Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2016, 11:00 AM   #1

Front Wheels Up or RV Tilting?

We've currently parked our 35 ft Class A (Tiffin gasser, if that makes a difference) at a park that, as hard as we try, we are unable to get the RV properly level. The ground is significantly unlevel, and for the hookups to work, the front is towards the lower part of the ground. If I let our computerized leveling system do it's thing, it lifts the front of the RV such that the wheels are completely off the ground, dangling with a good four inches clearance. If I play around with the leveling manually, I've got it such that the front is just touching, and I've confirmed that the rear is nice and solid. However, there is a definite tilt towards the front when I do this. Not enough for my kids toy cars to roll, but definitely enough that I can notice it.

The question is then, am I better to have the front wheels off the ground, or to have a slight tilt in the RV? We are only going to be here for another 72 hours, and the camp ground owners don't have any free spots to move us to. I've read different opinions on the front wheels being up, but it certainly felt less stable than it does now with the tilt. My concern with the tilt is that it might put strain on, or somehow damage the slides, given the forces being slightly out of the norm.

(I should note that I do worry a lot, so if someone wants to tell me to get over it and just enjoy the park, by all means do....)
Ropetin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2016, 11:17 AM   #2

Rather then worry, pick up a few blocks of wood to stack up to 6 inches high. 2 X 10 X 1 foot long, will work.

Most Home Depos and Lowe's will cut them for you.

Pick it up, slide the wood under the front tires and let it down to level.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:22 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Get yourself a set of Links levelers at walmart or Camping world. Then put them in front of the front wheels and drive on to them. They will raise the coach about 4 inches. Put the rear jacks down first for a solid footing. now lower the front jacks until you are level this should not raise the front wheels off of the ground. if that still does not do it. I would move to another spot.
Mel
Old 01-28-2016, 11:24 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't know what kind of suspension you have, but a general rule is not to let your tires hang in the air if you have air bags.
If there are suspension stops (rubber bumpers), then you should be fine.
However, if you have air bags, generally the bags or the shocks are what supports a hanging tire.
And in general that is a lot of weight which really stresses them.

As suggested, drive the front wheels onto some blocks first.
ALSO put blocks under your jacks so that they don’t have to extend as far.

The less your jacks are extended, and the more weight that is on the tires, the more stable your coach will be.

Regards,

Dan
Old 01-28-2016, 11:30 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Roptin
When I have encountered the same situation I drive my front end onto a couple of 2X12 blocks I carry as jack pads
Medic318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:37 AM   #6

Thank you for everyones prompt responses! I don't have air bags (I wish I could afford a rig like that!) so I guess that means rubber bumpers. As for blocks, is there any maximum height I should shoot for? The commercial ones (Camco/LynxLevelers) seem to go up to three or four inches. Is anything higher safe, or should I really just avoid anything that will require that?

(I'm sorry to ask such obvious questions, but I'm new at all this and would really hate to ruin my expensive (to me) investment but not doing something right)
Old 01-28-2016, 11:46 AM   #7

Are you on pavement or dirt? When I desert camp I sometimes dig out the back tires and put the front tires on wooden blocks I carry. This way you don't have go bonkers just doing one end. I never let my wheels come off the ground, less stable in my opinion and does not do any good to the other parts. When you drive on the blocks, be sure you put at least the same amount of blocks under your jacks to compensate for the lift.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:55 AM   #8

Main concern is your RV refrigerator. It needs to be fairly level. Front wheels off the ground are not an issue. I frequently park with my front wheels 8" or more off the ground for months at a time.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:02 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It may not be something you can do now, but you should make up a pair of ramps for leveling in uneven campsites. Usually, just a pair will get you through any campsite issues. A 2"x6" x 12" piece of wood, screwed to a 2"x 6" x 24" piece works well. If you had them now, you could put a small piece of 2"x 4" under the ramp, drive up and gain about 5".

The secret is to find a spot in the coach that they can be stored without taking up a lot of space. On my previous coach, they fit atop the propane tank. On my current coach they're on a shelf above the generator.

The Lynx levers are nice, but you typically have to buy two bags of them and they are pricey.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:03 PM   #10

We're on dirt. The park we're at has just been taken over by new owners and they've started putting concrete pads down. They've got about 50% of the way through, but unfortunately we got one of the old, muddy ones. I did think about digging out the back, but not sure they'd have appreciated it!

Seems like blocks is the way to go, so Walmart here we come!
Old 01-28-2016, 12:05 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Carry a series of 2x10" planks in 1', 2', and 3' lengths (2 of each for each side) to put under the front wheels for support, and also 4 - 12"x12"x2" pads for under the jacks. Yes the front off the ground MIGHT be OK, BUT if you have any movement of the coach you could cost yourself hundreds of &'s in repair cost for bent hyd. leveling cyl's. Also I'll guarantee that there'll come a time when the slope is to the rear and you'll need them fro under the rear tires in order for the parking brake to hold the MH from moving and bending the jacks that way too.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:10 PM   #12

I myself would worry about the risk of bent jacks. Tires on the ground help stop side to side movement in the front end (especially with kids running around??)
Old 01-28-2016, 12:19 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There is no "general rule" as to the OP's question. On our '02 Dutch Star DP I did it every winter for up to 6 months at a time for 13 years.
I checked with Newmar and they said it was OK
I checked with Spartan and they said it was OK
I checked with Reyco-Granning and they said it was OK
I checked with HWH and they said it was OK

Never had any problems with the suspension or jacks.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:57 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
There is no "general rule" as to the OP's question. On our '02 Dutch Star DP I did it every winter for up to 6 months at a time for 13 years.
I checked with Newmar and they said it was OK
I checked with Spartan and they said it was OK
I checked with Reyco-Granning and they said it was OK
I checked with HWH and they said it was OK

Never had any problems with the suspension or jacks.
That might be true for a diesel But is not always true for a gasser. I can only go with my own experience. I had a motor home class A that I extended the jacks to get it level and the front wheels were off of the ground. When I got ready to leave and tried to pull the slide in on one side it would not come in it was wedged. I had to get a couple of men to help push and wiggle it in. That was the only time I had trouble with it. Another motor home when the front or rear wheels (I forget which) were off of the ground the door would bind. I don't level my coach with the wheels off of the ground.
Mel