Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2013, 09:13 AM   #1

Smile Front tire blowout on class a mh

Last spring I attended Lazy Days Safe Driving School in Lakeland, FL offered to everyone regardless of whether you are a Lazy Days customer or not. You don't even need to bring your MH, you can drive to it and take the class. My husband attended with me as a refresher for him since he does most, if not all, of the driving. We have a Class A 35' MH. The first half of the day is classroom and extremely informative and in the afternoon everyone drives a provided 40' MH around the parking lot, between cones and taking corners. Again, very informative to everyone.

The reason I write this is not only to show the importance of learning how to drive a rig, but how it saved our lives.

Fast forward, we were heading north on I75 towing our car on a tow dolly just south of the Corbin KY exit in streaming traffic that only I75 can have.....when our front left tire exploded. I looked up and we were crossing over to the left lane heading for the median and possibly the SB traffic. The MH then evened out and Dave brought it back to the right lane and then to the breakdown lane at a nice slow stop.

Dave initially applied brakes which pulled the MH to the left, then he remembered in class the instructor said to accelerate through a blowout....so he accelerated bringing the MH back up under control and he was able to get back across to the breakdown lane. I am sure there are many experienced drivers out there who know about this ..... but there may be some who do not realize that is how you handle a front tire blowout on an Class A MH. Between Dave's calm reaction and the instructors words and God's blessing, we were not a fatality on I75 that day.

Hope this is helpful to some others who read this forum.

Betsy
Billy Chronicles
(BILLY CHRONICLES)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2013, 09:19 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
WOW what a ride. I was not aware of this technique and will try to remember if ever needed. I hope not.
Thanx!

Old 12-06-2013, 09:24 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Good information

...and glad you guys are safe and sound
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #4

Thanks! I was not aware of that. Hopefully I will never need it, but if I do, it's a life saver.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:55 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
If you are unaware of it or interested, Michelin has a very good video on their site that explains and illustrates blowout control on a motorhome. Checkout the Michelin North American RV Tires website. Look under "RV Videos" for "RV - The Critical Factor".
Good luck and safe travels!
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
thanks for posting!
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am sure the more natural reaction for most of us in that situation would be to apply brakes but since I did see the Michelin video, it makes sense from a physics standpoint that hitting the brakes will only contribute to the problem.

I hope we never have to deal with a steer tire blowout but if so, I hope I can keep my head and do what they suggest in the video.

Glad your outcome was positive.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:03 AM   #8

Hope I have the mindset to follow the Michelin steer tire blowout recommendation too.
That must have been really tense.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #9

Good for you and glad you made out OK with your problem. Based on what I've seen of folks driving RV's, MANY MANY more RV drivers could use a good training course and a LOT more practice. Just cause ya' can afford one doesn't mean ya' know how to drive one, and a great many don't.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #10

Sounds like someone took the driving course at Lazy Days. For a free course it is probably one of the best. Even if you are experienced as a truck driver you can learn a lot from the course
Old 12-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I am sure the more natural reaction for most of us in that situation would be to apply brakes but since I did see the Michelin video, it makes sense from a physics standpoint that hitting the brakes will only contribute to the problem.
It seems like second nature to apply the brakes when hearing something like a blow-out. Glad it worked out.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:14 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the information.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKINBETZ View Post
Last spring I attended Lazy Days Safe Driving School in Lakeland, FL offered to everyone regardless of whether you are a Lazy Days customer or not. You don't even need to bring your MH, you can drive to it and take the class. My husband attended with me as a refresher for him since he does most, if not all, of the driving. We have a Class A 35' MH. The first half of the day is classroom and extremely informative and in the afternoon everyone drives a provided 40' MH around the parking lot, between cones and taking corners. Again, very informative to everyone. The reason I write this is not only to show the importance of learning how to drive a rig, but how it saved our lives. Fast forward, we were heading north on I75 towing our car on a tow dolly just south of the Corbin KY exit in streaming traffic that only I75 can have.....when our front left tire exploded. I looked up and we were crossing over to the left lane heading for the median and possibly the SB traffic. The MH then evened out and Dave brought it back to the right lane and then to the breakdown lane at a nice slow stop. Dave initially applied brakes which pulled the MH to the left, then he remembered in class the instructor said to accelerate through a blowout....so he accelerated bringing the MH back up under control and he was able to get back across to the breakdown lane. I am sure there are many experienced drivers out there who know about this ..... but there may be some who do not realize that is how you handle a front tire blowout on an Class A MH. Between Dave's calm reaction and the instructors words and God's blessing, we were not a fatality on I75 that day. Hope this is helpful to some others who read this forum. Betsy Billy Chronicles (BILLY CHRONICLES)
Been there, done that. Congrats on you safe landing. Scared me just reading about it.
RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:25 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
I have known this for some time. I just hope I remember it if the situation arises.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a