Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #15

If I'm not stepping on any toes, I'd like to suggest a Safe-T-Plus steering control. Blowout protection and reduced wander and rut tracking.

Shoptech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2013, 02:18 PM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
steering tire blow out

We were on I90 east of Buffalo when my DW had a left front tire blow at 65 mph. Lucky she knew not to slam on the brakes and was able to bring the rig to a safe stop. The good thing (if you can call it that) was that Coach Net was able to get us two Goodyear tires from Wingfoot in Gillette. The guy at Big Horn Tire wanted $450 more for Yokohama Trailer Tires.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #17

It's not just motor homes.

The principle of not braking in a blowout situation is not unique to motor homes. It applies equally to cars, pickups, and trailers. I learned this over 50 years ago when learning to drive. Pedal to the metal, then ease off and bring it to a controlled stop. I once had a race with a Michelin tread that had come off the right rear on my '67 Mustang. The whole belt came off and was running down the shoulder beside me. Luckily, I haven't had tire problems on my motor home.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:14 PM   #18

When it happened to us, I hadn't had the luxury of a prior classroom experience to educate me how to react. It just happened. We were driving a 40' Beaver Class A on a hot summer day. Tires were about 7 years old. I thought visual examination of the exterior of the tires was sufficient, since the coach had been stored inside, away from UV damage. I was wrong. A hot day and too many years of service did the deed - blow-out of the driver-side front tire at 65 mph.

I was able to get it over to the right shoulder and stop, but not without a lot of damage to the interior of the coach due to shards of tire carcass that came up through the floor of the coach, along with diesel fuel that sprayed around from a full tank and a severed filler hose.

FIVE YEARS on the tires, people. That's the rule. Doesn't matter the miles...all that matters is age, and it doesn't matter if the RV is inside. FIVE YEARS, and change the tires. That's all. Push it, and you're playing with fire.

And, it bears repeating that external inspection of the tires for "cracking", and all that stuff, is NOT enough. Tires can deteriorate from INSIDE, where you can't see it. FIVE YEARS and get new ones. Believe it.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #19

Freightliner Owners Club

Old 12-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leary54 View Post

OK. And..............????

Your point is?
Old 12-06-2013, 09:55 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racklefratz View Post
When it happened to us, I hadn't had the luxury of a prior classroom experience to educate me how to react. It just happened. We were driving a 40' Beaver Class A on a hot summer day. Tires were about 7 years old. I thought visual examination of the exterior of the tires was sufficient, since the coach had been stored inside, away from UV damage. I was wrong. A hot day and too many years of service did the deed - blow-out of the driver-side front tire at 65 mph.

I was able to get it over to the right shoulder and stop, but not without a lot of damage to the interior of the coach due to shards of tire carcass that came up through the floor of the coach, along with diesel fuel that sprayed around from a full tank and a severed filler hose.

FIVE YEARS on the tires, people. That's the rule. Doesn't matter the miles...all that matters is age, and it doesn't matter if the RV is inside. FIVE YEARS, and change the tires. That's all. Push it, and you're playing with fire.

And, it bears repeating that external inspection of the tires for "cracking", and all that stuff, is NOT enough. Tires can deteriorate from INSIDE, where you can't see it. FIVE YEARS and get new ones. Believe it.
That is Michelin's recommendation. After 5 years, tires must be de-mounted and inspected annually- from the inside, which is where most tire failures begin.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:07 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
My A had 6.5 year old tires on it and when I hit the seven year mark every time I took it for a little exercise run I worried. 7years is max. life span for me. A blowout can be a lot worse than the cost of new rubber. Some folks on this site talk about 10's of thousands of dollars in repairs when they lost a tire. I love to gamble, but not with lives or property. Just not worth it to me for a couple grand every 7 years.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #23
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
WOW! Close call! Sure glad you guys are OK! Thank God for that class and Dave's cool response to what could have been a disaster!

We installed the Steer Safe steering stabilizers on our MH right after we got it last year, just to help in an emergency like that. So far we haven't had to try them out and don't want to!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
As a point of reference for all of us, and not a reflection on you, what was the date of manufacturer of the tire that blew??

Also, what air pressure were you using??

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #25

This is good info for everybody !! I pull doubles for a living,, driven a truck off and on for over 30 years, and have known not to get on the brakes in this case. Luckly So Far I have never blown a steer tire, but a few others.. Never thought about mashing the gas though... Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #26

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yikea

Thank you for posting. I hope I never experience that.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #27

Front Tire BLowout

In response to the question regarding age of tire and pressure, the tire was 4 years old with about 12K miles on it at a pressure of 100 psi. We now have two brand new tires on the front and will keep a close eye on them.

The many fortunate parts to this experience was the tire interestingly enough stayed intact and did not rip up the underside of the MH (as well as all the other things that could have gone wrong!). When the tire was removed it completely fell apart but the outside of the tire held the inside of the tire so the integrity stayed in place until it was removed from the MH. If that makes sense.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKINBETZ View Post
In response to the question regarding age of tire and pressure, the tire was 4 years old with about 12K miles on it at a pressure of 100 psi. We now have two brand new tires on the front and will keep a close eye on them.

The many fortunate parts to this experience was the tire interestingly enough stayed intact and did not rip up the underside of the MH (as well as all the other things that could have gone wrong!). When the tire was removed it completely fell apart but the outside of the tire held the inside of the tire so the integrity stayed in place until it was removed from the MH. If that makes sense.
So, we have had two front tire blowouts on our Beaver Marquis. In both cases the tires were four years old and Pressure Pro didn't indicate an issue.

Tags
class a