Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2014, 03:07 PM   #1

frozen food storage

Hi all,

We are going to take about a two month road trip cross country this summer. We will be staying in both camp grounds and RV parks when needed. We want to keep provisions for about two on board if we decide to stay out, only requiring water and dump station.

Has anyone used dry ice to store meats or other frozen goods in the bays in ice chests? If so, how did it work? If you have used other methods, what and how did they work? As everyone knows, the fridge and freezer in these beasts are a little small and the chew a lot of energy if not on shore power or propane.

Thanks for all your assistance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2014, 03:30 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Frozen food storage

Personally, I would only take what will fit in the fridge/freezer. I hope you are towing a dinghy, so you can go shopping from time to time. You can fit a LOT of food in an RV fridge, plus you can take things like pasta & sauce, or other items to make that you do not need to refridgerate or freeze.

We have done several one to two month trips and never were that far from a market. Only time you would need to really stock up is if you are boondocking in the wilderness for an extended time period.

Darryl
desobelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:03 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
We enjoy shopping the farmers markets for locally produced fruits and vegetables when on the road.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:29 PM   #4

I'll agree with the others...even on our Alaska trip, we found no reason to carry all the food stuffs we had on board. Shopping in the little out of the way Mom & Pop grocery stores can be fun and you can run into some great baked goods. We also carried an extra large cooler...we never used it except to store trash bags and odds and ends.

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:09 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-386142716.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	507.9 KB
ID:	60928

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2487806810.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	493.9 KB
ID:	60929

You didn't mention what kind of rig you'll be taking thus trip in.... I purchased one of these ref/freezer for a 6 week trip we took last year and it was fantastic .... I put mine on a slide in my coach's basement but it can actually go anywhere.... Works off AC/DC and switches automatically.... It's a 63 quart unit (110 soft drinks or full trip of frozen meals) Draws very little from a 12V deep cycle battery and it will keep food frozen SOLID for the entire time....
Old 04-19-2014, 07:18 PM   #6

Talking storage

Ernest, I have to say I like your solution. I note you have a 40+ft rig. I have a 2000 Newmar Dutch Star 38ft. I think my bays may be a little smaller on both height and width. What are the dimensions, weight and brand of the freezer box? I do also think the recommendations of the other members are worthy of consideration. I sailed the inter-coastal waterways of the east coast from NC to Virginia many years ago. One of the most memorable portions of the trip was talking/meeting all the people in the little towns around the river locks. I guess half the pleasure of the trip should be the journey to the destination.

Thanks everyone for your opinions and suggestions.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:43 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
I have never been in a town that doesn't have a grocery store.

You travel for the experience and to me, that means finding and eating the local food.

We also have a basement freezer plus the freezer in our residential fridge. Those are used for bringing back home some of the local eats we find so we can enjoy them later.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:57 PM   #8

why not just run the fridge on propane when you can't hook up? they barely use any propane at all.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Draws very little from a 12V deep cycle battery
Really? My Norcold basement freezer takes my (4) 6V deep cycle batteries down to their knees if I travel all day without plugging in or running the generator. When I arrive at a full hook up and plug in, the converter goes into fault mode within a few minutes. I've chosen to only use it when I will be somewhere for a while. When I am in the travelling mode, I just empty it and turn it off.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:28 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
My Edgestar basement freezer draws VERY little battery juice once I've plugged it into AC and cooled it down to the 25 degrees I keep it at when I'm traveling.... It actually is only "maintaining" once it's cold so it draws very little.... We boondocked numerous days on our trip and had no issues... Food was always frozen ... Keep in mind , you will also have your gen to keep your batteries up ....

ALSO: we went to the FMCA rally in Perry, GA last month and boondocked for seven days straight and ran the gen a few hours each day and all our food in the basement freezer stayed solid.....
Old 04-19-2014, 10:38 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Before we leave on our 2-4 month outings the wife cooks up a lot of meats unseasoned, then packages in two for dinner size and freeze. Also repacage a lot of things for the freeze to save space and we usually come home with a bit left. As to propane for the fridge I would say a lot cheaper than Dry Ice to keep things frozen. and with our tank we fill about once a year need it or not. The xception is in cold weather when the furnace needs to run a lot then maybe two times a year. Plus the cost of finding dry ice every couple three days.

LEN
Old 04-19-2014, 10:47 PM   #12

It can be done. Just do a search on Burning Man Survival tips. Many Burnwrs have perfected keeping foods frozen as well as tips for boondocking for extended periods of time. Just put a layer of newspaper between your food and the dry ice. Your frozen food should be fine.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:51 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
I'm sorry but if I'm on vacation trying to enjoy myself two things I don't want to have to worry abt are finding dry ice and having my food thaw out and ruin.....

Ditto on cooking lots of meals on advance and freezing them.... Saves tons of prep time which is great....
Old 04-19-2014, 11:10 PM   #14

Here is a link to an an article on food storage and handling of dry ice

Burning Man Cooler advice

Tags
storage