Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2014, 06:55 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Frozen parking brake

Heading up the AK Highway with our new to us Winnebago Journey DP. Woke up at Milepost 74 in BC to a blizzard. We drove north for a while and pulled off at Pink Mountain where they said the road ahead was closed, so we parked for a while and i applied the air Parking brake. A couple hours later, traffic was moving in both directions, so we got ready to go, and coach didn't want to move. I gave it a lot a accelerator pedal in forward and reverse before it finally popped loose and we managed to make it as far as Fort Nelson where we're waiting out the rest of the storm in comfort. ABS light came on shortly after we got moving. I'm assuming this is from the rear brakes having been frozen. Do I need to get this looked at right now, or can I continue on up to AK, another 1200 miles? Brakes seem to work OK. I know what the manual says, but mechanics who work on the 45 foot MCI and Van Hool buses I drive tell us ABS light is not an "Out of Service" item and can be dealt with a little later if need be. Comments?
'04 Journey 36 with 330 Cat towing a '14 Sonic hatchback 1.4 liter turbo 6 spd. '16 Subaru Outback at home in Vancouver WA, plus a few other toys up at our remote cabin in Alaska's Talkeetna Mountains.
corprimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2014, 07:52 PM   #2

If it was my motorhome I would wait.
3wheeljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:52 PM   #3

Sounds like water in your air system. I'd suggest getting an Alaska tech to service your brakes when you can. This should fix all your problems.
jdr159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:58 PM   #4

You most likely damaged the sensor or pulled a wire loose while trying to break the brakes loose. As an otr driver we used to take a hammer and hit the rear drums until we could move the wheels.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:19 PM   #5

Have you drained the air tanks to see if there is any water. Did you change the air dryer, some coaches say to change every 2 or 3 years.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:41 PM   #6

Nothing to do with water in system. When driving in snow and in the process of stopping the brake drums warm up and when you apply them and sit in freezing temps the shoes will sometimes freeze to the drums and post # 4 is right in hitting drums with hammer with the brakes released----But make sure wheels are properly blocked as when shoes release M/H will be free to roll if on an incline.
As for the ABS I'd not worry to much about it because as you stated it is not and out of service situation.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:20 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
I second gknott's post. I've had rear brakes in buses, trucks, and autos freeze in winter after driving in wet snow or freezing rain, apply parking brake and the nighttime temp. drops. A hammer or backing up helps break the shoes loose. The fact that the ABS light came on might be a chunk of snow or ice knocked a sensor or wire loose but it's not a trip stopper. Good luck in your travels.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake