Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Fruit Flies in Fridge

I have a dometic side by side fridge and everyday for the last week I've had no less than 10 dead fruit flies on the bottom shelf. I have the vent pictured. Has anyone had a problem with fruit flies? Didn't ever notice them before last week although this is my first summer with the DP. I'm thinking of covering the 3/4 grates with a screen. I assume that the grates are this large for a reason and I'm not sure the screen would provide adequate ventilation. I also assume they are getting in thru the water discharge. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3970820405.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	386.5 KB
ID:	42514  
anewtoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2013, 09:55 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you think they are coming in the water discharge, why not put the screen on it? Then you won't have to mess with the ventilation.
You could place the discharge tube in a bottle with enough water to cover the end of the tube, or use a long tube and bend to make a trap.

Happy Camping.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:26 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Fruit flies are pretty tiny; I doubt if you will find a screen that would keep them out while not blocking air flow. There are little plastic cover things that you can put on the end of the drain hose.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:08 AM   #4

Checked all the fruit and vegetables in the fridge??
Old 08-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewtoi View Post
I've had no less than 10 dead fruit flies on the bottom shelf.

I also assume they are getting in thru the water discharge. Any thoughts?
Any resolutions to this? I have these too, except they are larger than a fruit fly. I believe they are common in an RV in wet areas, even grey water drains, etc. We have since spent hours cleaning the black and gray tanks, didn't do it... still had these flies. Found out hubby had been maintaining the tanks just fine, it's the DRAINS. So he made a concoction of calgon, and some other goodies he read about on this site, filled all the lines up, let it sit, and rinsed. No more flies. Or so I thought.

Now, we have accomplished zero flies IN the coach (yea!), but they still somehow in the refrigerator.

My question is how are these little suckers getting into a sealed refrigerator? I wonder if they are maybe hatching in the refrigerator drain line?

Eww.

Let's try to figure this one out. Me no likey!

Barb
Barb_0925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:37 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My DW would have me get a new fridge.
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by offshore View Post
My DW would have me get a new fridge.
Ha! My motto is clean it, repair it, and make do... too expensive to buy new! Plus, I'm a tough old gal!

I just need to get to the bottom of where they're coming from. Hubby's guess is the drain line.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Are you sure their not on the fruit or other things coming into the fridge? Last winter while traveling we got little flies from fruit while in Ca no less, don't know if they was fruit flies but they were small and found them dead in the fridge, now we wash everything that can be before in goes in fridge. We got a deal on some potting soil at Walmart and it was full of them another time.
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Actually just today, while hunting a cooling issue, i discovered a damaged door gasket. Rigged up a piece of window foam type gasket and hoping 2 issues solved in 1 fix. Check all gaskets, even the very bottom one even if you have to get all the way down to the ground to see it. Good luck.
anewtoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #10

We summer in the Whatcom County Washington among the blueberries, raspberries and wild blackberries. Fruit flies are a real problem. We have found it’s best to wash all fruit and berries outside. They will hatch in the refrigerator and in sink drains. Cantaloupe are a big carrier, scrub them with a brush and running water. If you get an infestation trap them. Use a wide mouth jar, ¼ inch cheap wine in the bottom; stretch a coffee filter over the top, held in place with a rubber band. Using a skewer punch about 5 holes in the filter. Over night the little devils will find their way in and drown. It may take a couple of days to get them all.
Lmar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:11 AM   #11

We'll try both

Reading your posts, maybe the little pests are getting in through a bad gasket on the seal of the refrigerator. Or on the food itself (although the only fresh fruit/veg I store in the refrigerator is bagged salad, bagged baby carrots, etc).

We'll try fixing the things suggested here and let you know how we do. Have a great day everyone!

Barb