Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2012, 10:20 AM   #1

Front Wheel Bearing Conversion

Grease to gear oil

2000 Monaco 43' Signature Caesar w/Meritor 13k axle and Meritor ABS air disc brakes

Not knowing when the front wheel bearings were last packed, we decided to change the wheel bearing hubs over from grease to gear oil, and to clean and lube the pins that the disc brake calipers float on.

For parts, we went to our favorite local HD truck part store with inner and outer bearings and old wheel seal in hand. This helped the parts man sale us the correct parts: 1) two wheel seals(National 370001A-$22ea), 2) two hub caps(Stemco 343-4024 or 340-4024-$26ea).

While the aluminum wheels are off the hubs, it's a good time to clean/polish the lug nut area of the wheels.

Here are some photos from this project.

We hope this helps

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Great job and great pictures. I am impressed. So did the hubcap fit over the new Stemco hub OK? Glad you used a dial indicator to set the bearing play.

Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:36 PM   #3

Thanks
Yes, the caps fit.
The wheels are Alcoa.
They are not Monaco center caps(no emblem)
Made in China?
I was able to put about a pint of synthetic gear oil in each hub?
Old 01-20-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

So you found no problems with the wheel bearings? You totally soak and clean the bearings in a solvent? Where did you find that great jack. When I get about another 30K miles on my Sig I am converting to wet hubs also.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:22 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
That's a job well done with great pics. That is on my to do list next summer.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
So you found no problems with the wheel bearings? You totally soak and clean the bearings in a solvent? Where did you find that great jack.
Bearings looked perfect. Also, I checked the end play before disassembly and they were within specs.
Cleanliness is godlyness.
The jack comes from Harbor Freight.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:11 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Old way to 'set bearings', Tighten bearing nut tight, back off, again tighten tight
a couple mare times, to be sure that bearings are seated. Then back off again,
tighten just snug, back off 1/6, pin and lock. Now the reason, the inter race that
fits on the axle as well as the outer axle race needs to 'rotate' on the solid axle
once in a while, so when it is parked, weight of RV sets somewhat on bottom
rollers (or balls). As you travel, then bottom plus foward rollers begin to take the
work. If the axle 'races' do not rotate, then the race can be beat out and chip on
bottom of race...so grease the axle. We used to 'remove and pack' our trucks every
10,000 miles...Oil filled has replaced this packing, just watch for leaks. gene