Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2016, 09:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Depends! If the sun is not shining directly on the windshield AND it's not too hot outside, we'll leave it open. We too love the outside view and don't mind feeling like we're in a fishbowl!

If the sun IS shining on the windshield, OR if it's REALLY hot out there, then we have a piece of Reflectix cut to fit the windshield.
Same here !!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2016, 08:57 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I have the snap-on variety, for the windshield, both side windows, the wipers, and all 4 wheel wells that were left by the PO! You do need a ladder to put on and take them off! They work great, and still let plenty of light in, but keep most of the heat out! And we close the curtains at night! Rail!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1465221428591.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	129341  

Old 06-06-2016, 10:37 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have used Quickshades for over 18 + years.
Easy to install and real reasonable in price over other makes.
Fits on the inside, so no going out in the rain, cold etc to put on or take off.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:48 AM   #18

Bought the Magna shade at Q last Feb. still trying to get it to go on as easy as the guy at the show did LOL guess I need more practice
mccrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:15 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Depends! If the sun is not shining directly on the windshield AND it's not too hot outside, we'll leave it open. We too love the outside view and don't mind feeling like we're in a fishbowl!
This pretty much describes us too! Depending on our location and what the outside view is like - there are times we don't bother closing up the front shades in the evening. The view thru the windshield is one of the reasons we love our coach to begin with!

Regardless ... this has been a helpful thread. We're headed for Arizona for a couple of months in September and am starting to think that closing up the front a bit to help keep cool may be necessary. Thinking that a Magne Shade setup might be just the ticket!
SpaceNorman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 05:34 PM   #20

Many years ago, when the coach was new, we bought interior screens from DimIt, in Texas. Two very nice ladies owned the business, and sewed each order by hand in their shop. They attach with Velcro which is stuck to the perimeter of the window. We have both the "see through " and their "space blanket" ones. We put them up in seconds, and remove and store the same. The added layer of the thermal ones reduce the temp in our coach by almost 30 degrees. We've measured it during one blistering summer job in East Texas just after purchasing. I know they are not in business anymore. I do not know if someone got all their patterns, or intellectual property. For my money they were the best on the market. In 2002, they cost about $500.00.

Ah well, progress and inflation.
CC Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:30 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
I'm getting sticker shock from some of the sun shade companies! Magna shade quoted $560! wow. Anyone have a bargain basement option?
Hammer bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:07 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer bird View Post
I'm getting sticker shock from some of the sun shade companies! Magna shade quoted $560! wow. Anyone have a bargain basement option?
We are happy with Prompt RV Sunscreen. Used it for two years now while full-timing. No ladder needed and no snaps, velcro, magnets or suction cups on ours. Wife timed me taking it out of basement, and installing at less than two minutes! Holds tight in high winds also. Cost for the windshield cover was $300 with case. Probably more now.

Note: Read where one guy said he had a problem with his in that the internal metal rod on each end would bend over because of the length. Never been a problem for me, but ours is only 4 ft. tall. If your windshield is 5 or 6 ft tall, it might not work as well.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:18 AM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We used the Prompt Shades for a few years but ours just never fit the way they should. Every few days or so the shade would slip down & have to be re-fitted. We do have a large windshield with a curve so that might have been the issue.

The Magne Shades go up easy, stay tight & smooth, easy to clean, no ladder, and keep an amazing amount of heat out. We just didn't eat for a few weeks to afford them
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:42 AM   #24

The cheap way is to use sun screen and fold the edge over with a hot glue gun instead of sewing and put magnets in the seam.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:40 PM   #25

Gulf Streamers Club
I love the people who will spend $100k+ on a motorhome but balk at $500 for Magneshades. They are so worth the money. Dropped the temp by 10 deg parked facing south. No ladder, even though they'er not as easy to put up as advertised. Still worth every cent we paid.
Crabb E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:51 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabb E View Post
I love the people who will spend $100k+ on a motorhome but balk at $500 for Magneshades. They are so worth the money. Dropped the temp by 10 deg parked facing south. No ladder, even though they'er not as easy to put up as advertised. Still worth every cent we paid.
I know... but since we are just getting our feet wet in the MH world (buying the towing gear, spiffing up the interior..) it's just another bill! LOL!
Hammer bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:52 PM   #27

Gulf Streamers Club
Hammer Bird--my comment wasn't directed at you, just people in general. We totally understand getting set up costs a lot of money. I just retired and we are on a fixed income and full timing so we know every cent has to be accounted for but you can't put a price on comfort. Which ever front shade you chose will make a big difference in you comfort in hot weather. We love the motorhome life style and want others to enjoy it as much as we do. Good luck in your adventure and have a safe trip wherever you travel.
Crabb E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:57 PM   #28

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer bird View Post
I know... but since we are just getting our feet wet in the MH world (buying the towing gear, spiffing up the interior..) it's just another bill! LOL!
Problem with buying cheap one is if it's a hassle to put up / take down, you probably won't bother, unless you are planning on staying put for an extended period.

Tags
window