Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2018, 03:56 PM   #1

Frustrating

Why is it so hard to find quality RV service? I do all my own PM’s and minor service but somethings I’m just not set up do. Took RV to a Spartan rep to have chassis work done and had tires rotated while there. They hit both rear quarters with wheels and chipped paint and fiberglass. Now have to set up time at a body shop (which they will be covering).

Does anybody know of a good place to have service work done near Charlotte NC?

Thanks for letting me vent, I feel better now.
Jthigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2018, 06:13 PM   #2

I've never ended up using this place myself but when we were in the area a few years ago, friends recommended Joey's if we had to have any maintenance done. They've used them for quite a bit of service and repairs on both their DP and cars and they told us that many of their friends who own RVs also highly recommend them.

Joey’s Truck Repair, Inc.

2641 N Graham St
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jthigh View Post
Why is it so hard to find quality RV service? I do all my own PM’s and minor service but somethings I’m just not set up do. Took RV to a Spartan rep to have chassis work done and had tires rotated while there. They hit both rear quarters with wheels and chipped paint and fiberglass. Now have to set up time at a body shop (which they will be covering).

Thanks for letting me vent, I feel better now.
Just wondering,
You say you had your tires “rotated”? And by your sig, you have a diesel class A. Now, normally front and rear wheels are polished on one side. So with that in mind, did you have the tires removed from each wheel and remounted on the other wheels, all in an attempt to acquire even tire wear?
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:43 AM   #4

Thanks for the tip on Joey’s service. I will check them out.

As far as the tire rotation, the tires have a little heel to toe wear on the individual tread blocks on all six tires. Even wear across width of tires. Went through the all the typical items, coach weight and tire pressures, alignment. Talked to couple tire shops as well. Since tires were non-directional, I just had them swap sides to reverse tire roll direction. Didn’t have any tires dismounted to change tire positions.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:50 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Rotating is normally not done on Class A RVs as tires will age out before they wear out. Unless the abnormal wear you had affected ride or handling, rotation was probably unnecessary and as you experienced, can lead to other problems.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:53 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I feel your pain,we only have a couple of decent RV service centers in the area.They stay so busy you have to book service sometimes a couple of weeks in advance.Fortunately I do most all of my own maintenance,oil changes,interior repairs,electrical,and even can do paint and body work.Like mentioned I've never rotated tires,mine are about to time out with great tread left.
gvette85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Rotating is normally not done on Class A RVs as tires will age out before they wear out. Unless the abnormal wear you had affected ride or handling, rotation was probably unnecessary and as you experienced, can lead to other problems.
Yes, I would typically agree. I wanted to avoid the chance of getting any road hum or noise. Always looking to be proactive, this time it bit me.

On a different note, I had front shocks installed somewhere else and they didn’t tighten one side. They just started threads and never rechecked. Turned 8 turns to get it tight.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post

Even on vehicles, rotating tires is not necessary most of the times. Unusual wear patterns are a sign of another problem.
I just took my 18 Chevy DRW in for it's first free oil change at 4k miles and the dealer indicated they would rotate the tires. I told them that was unnecessary but that I would like the lug nuts torque checked.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:22 AM   #9

Im from sacramento, ca. i use ford fleet center and camping world. i know camping world has a bad name but i really like the mechanic at the one we go too.
RideAHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:12 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I know a great place not too far away in Gafney, SC, but they refuse to work on a Spartan chassis. It's the Freightliner Custom Chassis factory service center.
Neither Spartan nor Freightliner dealers are consistently good on motorhome repairs; some of them seem like they wish you would go somewhere else. They are independent franchises, so not much that Spartan or Freightliner can do. Especially since motorhome chassis are a tiny part of the shops business anyway. I've had better results from independent (non-franchise) shops, but don't know a name in the Charlotte area.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:35 AM   #11

If you look in the Workhorse Chassis Guide, you'll see that tire rotation is recommended every 6000 miles. I believe this is suggested for both the P and W chassis. Like others have said though, it's something I have never done since my tires age out way before the tread ever gets close to wearing out.

I might start rotating if the circumstances were opposite where tire wear was the determining factor. No matter how well aligned, tires usually wear a little differently front and back so I'd rotate to get the most miles I could out of them.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:22 PM   #12

China Grove Glass, NC 152 (I85 exit 68) between CG and Rockwell
Old 11-08-2018, 11:58 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The first time I put new tires on my Monaco years ago, they jacked up one side and caught and bent the ride height arm. This was a truck tire store. I soon learned that these guys are use to changing truck tires and rims and don't care about how they treat them. I now et them know it's an RV with custom rims and they need to treat them as such. I stay close when they do the work.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
The first time I put new tires on my Monaco years ago, they jacked up one side and caught and bent the ride height arm. This was a truck tire store. I soon learned that these guys are use to changing truck tires and rims and don't care about how they treat them. I now et them know it's an RV with custom rims and they need to treat them as such. I stay close when they do the work.
Definitely good advice!

Ours has wheel liners. Found out the first time, those guys at the tire shop don't know anything about RV wheel liners. I was watching and noticed the mechanic getting ready to try and pry one off the front. Thankfully I was able to rush in and show him the 2 nuts that needed to be loosened for removal. Then on top of that, i get home to check for tightness and find that the nuts are so tight that I have to use a 6 point socket and breaker bar to get them loose. Now days, I remove the liners myself before heading to the tire store. You gotta watch em like a hawk...

Tags
rust