (except split rims) there is a deep well in the center of the rim that allows for tire installation. When you install a tire on a rim, one bead drops down into the deep well and allows the rest of the bead to slip over the rim. The same occurs as the second bead is installed. If it wasn't for this deep well in the center of each rim, you couldn't install a tire.

Here's where Tyron comes in....if you have a blowout at a moderate to high speed, it may be some time before you can slow the vehicle and move to a safe spot and stop. During that time the tire is getting destroyed and can be ruined to the point where the tire slips off of the rim. It can only slip off the rim if one of the beads drops down into that deep well of the rim and then allows the other half of the bead to slip off. Once this happens, the tire rolls off and you're now driving on the rim. You often see this on high speed chases after the police use a spike strip.

The Tyron device is a large metal strap, designed for each size rim, that is installed over that deep well of the rim once the tire is installed. Once both beads are on, the tire has to be collapsed (beads pushed down) and the Tyron strap is slipped on over the well and tightened. The Tyron device will now prevents the beads of the tire from ever coming off. It doesn't prevent blowouts or even helps much in the early stage of a blow out. What it does prevent is the beads from coming off the rim if you are forced to drive quite a while after a blowout.

During the demonstrations that they did for our Department and the press, the vehicle was driven like crazy until there was nothing left but the two sidewalls. Since the beads are very strong, they couldn't slip off of the rim because of the Tyron device blocking that deep well. When the demonstartion was complete, the rims were still in pretty good shape because they still had the rubber of the beads protecting them.

So their value is in preventing the tire from coming off of the rim and to a certain degree, keeping it centered when you must continue to drive for an extended period of time after the tire blows. In the OP's case, they probably had little to no effect in what transpired with his blow out. On a military vehicle that may be forced to drive with a flat tire they have val ue.

They very in price depending on the vehicle/market. I know they were getting close to $900.00 for a Mercedes. Armed with the above, you can make you decision if they are for you.

Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote